• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I wish the BBC would encourage Alan Hansen to come out of retirement... even with his Liverpool connections he wouldn't display the blatant bias that Danny Murphy did last night. I can't be bothered to trawl through the archives, but I'd put a pint on him having contradicted himself on the penalty shout at some point in the past. The offside was also a bit dodgy, as Pritchards feet were pretty much level and nobody seemed to know for sure whether the last contact on the header forward was from the Liverpool or Town player.

VAR would quickly either confirm or deny the claims of bias (implicit or deliberate) towards the bigger teams. So why don't we have it? It can't be a money issue as the Bundesliga has it and isn't as rich.

“Pretty much” level isn’t level. He was offside; if a part of his body he can play the ball with is in an offside position then he is offside.

The penalty was not in any way a deliberate handball and therefore not a penalty. There are almost no deliberate handballs over the course of a season and there are far, far too many given. The player has to intend to handle the ball.

Two correct calls.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

muddythefish

On Moderation
I wish the BBC would encourage Alan Hansen to come out of retirement... even with his Liverpool connections he wouldn't display the blatant bias that Danny Murphy did last night..

I noticed that too. Had a contretemps with Lineker too. Horrible little man. Stole money from my beloved Blackburn Rovers too when he idled around to no effect the season before he retired.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
“Pretty much” level isn’t level. He was offside; if a part of his body he can play the ball with is in an offside position then he is offside.

The penalty was not in any way a deliberate handball and therefore not a penalty. There are almost no deliberate handballs over the course of a season and there are far, far too many given. The player has to intend to handle the ball.

Two correct calls.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. The only part of his body which was clearly offside was his arm, which he can't play the ball with (unless he's James Milner apparently). His feet were level.
Even so, he was only offside if the ball came off the Town player. I've watched it over and over and can't come to a firm conclusion. One would hope that if VAR was available, the video referees would have multiple angles at a higher resolution.
On the other issue, if a footballer earning six figures a week can't control a ball and avoid playing it against his own hand, he isn't really justifying that pay cheque.

In reality I'm just bitter. Whether the calls were correct or not is immaterial anyway now. It's frustrating when we've matched the Champions League runners up for large parts of the game and got nothing to show for it. I do hope Herr Wagner will be keeping them all back late into the evenings to practice shooting, heading and general decision-making... because that aside, we're not far off.

At least if we go down we won't be getting patronised every week on MOTD... silver linings eh? ;)

Drogba11CFC

Torquay United 4...Winchester City 1 (Lumbombo-Kalala 37, Janneh 41, Lemonleigh-Evans 45+2, 55; Hayward pen 72, Hayward s/o 78)

Winchester City's best FA Cup run since 1954 came to an end on the Riviera. The visitors had an effort cleared off the line but three goals in the last ten minutes of the first half put the hosts firmly in the driving seat. The hosts got a fourth early in the second half before right back Joe Hayward pulled a goal back from the spot with twenty minutes left.

Still, a superb cup run despite the result, and around £45,000 earned from prize money and our half of the gate receipts!

Pakenhamtrain

https://twitter.com/ALeague/status/1053605382214475776
The VAR circus rolls on in the A-League with it declaring this to be a penalty despite the contact not being sufficient enough to bruise a grape. It was fairly clear he dived.
Bozza blew a valve over it:
https://twitter.com/TheRealBozza/status/1053621593442676736

R1 results:
Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC
Melbourne Victory 1-2 Melbourne City
Wellington Phoenix 2-1 Newcastle Jets
Brisbane Roar 1-1 Central Coast Mariners
Perth Glory 1-1 Western Sydney Wanders

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo 1 v Boston 0. Darlo win two matches in a row. A awful game that saw the vistors score an own goal and finish with 9 men. In other news Darlo have sold our Gibraltar international Reece Styche to Alfreton for an undisclosed fee. A big blow.

Danny Murphy

I think there is a secret sadness within Danny Murphy. He always seems so down. I think he secretly wanted to be a ballerina but was trapped in football and now doesn't know how to get out of the vicious circle he finds himself in.

I wish he would smile one or twice!

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
FA Cup draw
Bury v Dover Athletic
Not much glamour of the cup there!
I noticed a large number of ties which will involve teams and fans having to travel long distances to the matches, makes me wonder if the draw was sponsored by National Express! If Taunton overcome Billericay in their replay, a trip to Chesterfield awaits. At least that tie (among a few others) guarantees a non-league side will make it to the next round.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I noticed a large number of ties which will involve teams and fans having to travel long distances to the matches, makes me wonder if the draw was sponsored by National Express! If Taunton overcome Billericay in their replay, a trip to Chesterfield awaits. At least that tie (among a few others) guarantees a non-league side will make it to the next round.

