• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Clip

Established Member
Had a ticket for tomorrows game but discovered I am now on call. grr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

Oldham match against Millwall was call off today due to waterlogged pitch, no surpriserly given it been pouring it down all day. Surprise to see Blackpool and Barnsley both won and for time beaning Oldham were bottom of League One until Doncaster scored two goals in 90th mins to beat Crewe and send them bottom of table.

I see England meet Wales in Euro 2016 along with Russia and Slovakia.

Group B: England, Russia, Slovakia and Wales
Group C: Germany, Northern Ireland, Poland and Ukraine
Group E: Belgium, Italy, Ireland and Sweden

Drogba11CFC

Taunton Town 2...Winchester City 1 (Veal 65, 69; Bentley 73)

Not much to differentiate the two teams but a quickfire double in the second half put the hosts in charge before Warren Bentley pulled a goal back, initially flagged offside by the linesman but overruled by the referee as the ball had come back off a Taunton player. Fortunately, Evesham won 3-0 against leaders Cinderford to keep us only six points behind; unfortunately, North Leigh won to leapfrog us and even more unfortunately, out next league opponents are Evesham.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Villa look cast iron certainties for the second division, similar to us at Wolves ie: no passion, no fight, player disinterest, in limbo ownership wise with terrible inept managers who are taking both clubs down.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Villa look cast iron certainties for the second division, similar to us at Wolves ie: no passion, no fight, player disinterest, in limbo ownership wise with terrible inept managers who are taking both clubs down.

Second division....Let us see how they fare in the Championship and League One, before they face that prospect....:roll:

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Second division....Let us see how there fare in the Championship and League One, before they face that prospect....:roll:

The Championship is widely called the second division by regular football followers because that's exactly what it is.

SS4

Established Member
Are we sure that Captain Geering from 'Allo! 'Allo! is not in charge at Liverpool?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
WBA's second goal disallowed because one is not allowed to give a decision against the top teams

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
WBA's second goal disallowed because one is not allowed to give a decision against the top teams

I see that you are still perpetuating that urban football myth, so well beloved of supporters of teams at the wrong end of the table.

Incidentally, what would happen in a match between two of the "top teams" when such a matter as you describe above actually occurs?

If football in England has such a corrupt refereeing system, no English international team should be allowed to play in international tournaments until that particular matter has been dealt with.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
I see that you are still perpetuating that urban football myth, so well beloved of supporters of teams at the wrong end of the table.

Incidentally, what would happen in a match between two of the "top teams" when such a matter as you describe above actually occurs?

Goes in favour of either the bigger team or the home team. To offset your next question the order is generally as follows but can vary:

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea

Do you not think it suspicious that no counter is kept of controversial decisions?

If football in England has such a corrupt refereeing system, no English international team should be allowed to play in international tournaments until that particular matter has been dealt with.

You mean a FIFA tournament? I'm sure I don't need to tell you about allegations of corruption in that organisation.

I'm sure that you, as a scholar on football, will be able to tell the thread which club Greg Dyke was previously director of and his current role within the FA.

If the FA really wanted to ensure fairness when it comes to these types of decisions they'd use the technology used by the media for years but they consistently drag their feet.

Note also how the BBC live feed, at the end of half time, has not aired the view of a WBA fan unlike that of Liverpool.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You mean a FIFA tournament? I'm sure I don't need to tell you about allegations of corruption in that organisation.

No, I was making references to the banning of admission by English clubs to the Champions League and the Europa League. Why has there not been any police involvement into the investigation of such fraudulent activity, as international betting rings can make millions out of such collusion...unless the British police are also being in some way connected with this matter.

Smudger105e

No, I was making references to the banning of admission by English clubs to the Champions League and the Europa League. Why has there not been any police involvement into the investigation of such fraudulent activity, as international betting rings can make millions out of such collusion...unless the British police are also being in some way connected with this matter.
Ooooo I feel a conspiracy theory brewing.

richw

Veteran Member
A teams approach to the ref can have an impact on decision making.

In my rugby match this weekend our opposition when ref was having pre match briefing were mucking about and clearly paying little attention. My team were polite, took notice of what was said etc

Throughout the match the ref was "harder" against them than us, including 2 sin bins. It's probably a sub conscious thing for the ref whereby a team that has shown him respect pre match are going to have the ref onside as such.

