• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Having looked at the last minute deals, I think Everton have done best out of the Premiership clubs. They've sold Fellaini and Anichebe, but replaced them with McCarthy (from Wigan), Gareth Barry and Lukaku (the latter 2 on loan for the season), making a big profit in the process.

James McCarthy is an excellent signing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
James McCarthy is an excellent signing.

Indeed. Glad he's gone so we don't have to face him, though Wigan still look a daunting opposition with the likes of Moloney in there. Then again the Championship has already thrown up a few shocks this season. Surprised our old boy Mr. Rhodes is still at Ewood Park though. Palace have got themselves a good deal with Jack Hunt for around £2m.

valenta

It's been a very active transfer window for most clubs in the premier league, clearly spending the 60m TV revenue. All clubs have spent some money in the end, with West Brom's late capture of Sessegnon and Man United with 27.5 million capture of Fellaini.

Have I forgotten someone? Oh yes, that would be Newcastle United, who despite finishing 16th in the league after a relegation scrap, and despite other strugglers such as Southampton and Norwich spending around 30 million, have decided to spend £0 million, not bringing in anyone on a permanent deal.

Well done Joe Kinnear.
Thank you Mr Ashley.

Last edited:
It's been a very active transfer window for most clubs in the premier league, clearly spending the 60m TV revenue. All clubs have spent some money in the end, with West Brom's late capture of Sessegnon and Man United with 27.5 million capture of Fellaini.

Have I forgotten someone? Oh yes, that would be Newcastle United, who despite finishing 16th in the league after a relegation scrap, and despite other strugglers such as Southampton and Norwich spending around 30 million, have decided to spend £0 million, not bringing in anyone on a permanent deal.

Well done Joe Kinnear.
Thank you Mr Ashley.

You may enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5nfQEqGOg

:D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Cracking piece of business by Everton that, he's worth about 27.5 Clubcard points. It strikes me as almost blind desperation by United here, why would you miss a chance to buy him for about £4m less under his old contract and be guaranteed the sale? Surely if they wanted him they'd get him early on, for much less, and not leave it until half an hour before the window closes?

I wonder how this signing will affect the position of the Japanese attacking midfielder, Shinji Kagawa, at Manchester United ?

SS4

Established Member
Oh, good luck to all of Arsenal's opponents this season, a midfield and attack compromising of Ozil, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Arteta, Cazorla, Giroud and Podulski is a frightening prospect!

At least we only have to play them at home

Butts

Veteran Member
Ozil is no more worth 42 million than Bale is worth 85 million - a complete joke in my opinion.

When will the fans get something tangible from all the money pouring into football ?

What about one free game per season :p

richw

Veteran Member
Ozil is no more worth 42 million than Bale is worth 85 million - a complete joke in my opinion.

When will the fans get something tangible from all the money pouring into football ?

What about one free game per season :p

A players value should be how much they bring into the club each year multiplied by their remaining contract added to the amount the club has invested into that players development. If this equates to the above prices fair enough, otherwise a complete joke and I expect the latter

CC 72100

Established Member
Cracking piece of business by Everton that, he's worth about 27.5 Clubcard points. It strikes me as almost blind desperation by United here, why would you miss a chance to buy him for about £4m less under his old contract and be guaranteed the sale? Surely if they wanted him they'd get him early on, for much less, and not leave it until half an hour before the window closes?

I agree with you.
"Thiago?"

"He said no Mr Moyes, same for Fabregas".

"Ander Herrera, great prospect we'll have him!"

"He said no too, time to activate plan F?"

"Plan Fellaini it is."

I'll happily support any United player who is willing to wear the shirt, but I've said all along that I don't think he is the right player for United and we have signed him because we couldn't get anyone else. I'm not convinced, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
no longer needed as he has exhausted his shirt selling operations in Japan.

Apparently United and Kagawa both rejected an offer from Dortmound to go back there in the summer, so I don't think it's a case of 'no longer needed'. He needs to have a good season though, I'll say that, otherwise he may end up just doing an Anderson.

richw

Veteran Member
Fellaini seemed like plan D when none of the other targets pulled off. He has had 1 good season the rest of the time at Everton he has been average.

Also expect your teams disciplinary record to fall, as Fellaini isn't well behaved!
BBC state thatof all United's midfielder only Kagawa scored more than 2 goals last season is that true?

Antman

Established Member
The Liverpool defender (Skrtel) appeared to hit Van Persie in the head. Van Persie then gestured this to the referee if that's what you mean by "raised his hands to a Liverpool defender"?

Poor old RVP, remember at Swansea last season when Ashley Williams attempted to murder him with a football..........well according to Fergie:D
Fellaini seemed like plan D when none of the other targets pulled off. He has had 1 good season the rest of the time at Everton he has been average.

Also expect your teams disciplinary record to fall, as Fellaini isn't well behaved!
BBC state thatof all United's midfielder only Kagawa scored more than 2 goals last season is that true?

Fellani.......a lampost with an affro:D

I agree with you.
"Thiago?"

"He said no Mr Moyes, same for Fabregas".

"Ander Herrera, great prospect we'll have him!"

"He said no too, time to activate plan F?"

"Plan Fellaini it is."

I'll happily support any United player who is willing to wear the shirt, but I've said all along that I don't think he is the right player for United and we have signed him because we couldn't get anyone else. I'm not convinced, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Apparently United and Kagawa both rejected an offer from Dortmound to go back there in the summer, so I don't think it's a case of 'no longer needed'. He needs to have a good season though, I'll say that, otherwise he may end up just doing an Anderson.

