• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Doesn't mean it has to stay that way, the FA Cup is not what it once was.

Kids today. FA Cup semi finals are played at a neutral venue. They have been since 1872. it is wrong Spuds are to play at "home" in the semi final. The FA chose to stage semi there to claw back some of the money spent on the new Wembley so should move this game.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Kids today. FA Cup semi finals are played at a neutral venue. They have been since 1872. it is wrong Spuds are to play at "home" in the semi final. The FA chose to stage semi there to claw back some of the money spent on the new Wembley so should move this game.

Nothing is forever, who would have thought the final would be put back to a 5.30 kick off? The reality is it's just another game nowadays, the play off finals are bigger games.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Looking over the list of FA Cup Semi-Finals on Wikipedia, it seems that every year the Semi-Finals have been hosted at a neutral ground. Man Utd vs Spuds should be played at somewhere like Villa Park a true neutral ground. The FA won't like it as it means losing on revenue from having the semi-final at Wembley, but is it worth throwing away ~ 150 years of tradition for?
Shouldn't matter where the game is played. The "correct" outcome of that game should be eleven red cards per team, both teams spanked and disqualified from the competition for fighting with their own fans. :lol:

(I can dream...)

SteveP29

I was thinking along the same lines, the semi-finals are meant to be held at a neutral ground so it shouldn't be held at Wembley as that can't be classed as a neutral ground seeing as Spuds are playing their home games there this season

But they don't get first dibs on the tickets as if they were actually at home.
The ticket allocation will be split between the two teams, it's not like Man Utd will get an allocation of 3,000 tickets like we and a lot of other Premier League clubs have been offered this season.
The only advantage they'll have will be that they've played on the pitch before

Antman

Established Member
there speaks a premier league generation fan.

Just moving with the times.

Nowadays an FA Cup weekend has the same feel as an international break.

I've even heard fans of lower league clubs say they're not interested in the FA Cup and a play off place is a far bigger priority.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just moving with the times.

Nowadays an FA Cup weekend has the same feel as an international break.

Which club so you support? Manure? Spuds? Citeh?

I reaslise you are conditioned by the constant sky hype about the premier league it's greatness and how football only started in 1992 or how Harry Kane is the greatest player ever in a calendar year but those of us who support proper clubs don't really share that view.

The FA Cup is important to us.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Could be a bit of a story with the Derby v Cardiff game being called off yesterday.

Having left South Wales at about 5am, we were told at about 8:30am that the game was off so had to turn around near Worcester and head back.

But the story is that from what fans who were already up there were saying / posting, and from what some of the Cardiff players were also saying / posting, there is no real reason why the game could not have been played.

The pitch was fine, the area around the stadium was fine, the pub next to the stadium was open and encouraging visitors, the shops by the stadium were open, the Derby club shop itself advertised themselves as being open and encouraged fans to pop in on Twitter despite the postponement (that tweet was quickly deleted though, I wonder why!!), Derby police have said it wasn't them who called the game off and that it was the club, there have now been multiple reasons given for the postponement and at different times (the guy who runs the Cardiff Supporters Club was told it was off at just gone 8am due to staff not being able to get in, Derby police tweeted at 8:15am to say it was off for safety reasons, it was made official by Derby Country FC at 8:30am also citing safety reasons and the BBC were saying it was off due to a frozen ptich, despite Derby having undersoil heating, and the EFL put out a statement in the afternoon saying it was cancelled after discussions between Derby Country, the police and the local Safety Advisory Group), from what Neil Warnock has said there were no match day staff at Pride Park to meet the Cardiff Squad or to explain the situation.

Add to that the fact that Derby played Fulham at home two weeks ago when the snow was a fair bit worse and that they currently have an injury crisis and from reports only had 10 first team players train on Friday. It all sounds somewhat suspicious! Of course the EFL have already backed Derby County, without looking at any of the evidence. But it just seems really dodgy to me.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Onto actual football:

Darlington 6 v North Ferriby UTD 0. Decent home result in terrible conditions against ta side rock bottom of the league. Darlo now up to 10th (!) just 2 (!) points of the final play off place held by Spenymoor. They have lots of games in hand (as we have played the most games out of the top half) so a play off push is, i think, out of the question. Recent form has been outstanding and fears of relegation eased considerably!

