• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Jose adopted his usual 'park the bus' tactics and Man Utd weren't good enough to find a way through.

I was referring to the Villa game, my apologies for any confusion. I did not see the game involving Manchester United and apparently didn't miss much.

Attention now turns to the League Cup round 2 and hopefully we can get a decent cup run going with a win at home to Rotherham tomorrow

SS4

Established Member
It's gotten very weird at Huish Park as Yeovil, after controversially scoring at the end of normal time and forcing the game to extra time (I missed what happened, was listening to WBA), have allowed Birmingham City to score but only at the beginning of the second period of extra time after going 3-2 up during the first period of extra time. The score is now 3-3 with just the second half of extra time.

Worth watching on the League Cup show tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The incident at the end of normal time appeared to be Birmingham kicked the ball out to allow a Yeovil (I think) player to get treatment and instead of passing the ball back to the goalkeeper/defender as is the convention Yeovil instead scored.

Meanwhile the match has gone to penalties as has Burton v Fulham
Together with Tranmere and Bolton

gnolife

Established Member
Altrincham are the only team left in the Skrill North with a 100% win record. Gainsborough Trinity, who were pushing for play-offs last season, are the only team with a 100% defeat record.

underbank

Established Member
Morecambe (L2) against Newcastle tonight in the league cup. Should be interesting after Morecambe knocked out Wolves 3 weeks ago. On Sky at 7.30 onwards.

Dare I be optimistic? Probably not.

We handed a debut last night to Scott Wootten who we have signed from Manchester United and Alex Mowatt who has come through the Leeds academy.

Wootten, who is a big centre back scored a goal and looked solid and Mowatt looked very assured, compact and good on the ball in midfield

It was a really good game. Doncaster more than played their part but Leeds were too strong in the end, in the last 20 minutes we were superb.

10500 at the game, 3770 from Leeds, a superb turn out in a 2nd round Capital One cup game away from home.

Former Oldham striker Matt Smith scored his first goal for Leeds and Ross McCormack's 4th goal of the season made it 1-3 to Leeds. QPR up next on Saturday at 12.15 in yet another televised game, our 3rd of the season already.

Is the draw for the 3rd round tonight? Liverpool or Everton away would be lovely stuff.

Last edited:

David

Established Member
Snigger... Thought they were such an up and coming team! :lol:

They did lose their sugar-daddy in the summer though. Peter Swann did invest about £1.5m of his own money in the club since he first took over as chairman.

Anyway, AFAIK, there has been no news about a new chairman it Gainsborough yet, which is possibily unsettling the current team and putting off potential new recruits.

familyguy99

Former Oldham striker Matt Smith scored his first goal for Leeds and Ross McCormack's 4th goal of the season made it 1-3 to Leeds. QPR up next on Saturday at 12.15 in yet another televised game, our 3rd of the season already.

Is the draw for the 3rd round tonight? Liverpool or Everton away would be lovely stuff.

Nice to see Matt Smith scoring his first goal for Leeds, I hope he does well for you club like he did with Latics in second half of last season.

Draw for Third round ties will be made after Morecambe v Newcastle game (Live on Sky Sports 4)

Liam

Established Member
'Emotionally' Celtic, Champions League draw 4pm tomorrow then *the ONLY place to be*

We could end up with Benfica, CSKA Moscow and Olympiacos. Or we could end up with Real Madrid, Milan and Borussia Dortmund.

I fancy Real Madrid, the only 'giant' that we haven't had in Europe recently.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Absolutely - an absolutely horrible away trip and don't think that was publicised enough in the media, despite this I think if you played the game again tomorrow Celtic would probably win. They will definitely win the return leg.

Our new "football pundit" was certainly on the ball with his summary and prediction of the result of the second leg of the tie in this posting that he made after the first leg was played.
********************************************************************************************

The draw for the Capital Cup 3rd round ties sees a repeat of last seasons FA Cup Final between Manchester City and Wigan Athletic.

The tie that sees Manchester United paired against Liverpool looks to have the making of a good cup match.

As usual, I have refrained from posting the whole draw, as I know other forum members like to do this and I don't want to steal their thunder.

richw

Veteran Member
Manchester united vs Liverpool will potentially be Suarez first game back from suspension.

Antman

Established Member
Possible giant killing tonight with Morecambe v Newcastle?

That was surely the upset of the round? Newcastle actually winning........and they certainly rode their luck
I was referring to the Villa game, my apologies for any confusion. I did not see the game involving Manchester United and apparently didn't miss much.

No problem, probably me getting the wrong end of the stick;)

Antman

Established Member
The draw for the group stages of the Champions League will be made later this afternoon, but the following is worth noticing....
Pot 1...Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United
Pot 3...Manchester City
Pot 4...Celtic

Although Man City cannot be drawn.in the same group as Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal.

familyguy99

Man City have got Cup holders Bayern Munich in they group, Arsenal have got last season runner up Borussia Dortmund and Rafael Benítez Napoli in their group but Celtic got harder group with Barcelona, AC Milan and Ajax in their group.

Group A: Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad

Group B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, Copenhagen

Group C: Benfica, Paris St-Germain, Olympiakos, Anderlecht

Group D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Manchester City, Viktoria Plzen

Group E: Chelsea, Schalke, Basel, Steaua Bucharest

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

Group G: Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna

Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Ajax, Celtic