Yeah I was only joking with that comment. Kagawa seems like a decent player when I've seen him, capable of scoring and creating goals.

I've never understood the situation with Anderson. He never seems to have had a prolonged run in the starting line up. Although I have to say I've not not been overly impressed with him.

One more football note. Tomorrow night live on Sky is Bristol City v Bristol Rovers in the JPT. could be an interesting match

familyguy99

Shrewsbury 1-4 Oldham JPT First round. :D

Happy that Latics won that match and are now in R2 and hopefully we get Rochdale away in R2 in that cup. :D

I see Fleetwood beat Tranmere 2-1, Dag & Red beat Colchester 4-1, Hartlepool haven't score a goal this season until tonight where the beat Bradford 5-0 :o I guess Bradford put there second team out for that match.

CC 72100

Established Member
I've never understood the situation with Anderson. He never seems to have had a prolonged run in the starting line up. Although I have to say I've not not been overly impressed with him.

I think you've answered it there really. He has the odd good game but the consistency isn't there for him to have a regular run starting important games over a decent period. Odd flashes aren't enough i'm afraid. It is fair to say that he hasn't had a chance to have a long run in the team, but I think that's because his performances when he has played haven't given encouraging signs that he would be capable of doing it. Every year I say "This is a big season for Anderson to prove himself". To date, he hasn't.

With regards to Kagawa, sometimes you can't always tell when things are jokes or serious on here, but i'm sure the shirt sales do their bit ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
II'll happily support any United player who is willing to wear the shirt, but I've said all along that I don't think he is the right player for United and we have signed him because we couldn't get anyone else. I'm not convinced, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Who is this 17 year-old Saidy Janko they have signed from FC Zurich for £700.000. He is an under-18 international and a right-sided player. I only found about this transfer when I was scouring the football press.

Buttsy

Established Member
In more important football news: Kettering are being wound up after a high court ruling. For the sake of 0.001% of the Bale transfer money, they wouldn't be gone.

Makes you think about all the promises the Premier League made in 1992, most have been broken. So much for the trickle-down effect from transfers to the lower leagues...

12CSVT

Established Member
In more important football news: Kettering are being wound up after a high court ruling. For the sake of 0.001% of the Bale transfer money, they wouldn't be gone.

Makes you think about all the promises the Premier League made in 1992, most have been broken. So much for the trickle-down effect from transfers to the lower leagues...

Let's face it, the Premier League was set up purely to make the rich clubs even richer, hence the situation where it is almost impossible to win the league title without buying success.

I also remember in 1992 how clubs in divisions 2, 3 and 4 were blackmailed into voting for the Premier League with the threat of expulsion from the FA Cup if they voted against the FA's proposals.

Buttsy

Established Member
Kettering created the wrong sort of an attendance record on 2nd October 2012 when in their Northants Hillier Senior Cup match against Peterborough Northern Star, they attracted the magnificent attendance of.... 34 :roll:

Quiz question - which football/premier league ground holds the record for the lowest ever paying attendance?

BlueFox

Quiz question - which football/premier league ground holds the record for the lowest ever paying attendance?

Old Trafford?

It was for a match between Stockport? and Leicester. It was played immediately after a Man United match, so the official attendance only counted those people who paid after the first match had finished. The actual number of people in the ground was much higher.

12CSVT

Established Member

When Bridlington Town were groundsharing at Doncaster Rovers in the 1993 - 1994 season they got an attendance of 20 for an NLP premier division match, possibly the lowest attendance for a game in level 2 of non-league.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The BBC Live Feed asked this yesterday but I never caught the answer - which are the 4 current PL / FL teams whose name contains no letters from the word 'window'?

As an addition, and one I know the answer to, which is the only one with none from 'mackerel'?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The BBC Live Feed asked this yesterday but I never caught the answer - which are the 4 current PL / FL teams whose name contains no letters from the word 'window'?

As an addition, and one I know the answer to, which is the only one with none from 'mackerel'?
Bury, Chelsea, Crystal Palace & Fulham for the first bit.

andrew bell

answer to last one is Swindon

JoeH

Poor old RVP, remember at Swansea last season when Ashley Williams attempted to murder him with a football..........well according to Fergie:D

In the coming years we are going to start hearing a great deal about the dangers of brain damage in sport from seemingly innocuous impacts. It's already becoming a big deal in the United States where numerous former sportspeople have died at extremely young ages, many through suicide. Many others continue to live with severe physical and mental ailments related to impacts suffered to their head during their careers.

The "be a man" culture prevalent in sport won't stand in the wave of public opinion when the full dangers of 'minor' impacts (even heading a ball) become better known.

Buttsy

Established Member
Old Trafford?

It was for a match between Stockport? and Leicester. It was played immediately after a Man United match, so the official attendance only counted those people who paid after the first match had finished. The actual number of people in the ground was much higher.

Correct, those who paid solely for the Stockport match totalled 13.

Antman

Established Member
Kettering created the wrong sort of an attendance record on 2nd October 2012 when in their Northants Hillier Senior Cup match against Peterborough Northern Star, they attracted the magnificent attendance of.... 34 :roll:

Attendances like that are common in the lower levels of non league and the Northants Senior Cup is hardly a crowd puller