However the game i went to watch this weekend was:

Middlesbrough 1 v Brentford 1 Boro took the lead through Adama Traore who cut in from the wing and beta the keeper low down. Brentford equalized through Lewis Macleod. A draw was a fair result but Boro made Brentford look good by not being on the pace, standing off far too much, being to deep ( leaving Bamford isolated) and not getting tight to the Bees midfield. Brentford were a nice team but nothing special. Boro seemed lethargic.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Could be a bit of a story with the Derby v Cardiff game being called off yesterday.

Having left South Wales at about 5am, we were told at about 8:30am that the game was off so had to turn around near Worcester and head back.

But the story is that from what fans who were already up there were saying / posting, and from what some of the Cardiff players were also saying / posting, there is no real reason why the game could not have been played.

The pitch was fine, the area around the stadium was fine, the pub next to the stadium was open and encouraging visitors, the shops by the stadium were open, the Derby club shop itself advertised themselves as being open and encouraged fans to pop in on Twitter despite the postponement (that tweet was quickly deleted though, I wonder why!!), Derby police have said it wasn't them who called the game off and that it was the club, there have now been multiple reasons given for the postponement and at different times (the guy who runs the Cardiff Supporters Club was told it was off at just gone 8am due to staff not being able to get in, Derby police tweeted at 8:15am to say it was off for safety reasons, it was made official by Derby Country FC at 8:30am also citing safety reasons and the BBC were saying it was off due to a frozen ptich, despite Derby having undersoil heating, and the EFL put out a statement in the afternoon saying it was cancelled after discussions between Derby Country, the police and the local Safety Advisory Group), from what Neil Warnock has said there were no match day staff at Pride Park to meet the Cardiff Squad or to explain the situation.

Add to that the fact that Derby played Fulham at home two weeks ago when the snow was a fair bit worse and that they currently have an injury crisis and from reports only had 10 first team players train on Friday. It all sounds somewhat suspicious! Of course the EFL have already backed Derby County, without looking at any of the evidence. But it just seems really dodgy to me.
I see that and raise you Saturday's postponement at Gillingham. Going as far as using old pictures of the away stand to justify the call.

Antman

Established Member

I reaslise you are conditioned by the constant sky hype about the premier league it's greatness and how football only started in 1992 or how Harry Kane is the greatest player ever in a calendar year but those of us who support proper clubs don't really share that view.

None of the above.

The FA Cup was great once but I think it's fair to say that it's been in steady decline for some years now and probably on a par with domestic cup competitions in other countries?

SteveP29

they currently have an injury crisis and from reports only had 10 first team players train on Friday.

Got it in one.

Middlesbrough did the same to Newcastle a few years back, even though, like Pride Park, the area around and the ground and pitch itself were clear of snow and ice. Boro compliant referee Jeff Winter agreed the pitch was unplayable, the club stated the surrounding areas were dangerous. Funny how Boro had no fit centre halves at the time, a right chin stroker eh!!

Minilad

Established Member
None of the above.

The FA Cup was great once but I think it's fair to say that it's been in steady decline for some years now and probably on a par with domestic cup competitions in other countries?

Well I would consider Germany and Spain to be the closest to the English in terms of prestige and exposure and in both countries the cup is taken seriously. You don't see the same attitude to the cup that you do here.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Well I would consider Germany and Spain to be the closest to the English in terms of prestige and exposure and in both countries the cup is taken seriously. You don't see the same attitude to the cup that you do here.

I don't believe that easily available TV coverage of football has helped: this used to be one of the few games that was televised live and the build up was immense to the 3pm klck-off. Now it's just seen as another big game, or a less important game if one of the finanalists is not in the PL top 6.

Nowadays most PL fans can watch any of their teams games from the comfort of their armchair; there's no need to get excited about a footy game on telly.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I see that and raise you Saturday's postponement at Gillingham. Going as far as using old pictures of the away stand to justify the call.

Being honest I have not seen that, although I certainly feel very sorry for any Blackburn fans who traveled considering the distance!

Middlesbrough did the same to Newcastle a few years back, even though, like Pride Park, the area around and the ground and pitch itself were clear of snow and ice. Boro compliant referee Jeff Winter agreed the pitch was unplayable, the club stated the surrounding areas were dangerous. Funny how Boro had no fit centre halves at the time, a right chin stroker eh!!

I know Boro actually had points deducted 19 years ago for doing the same thing against Blackburn!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I know Boro actually had points deducted 19 years ago for doing the same thing against Blackburn!

Wasn't that the time they claimed the whole team was sick or something? I remember that happening.

