• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think the "luck" we've had in the Champions League is the least we deserve after the ridiculous amount of decisions which have gone against us in the league this season.

Yeah, Liverpool were so lucky (!) against Roma what with that absolute bull poop penalty given against Milner in the first leg, and scoring an own goal with his face in the second leg.

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, Liverpool were so lucky (!) against Roma what with that absolute bull poop penalty given against Milner in the first leg, and scoring an own goal with his face in the second leg.

And don't forget the penalty near the end of the second leg which should never had been given. Or if it should have been, then Liverpool should also have had one due to an absolutely identical situation.

It's all sour grapes anyway. The best team won over two legs against Man City, the best team won over two legs against Roma.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
And don't forget the penalty near the end of the second leg which should never had been given. Or if it should have been, then Liverpool should also have had one due to an absolutely identical situation.

It's all sour grapes anyway. The best team won over two legs against Man City, the best team won over two legs against Roma.

Exactly. Liverpool have been excellent in the CL this season.

I genuinely think the final is 50/50. Impossible to call.

Established Member

There's the penalty kick which Roma were awarded in the first leg too, which almost certainly wasn't a penalty.

fowler9

Established Member
Spoken by a true believer in the "alternative rule book" that many football supporters really believe is far superior in its definition of the laws of the game than the "official one" that referees have to be fully conversant with.

Being somewhat churlish today, I have emboldened the last word of your quote above and wonder what you would have done with the penalty, as you did not finish the sentence.
Ha ha. At the end of the day being awarded a penalty is not a guarantee of a goal or Liverpool would still be playing the 2005 final to this day.

familyguy99

Northampton 2-2 Oldham
Rochdale 1-0 Charlton
<(

Oldham are relegated to League Two and end 21 year stay in third tier of English football after Rochdale beat Charlton and Oldham couldn't find late winner goal at Sixfield. Aleast Oldham will be playing Bury, Macclesfield, Crewe, Morecambe and maybe Tranmere next season. :'(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Never have I celebrated an Everton goal like I did that late equaliser! Serves Southampton right for their assault on Jonas Lössl at our spot...

If we can beat City tomorrow (!) we'll be safe! ;)<:D

Kite159

Veteran Member
West Brom win against Spuds to keep their faint hopes of survival alive, Southampton would have put them down had Everton not had a 9Xth minute goal in Fergie Time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very sad to hear Sir Alex Ferguson isn't too well. Hope he pulls through.
Absolutely. I hope that he gets through this, if anyone deserves a restful retirement then it’s him.

Re the Real Madrid/Liverpool final - Head says Real, heart says Liverpool... Who knows though?
I’ll be using every positive superstitious mumbo jumbo available to me that day from the moment I wake up.
If the Liverpool that are capable of completely demolishing the opposition turns up then there’s definitely a chance.
What I don’t fancy is extra time and penalties.
Has Karius ever saved a penalty does anyone know..?

Antman

Established Member
Talking of Fergie Time, Alex Ferguson has apparently had surgery after a brain haemorrhage today.

I was really shocked to hear this, at a time like this football rivalries are irrelevant and I'm sure we all wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northampton 2-2 Oldham
Oldham are relegated to League Two and end 21 year stay in third tier of English football after Rochdale beat Charlton and Oldham couldn't find late winner goal at Sixfield. Aleast Oldham will be playing Bury, Macclesfield, Crewe, Morecambe and maybe Tranmere next season. :'(

Howsoever, you will not have the pleasure of playing against Accrington Stanley next season....:'(

fowler9

Established Member
Absolutely. I hope that he gets through this, if anyone deserves a restful retirement then it’s him.

Re the Real Madrid/Liverpool final - Head says Real, heart says Liverpool... Who knows though?
I’ll be using every positive superstitious mumbo jumbo available to me that day from the moment I wake up.
If the Liverpool that are capable of completely demolishing the opposition turns up then there’s definitely a chance.
What I don’t fancy is extra time and penalties.
We can beat Real and have done before with arguably weaker teams. We are getting a bit short when it comes to what is available on the bench though. Plus we could really do with something against Chelsea today to guarantee fourth after our last two poor league games. We just have to go flat out and hope we get no injuries.

fowler9

Established Member
I was really shocked to hear this, at a time like this football rivalries are irrelevant and I'm sure we all wish him a full and speedy recovery.
Absolutely mate. Hope he pulls through, as a Liverpool fan I couldn't stand him, he was too good at his job, ha ha. As a human being he was an incredible football manager who I have complete respect for. Loved that engraved vase he presented to Wenger at Old Trafford. I think that shows the measure of the man. When all rivalries are put aside he showed respect and perhaps even love. I hope he gets a lot more Fergie time.

Established Member

He has, he saved the first penalty kick against Spurs at Anfield.

Absolutely mate. Hope he pulls through, as a Liverpool fan I couldn't stand him, he was too good at his job, ha ha. As a human being he was an incredible football manager who I have complete respect for. Loved that engraved vase he presented to Wenger at Old Trafford. I think that shows the measure of the man. When all rivalries are put aside he showed respect and perhaps even love. I hope he gets a lot more Fergie time.

Hear hear.

SS4

Established Member
Thanks for nothing Fulham

Also it's interesting to see the PL bias in the media - it's the final day of the championship and the right hand side of the BBC football page has the 3, largely inconsequential, PL games in the scores/fixtures list

Established Member
Sheffield Wednesday end the season with a 5-1 win over Norwich City, with Atdhe Nuhiu scoring a hat-trick.

It's not been a great season for The Owls, although our recent form has been encouraging. I hope we can build on it for next season.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Manchester City 0 - 0 Huddersfield Town

What a defensive performance that was! It may have been backs-to-the-wall but we're now within touching distance of safety. Tuesday night is massive now, as is Wednesday...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What a strange weekend this has been for the top four teams in the Premiership.

Manchester City, noted for "scoring goals for fun", only record a 0-0 home draw and Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur all losing.

West Bromwich Albion still recording some amazing end-of-the-season results against teams far higher in the division.

Established Member
Not a great performance from Liverpool, although as long as we beat Brighton next week we'll still qualify for next season's Champions League.

Established Member
I think we only need a draw?

If Chelsea win both of their games and we draw against Brighton, we'll have 73 points to Chelsea's 75. However if Chelsea do win both of their games and we win our last game, both teams will have 75 points, but our goal difference is much superior to theirs.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Bamber Bridge secured promotion to the Northern Premier League (7th tier) yesterday, unfortunately Chorley lost to a 93rd minute goal away at Harrogate to remain in the 6th tier.