• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Darandio

Established Member
Champions League Quarter Final Draw

Barcelona v AS Roma
Sevilla v Bayern Munich
Juventus v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Man City

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pakenhamtrain

Just seen the Arsenal highlights. That was a disgraceful dive by Welbeck for the penalty. I’m astonished the goal line official gave that. What are they for if they’re giving garbage like that?
Diving is such a scrooge around the wall. Referees and leagues do stuff all about it. Send a few off and see how quickly it stops.

Antman

Established Member
Champions League Quarter Final Draw

Barcelona v AS Roma
Sevilla v Bayern Munich
Juventus v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Man City

Barca, Bayern, Real and City I reckon!

Repeat of last years final.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antman

Established Member
Diving is such a scrooge around the wall. Referees and leagues do stuff all about it. Send a few off and see how quickly it stops.

It's often difficult to spot with the naked eye hence the need for VAR. I agree it should be a red card offence, it's just blatant cheating.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's often difficult to spot with the naked eye hence the need for VAR. I agree it should be a red card offence, it's just blatant cheating.

What really grated about Welbeck was not only was it a hilariously obvious dive, it was literally right in front of the goal line assistant referee. The referee wasn’t going to give it until the assistant said it was a foul.

fowler9

Established Member
Loosely related to football but not sure it's worth it's own thread:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43424172

A section of Liverpool fans making something out of nothing in my opinion.
A Man U fan has used it to make a sick joke already. As far as I can tell said joke has been removed from the internet. I'm sure it wasn't meant badly but it did look a bit iffy. The shirt I mean, not the sick joke.

Last edited:

Dentonian

Established Member
It seemed to me to be at the higher end of how dangerous using a mobile phone while driving can be. Did he get the sympathy vote. I am surprised more has not been said about it.

If Media reports are true he probably did get the sympathy vote from GMP, given he is apparently "time rich" and "money poor", having been unemployed for the lat two years........................

Dentonian

Established Member
What really grated about Welbeck was not only was it a hilariously obvious dive, it was literally right in front of the goal line assistant referee. The referee wasn’t going to give it until the assistant said it was a foul.

An Arsenal player diving! Non, bien sur.

Antman

Established Member
The VAR in my experience (We've had it in the A-League this year) has been nothing short of farcical. The person operating cant spot blatant stuff.

I think it's generally worked very well, yes I know there have been a few hiccups but they have been somewhat exaggerated.

I'm glad VAR is being used in this years World Cup, hopefully no more diving?

Last edited by a moderator:

SS4

Established Member
I'm glad VAR is being used in this years World Cup, hopefully no more diving?

1320529223886.jpg

Picture is of Bender from the show futurama laughing with caption Oh wait. You're serious? Let me laugh even harder

Relating to Spurs getting through to the semi final of the FA Cup will they get to play at home making a farce of neutral ground?

familyguy99

Oldham 0-2 Portsmouth

It sound like Oldham were very poor today in Snowy conduction at Boundary Park in which Portsmouth took advantage of that and scored two goals in first half to win match. I did notice this match was suspended for 10 mins in second half as snow come down quite heavy and at one stage it look like ref was about to abandoned the match. This result leave Oldham two points ahead of drop zone and with Walsall match next weekend getting call off it would mean by next Saturday Oldham will have two games in hand over teams around them which may help Latics avoid drop if they can win both of games in hand.

Established Member
Great wins for Liverpool (5-0) and Sheffield Wednesday (2-1) today, very pleased with both of those results.

A key three points for both teams.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik 1st Division North

Hyde United 2...Bamber Bridge 1

This top-four match was not affected by the weather as much as other local non-league matches and was 1-1 at half time, but stronger pressure in the second half by Hyde saw them score the winner mid-way in the second half, keeping them still at the top of the division (at least until South Shields play their three games in hand).

Third placed Scarborough Athletic who had a 7-0 win in their mid-week North Riding Senior Cup match over Thornaby, must have viewed their home league match against mid-table Colwyn Bay with confidence, but lost 0-2.

Kite159

Veteran Member
1320529223886.jpg

Picture is of Bender from the show futurama laughing with caption Oh wait. You're serious? Let me laugh even harder

Relating to Spurs getting through to the semi final of the FA Cup will they get to play at home making a farce of neutral ground?

I was thinking along the same lines, the semi-finals are meant to be held at a neutral ground so it shouldn't be held at Wembley as that can't be classed as a neutral ground seeing as Spuds are playing their home games there this season.

I bet the FA are hoping they get knocked out in the semi-finals, as otherwise they will probably have to shift the final to another stadium, again due to the neutral ground rules. Also the holder of the key to the Spuds trophy cabinet as he misplaced it around 9 years ago and is hoping nobody noticed it :lol:

Antman

Established Member
I was thinking along the same lines, the semi-finals are meant to be held at a neutral ground so it shouldn't be held at Wembley as that can't be classed as a neutral ground seeing as Spuds are playing their home games there this season.

I bet the FA are hoping they get knocked out in the semi-finals, as otherwise they will probably have to shift the final to another stadium, again due to the neutral ground rules. Also the holder of the key to the Spuds trophy cabinet as he misplaced it around 9 years ago and is hoping nobody noticed it :lol:

It is ridiculous that Tottenham get 'home' advantage, especially when they came out of the bag second.

I don't think a neutral venue is necessary for the semi finals anymore, years ago it was only the big grounds like Villa Park that could accommodate the big crowd, but most prem grounds could nowadays and FA Cup semi finals aren't the huge games that they once were.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It is ridiculous that Tottenham get 'home' advantage, especially when they came out of the bag second.

I don't think a neutral venue is necessary for the semi finals anymore, years ago it was only the big grounds like Villa Park that could accommodate the big crowd, but most prem grounds could nowadays and FA Cup semi finals aren't the huge games that they once were.

Looking over the list of FA Cup Semi-Finals on Wikipedia, it seems that every year the Semi-Finals have been hosted at a neutral ground. Man Utd vs Spuds should be played at somewhere like Villa Park a true neutral ground. The FA won't like it as it means losing on revenue from having the semi-final at Wembley, but is it worth throwing away ~ 150 years of tradition for?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The FA are contractually tied down to semis at Wemblet aren't they? It was one of the conditions that came attached to the gargantuan rebuilding bill for the place.

Antman

Established Member
Looking over the list of FA Cup Semi-Finals on Wikipedia, it seems that every year the Semi-Finals have been hosted at a neutral ground. Man Utd vs Spuds should be played at somewhere like Villa Park a true neutral ground. The FA won't like it as it means losing on revenue from having the semi-final at Wembley, but is it worth throwing away ~ 150 years of tradition for?

I don't see why they can't be held at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge as they came out the bag first?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Who knows? The first step towards irrelevance was having the semi finals played at Wembley - totally devaluing the final. The second step was allowing teams to use it as their home ground.