The whole team was sick.The club said a Virus. They were relegated that season. it still upsets Boro fans. They feel the FA screwed them. Boro have always maintained they were told by the Premier League they could cancel the game. There are some details here:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/boro-blackburn-three-points-deduction-6771285
http://miniboro.com/the-three-point-fiasco-steve-gibsons-letter

muddythefish

On Moderation
Being honest I have not seen that, although I certainly feel very sorry for any Blackburn fans who traveled considering the distance!

Yep, 1,000 plus Rovers fans are very disgruntled with Gillingham and have made a complaint to the EFL - though they've received less encouragement from the authorities than Cardiff.

Rovers (for once) have done the right thing and reimbursed those who made the trip.

greyman42

Established Member
The FA are contractually tied down to semis at Wemblet aren't they? It was one of the conditions that came attached to the gargantuan rebuilding bill for the place.
Correct. Nobody else on this forum seems to be aware of this. So it ends the debate.

Dentonian

Established Member

Strange to include "Citeh" if you are (understandably) criticising the influence of "1992". Remember, The PL was formed out of the greed of five clubs who wanted to break away from the rest. Those five were Man United, the two North London clubs and the two clubs either side Stanley Park. NOT Man City (or indeed, Chelsea).

Antman

Established Member
Correct. Nobody else on this forum seems to be aware of this. So it ends the debate.

Well no it doesn't end the debate, whether it was wise for the FA to enter such an arrangement is open to debate. Presumably they were hoping Tottenham wouldn't get to the semi finals?

Antman

Established Member
I don't believe that easily available TV coverage of football has helped: this used to be one of the few games that was televised live and the build up was immense to the 3pm klck-off. Now it's just seen as another big game, or a less important game if one of the finanalists is not in the PL top 6.

Nowadays most PL fans can watch any of their teams games from the comfort of their armchair; there's no need to get excited about a footy game on telly.

I think you've summed it up perfectly and I think the championship play off final is a bigger game nowadays.

Antman

Established Member

This certainly does seem a strange one, surely the club can't take the decision to call a game off? It has to be the referee or the police doesn't it?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Strange to include "Citeh" if you are (understandably) criticising the influence of "1992". Remember, The PL was formed out of the greed of five clubs who wanted to break away from the rest. Those five were Man United, the two North London clubs and the two clubs either side Stanley Park. NOT Man City (or indeed, Chelsea).

I know who was in the Premier League when it broke away and why it happend. The point is that the yoof today will follow the clubs who win the PL. That includes Citeh. Many of the posters on this board are young so supporting Citeh is seen as natural.

I think you've summed it up perfectly and I think the championship play off final is a bigger game nowadays.

it might be for kids brought up in the PL hype bubble. The rest of us don't really agree. The FA cup is a lifeline for smaller clubs, not just at round 3 but at the very early rounds. The prize money per round at that stage, while peanuts for PLK clubs, is a really big boost to finances. That would be the rounds the PL clubs don't know exist and their fans snigger at.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
it might be for kids brought up in the PL hype bubble. The rest of us don't really agree. The FA cup is a lifeline for smaller clubs, not just at round 3 but at the very early rounds. The prize money per round at that stage, while peanuts for PLK clubs, is a really big boost to finances. That would be the rounds the PL clubs don't know exist and their fans snigger at.

I would say it's not "kids" - it's all those who support PL teams. Those invested in the lower leagues have an interest, both football and financial. Those who primarily follow PL teams won't even see it on their radar until they are drawn against a minnow on a rampaging cup run.

Don't be too dismissive of all PL fans - I do have a Season Ticket for Citeh, a team I have followed since moving here over 30 years ago, which takes me out of the "kid" bracket. This weekend I'll be taking a trip out to see my hometown team get beaten at Coventry, so it is possible to appreciate both ends of the spectrum.

Dentonian

Established Member
I know who was in the Premier League when it broke away and why it happend. The point is that the yoof today will follow the clubs who win the PL. That includes Citeh. Many of the posters on this board are young so supporting Citeh is seen as natural.

Maybe so, but the twisted history brigade try and claim that City didn't have any Support (or success) before 2008. Something, I'm sure the Treasurers of the other 23 clubs in the 3rd Tier back in 1998/9 will quickly correct them on, as will a closer look at REAL statistics (eg. Attendances before WW2, not least 1927/8) and significantly more trophies than Chelsea had before Ken Bates' cheque book arrived. Indeed, history will probably show that City made one big mistake in their history, and that was not promoting their pre-WW2 captain to manager before he was poached by the neighbours. I am of course, talking about Matt Busby.