I see this as the case in pretty much every match we play. If a team is rude or ignorant to the ref before hand it goes against them in the match.
The same will apply in most sports, so maybe the teams seemingly getting favourable decisions are just more respectful and welcoming to the ref pre match getting him onside,

LuSiVe

The official coach has sold 12 tickets for Tuesday's replay at Walsall. We've lost 5 league games in a row. Things are still *bad* at Chesterfield :(

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Had a ticket for tomorrows game but discovered I am now on call. grr

What did you think of the result?

The Championship is widely called the second division by regular football followers because that's exactly what it is.

Isn't it the fact that in terms of finance, the current difference between the English Premiership and the English Championship is a extremely wider gulf than ever occurred between the old style First Division and Second Division? Being 70 years of age, I cannot recall any such things as "parachute payments" being a fact of life when I first started watching football when the "football maximum wage" was still in effect.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The official coach has sold 12 tickets for Tuesday's replay at Walsall. We've lost 5 league games in a row. Things are still *bad* at Chesterfield :(

Mark Smith says that there is not much wrong with the team. Is that statement the reason why he, as head coach, has been given the job of selling tickets? Twelve ticket sales means that he needs to improve his technique...:D

Butts

Veteran Member

Bring back "Deadly Doug" and Martin O'Neill :p

richw

Veteran Member
Bring back "Deadly Doug" and Martin O'Neill :p

Doug's got to be in his 90s now i'm guessing, but could probably still do a better job. Lerner doesn't seem to care and lost interest and it shows from top to bottom.

Minilad

Established Member
I would happily never see Ellis set foot in VP again. The current fool is doing a bad job but Ellis wouldn't do any better. He was an old dinosaur who just never moved with the times. He tried to run The Villa as a corner shop in a world of Mega Supermarkets

Butts

Veteran Member
I would happily never see Ellis set foot in VP again. The current fool is doing a bad job but Ellis wouldn't do any better. He was an old dinosaur who just never moved with the times. He tried to run The Villa as a corner shop in a world of Mega Supermarkets

Arguably under Lerners Stewardship you have gone up to Sainsbury's level (finishing 5th + 6th for a few years) and now slumped down to Kwik Save (:oops:) if it still existed.

Minilad

Established Member
Funny enough the same company selling the same goods, one just likes to mess around with coppers in their till.

There should be a 99p coin!

If there was that would be our transfer kitty for the upcoming window!
Leicester fans sing 'You're going down with the Villa'.

Chelsea fans respond with 'Aston Villa, they've won more than you'.
Always liked Chelsea fans I have ;)

richw

Veteran Member
The last time Leicester beat Chelsea, ranieri was manager. Leicester may have done the double over Chelsea that season. 2000/01.

Currently 60ish played
Leicester 2 Chelsea 0

2 goals for Leicester scored by possibly the best strike partnership seen anywhere in a few years, mahrez and vardy. Puts an end to vardys goal drought as well!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Final score

Leicester City 2...Chelsea 1

Expected result from a top four side against a relegation struggler.
Funny enough the same company selling the same goods, one just likes to mess around with coppers in their till.

Never a good thing to mess around with coppers or there will be a distinct possibility of "Collars-felt syndrome" occurring...:D
*********************************************************************************************

F A Trophy

Hyde United 0...Skelmersdale United 1

In this re-arranged match, Hyde did not take advantage of their chances. In a short period of time, they now have exited both the F A Cup and the F A Trophy.

zuriblue

There is a vital relegation 6 pointer next week as Chelsea entertain Sunderland.

At this rate Manchester City could be losing their record as the only English club to win the league and get relegated the next season. (there've been quite a few in other leagues, particularly Scandinavia - what made City's relegation most surprising is that they actually managed this feat despite scoring over 100 goals - more than they conceded!)

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
At this rate Manchester City could be losing their record as the only English club to win the league and get relegated the next season. (there've been quite a few in other leagues, particularly Scandinavia - what made City's relegation most surprising is that they actually managed this feat despite scoring over 100 goals - more than they conceded!)

In cricket, Lancashire have done it. :D:D:D