• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

The_Train

Established Member
That 3rd England goal was superb. Patient build up play, neat passing, good movement off the ball and a great finish

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
It's been a long time since we've been able to put England and ruthless in the same sentence

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not a bad result against a bunch of cheats and a Tunisian referee.

Since you made this posting, I have been looking at the FIFA World Cup 2018 list of appointed referees and assistant referees. From the CAF group, Tunisia have no appointed referee, but do have Anour Hmila as an appointed assistant referee. Was it him that you referred to in your posting above?

Darandio

Established Member
Since you made this posting, I have been looking at the FIFA World Cup 2018 list of appointed referees and assistant referees. From the CAF group, Tunisia have no appointed referee, but do have Anour Hmila as an appointed assistant referee. Was it him that you referred to in your posting above?

Of course it wasn't, and you know exactly what I meant.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Of course it wasn't, and you know exactly what I meant.

All I had to go on from what you said was that it was said to be a Tunisian referee, a term normally used when describing the country of a person. If you recall the World Cup Final in 1966, everyone seemed to refer to Tofiq Bahramov as being a Russian linesman as the match official involved in the eventual award of a goal to England at a critical stage in the game, after the match referee went over to consult him. There were queries made in the media long after that incident as to whether or not the linesman was actually Russian and the truth of the matter was that he was from Azerbaijan.

Cletus

Established Member
Still not sure which foul the referee gave the 2nd penalty for, as I’m sure there were 3 fouls all at the same time.

The_Train

Established Member
Irrelevant of Panama's ability we despatched them with utter ease, something recent England sides have been unable to do against 'lesser' opposition. This would suggest that even though we are not of World Cup winning standard, we are at least finally moving in the right direction.

The game against Belgium will tell us just how far we have come.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
All I had to go on from what you said was that it was said to be a Tunisian referee, a term normally used when describing the country of a person. If you recall the World Cup Final in 1966, everyone seemed to refer to Tofiq Bahramov as being a Russian linesman as the match official involved in the eventual award of a goal to England at a critical stage in the game, after the match referee went over to consult him. There were queries made in the media long after that incident as to whether or not the linesman was actually Russian and the truth of the matter was that he was from Azerbaijan.

give it rest man. We all knew what was meant by the statement!

So were Iceland.

Iceland aren't a pub side. That is a really poor read of their status. The topped a qualification group including Croatia ( who have earnt rave reviews this tournament) Ukraine and Turkey. Thye are a solid, well drilled, tactically rigid, hard working side with one decent player. They play to their strengths rather than trying to emulate Spain. It might not be pretty but it often works.

Iceland at least had some players of Premier League calibre. Panama are one of the worst sides I’ve ever seen at the World Cup.

Indeed - but USA and Trinidad finished a long way behind them in qualification - so they must have done something right

The game against Belgium will tell us just how far we have come.

Agreed - but i don't have any expectations. Lets just enjoy it.

richw

Veteran Member
Southgate appears to have a good relationship with his team, you can see how food the relationship between him and his players are.
It says a lot how he was willing to ditch the old guard for the younger players he’s worked with for many years in the youth set up. We don’t have any players with celebrity status, Beckham, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc who went as individuals. There is a clear strong team bond which has been missing for many years. Probably because this team have grown up together with this manager.
We’ve struggled against minnows in recent tournaments so to be so ruthless is good to see.
I don’t think there is the experience to go far this tournament, but if this team and manager keep together I think there is potential in the future.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
give it rest man. We all knew what was meant by the statement!

I question your use of the word "all" as stated above. My understanding of the word Tunisian that was used in the posting was based upon a dictionary definition of that very word. Some people do use a word in inverted commas to signify something different in meaning, but that was not the case in the posting to which I made a response. Perhaps, as well as being a hypothetical football supporters' version of the Laws of the game of Football, there is also a hypothetical football supporters' dictionary.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I question your use of the word "all" as stated above. My understanding of the word Tunisian that was used in the posting was based upon a dictionary definition of that very word. Some people do use a word in inverted commas to signify something different in meaning, but that was not the case in the posting to which I made a response. Perhaps, as well as being a hypothetical football supporters' version of the Laws of the game of Football, there is also a hypothetical football supporters' dictionary.

You are being silly now. EVERYONE (you included) knew what was meant. You just enjoy being a superior pendant.