• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Established Member
I just noticed Sheffield Wednesday won today (Jordan Rhodes scoring the game's only goal) as well, a good day for both of my teams. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The big football news is, of course, that Wolves will be in the Premier League next year.
C’mon me babbies!

:D:D:D:D

Established Member
The big football news is, of course, that Wolves will be in the Premier League next year.
C’mon me babbies!

:D:D:D:D

I really like Ruben Neves, he's a very, very good player.

Congratulations to Wolves on their thoroughly deserved promotion. :)

zuriblue

That is actually a perfect example of Typical City - beating your hated rivals at their own ground one week, crowing about it all week, then handing them the title by losing to the bottom team next week. As a supporter of a team with a long record of cups for cockups (City) this one was a classic.

Groningen

Established Member
We (in the Netherlands) (mostly) hate Mourinho, because of his style of football with expensive players.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Safety is now so close we can almost touch it... but our remaining games are Everton (h); Chelsea & City (both away) and Arsenal (h) on the final day... hopefully all 4 will be on the beach!

greyman42

Established Member
That is actually a perfect example of Typical City - beating your hated rivals at their own ground one week, crowing about it all week, then handing them the title by losing to the bottom team next week. As a supporter of a team with a long record of cups for cockups (City) this one was a classic.
I would of thought it was a bit of a anti-climax winning the league in this fashion?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Safety is now so close we can almost touch it... but our remaining games are Everton (h); Chelsea & City (both away) and Arsenal (h) on the final day... hopefully all 4 will be on the beach!
You don't need Arsenal to be on the beach. They are awful already. Relegation fodders next year.

Almost guaranteed 3 points. :lol:

Until I read the match report, I didn't realise Arsenal are the only team to have not taken a single point away from home in the league in 2018 across the top four divisions.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Best wishes to these tonight.....

It'd be great to see them in the third division.
They made it! A trip to Accrington Stanley in the league will be quite the culture-shock to those Sunderland players who were visiting Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge 2 years earlier!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Shrewsbury's 'unfortunate' loss last night means we retain our 5 point advantage over them with 4 games to play; promotion can officially be achieved as early as Tuesday, but is more likely to be next Saturday.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Shrewsbury's 'unfortunate' loss last night means we retain our 5 point advantage over them with 4 games to play; promotion can officially be achieved as early as Tuesday, but is more likely to be next Saturday.

This is Rovers ...... it won't be that easy !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
recent results for Darlo after a couple of weeks off due to water logged pitches:

Lost 2-1 v Boston
Won 2-1 v FC united

Won tonight 2-1 v Spennymoor in their derby game/cup final. I think that puts us up to 10th.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Altrincham's win at Shaw Lane last night in the Evo-stick Premier leaves them with just one point required from their last three games to gain promotion straight back to the Conference North.

This was the fourth attempt to get this fixture fulfilled and has led to questions being asked as to how to deal with such fixture baglogs in the future.

Onwards to Grantham Town tomorrow and hopefully a championship won in Maggie's back yard.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Arsene Wenger leaves Arsenal at the end of the season - a year before his contract ends. He's done a lot for Arsenal but seemed a bit stale in the last few seasons. Who could they get to replace him? Might Arsenal end up in the same situation as Man Utd who struggled (and maybe still are struggling) to replace Alex Ferguson?

Karl

On Moderation
Arsene Wenger.

Got to give credit to the bloke. Over 20 years of service.

Sir Alex Ferguson and now Arsene Wenger. Two top blokes. They're going to be missed.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Arsene Wenger leaves Arsenal at the end of the season - a year before his contract ends. He's done a lot for Arsenal but seemed a bit stale in the last few seasons. Who could they get to replace him? Might Arsenal end up in the same situation as Man Utd who struggled (and maybe still are struggling) to replace Alex Ferguson?

It's now a tug of war between PSG and Arsenal for Thomas Tuchel.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I think what Arsenal fans need to realise, is that whoever they get may not be a Conte or Guardiola who will come and win trophies at the first time of asking, but might in fact be a Moyes who struggles to fit in at a big club :)

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I think what Arsenal fans need to realise, is that whoever they get may not be a Conte or Guardiola who will come and win trophies at the first time of asking, but might in fact be a Moyes who struggles to fit in at a big club :)

Pep won nothing in his first year, PL Champions and the EFL Cup in his second. Not the clean sweep many predicted. And that performance was with a substantial budget.

Given the state of the Arsenal squad, I can see a few years of disappointment for the fans.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Definitely hope Arsenal make it to the Europa League final then... if we need anything on the final day it had better not be Arsene's Grand Depart!

Established Member
Arsenal will probably have to go through a five year nadir like Liverpool did. Hard times ahead.

I think so too.

I have a friend who is an Arsenal supporter and he's wanted Wenger to go longer than I've known him, so I've got no doubt he will be pleased.

Antman

Established Member
I think so too.

I have a friend who is an Arsenal supporter and he's wanted Wenger to go longer than I've known him, so I've got no doubt he will be pleased.

The gooners I know are over the moon about it, he done well initially to be fair but the club have stagnated for years, Wenger has been in a comfort zone and so have many of the players. Was it his own decision? I suspect not

Rafa is the name on a few lips!

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
I believe Arsene has overachieved with the resource available to him.

Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche will become longest serving manager at premier league clubs. Eddie of course quit Burnley to return to Bournemouth with Sean taking over a couple of weeks later

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Those of us looking forward to arriving at Kidderminster by steam from Bridgnorth for Bradford's last game of the season on April 28th are in for a huge disappointment. The SVR is running a special event for kids connected with something called PAW patrol. Not only will the trains be packed with the little horrors - all the useful workings have sold out. I am not amused.