Standard journeys for lower league teams. You might have forgotten about those with your fancy premier league ways ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Standard journeys for lower league teams. You might have forgotten about those with your fancy premier league ways ;)
But I have to leave the county for every away game, though that's down to our neighbours not being able to keep up with us because they're too massive... ;)

I was just looking through the draw to see which games would involve a direct journey for away fans. There aren't many, but one will be the aforementioned Chesterfield game, if The Peacocks can overcome the Essex boys.

LuSiVe

Winces every time we're mentioned as non-league :(
I'd have preferred us to be away. We only get humiliated this way.....

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Winces every time we're mentioned as non-league :(
I'd have preferred us to be away. We only get humiliated this way.....
Periods of success and decline in football are cyclical (for most teams). I remember you being robbed of a place in the final of the FA Cup, and even now when I look at the fixture list I expect to see Chesterfield rather than Chelsea. In many ways it was more exciting being in the 3rd tier (where we were when I started watching and have been for most of my time) and being competitive, at least occasionally. If we ever end up in your situation, I'll still go to the games. I'm enjoying being among the elite despite my moans, but I know it'll be over and things will go back to normal fairly soon. Hopefully not for another year or so!

Howardh

Established Member
FA Cup draw
Bury v Dover Athletic
Not much glamour of the cup there!
Speak for yourself!! **Up The Mighty Shakers** We're already dreaming of the replay where we can all pop over to Calais and stock up while we can!!

Howardh

Established Member
The "glamour of the FA Cup" really only applies when a small club has the opportunity of being drawn against one of the major teams who do not enter the draw until the 3rd round proper of that competition.
The "glamour" of the FA Cup was getting to Wembley, and being part of the only domestic game shown live on TV.

Wembley is now just a big ground like all the other big grounds and not as good - you can play there in the playoffs, semi's and even some lower-league cup trophy - and you can watch domestic football (and non league) so many times a week it's uncountable.

LuSiVe

Periods of success and decline in football are cyclical (for most teams). I remember you being robbed of a place in the final of the FA Cup, and even now when I look at the fixture list I expect to see Chesterfield rather than Chelsea. In many ways it was more exciting being in the 3rd tier (where we were when I started watching and have been for most of my time) and being competitive, at least occasionally. If we ever end up in your situation, I'll still go to the games. I'm enjoying being among the elite despite my moans, but I know it'll be over and things will go back to normal fairly soon. Hopefully not for another year or so!

This isn't just cyclical, we always expect to shuttle between the bottom two leagues. This is pretty much total mismanagement from top to bottom.

This isn't entirely accurate but if you've got the time have a read:
https://jogamagazine.wordpress.com/...he-most-miserable-team-to-support-in-england/

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

familyguy99

Oldham 2-0 Cheltenham

Oldham ended five match winless run with little help from Cheltenham player who got sent off just before half time when scoreline was 0-0.

In FA Cup Oldham got away trip to National League South side Hampton & Richmond who already pull off minor shock by beating Eastleigh in Qualifying. Could be tough game for Oldham and outside chance of been on TV which will help both clubs intern of money.

Established Member
Liverpool 4-0 Red Star Belgrade.

A very good performance from us tonight, with goals from Salah (2), Firmino and Mané. The latter missed a penalty prior to scoring.

Liverpool are now top of their group, thanks to a late equaliser from PSG in their game against Napoli.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Liverpool 4-0 Red Star Belgrade.

A very good performance from us tonight, with goals from Salah (2), Firmino and Mané. The latter missed a penalty prior to scoring.

Liverpool are now top of their group, thanks to a late equaliser from PSG in their game against Napoli.
I did notice that the BBC was displaying Red Star (of) Belgrade in their native tongue (Red Star's, not the BBC's obviously), which not only ruins the lyrics to 'Sexuality' by Billy Bragg but also makes me wonder why Internazionale and Sporting Club de Portugal don't get the same courtesy.

Cletus

Established Member
That was a bit before my time :lol:

There were other, better, nearer teams in the draw we could have got.

Hopefully I will make the game depending on train fares (currently about £70 excluding trams) and others in my group who normally travel.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Last season Macclesfield were surprise winners of the National League and most people expected the Silkmen to at least hold their own in D4.

But with Macc holding up the other 91 and threatening a quick return to non-league ranks, I ventured out to a damp and gloomy Moss Rose on Tuesday night in case I missed their solitary season back. The floodlights aren't very good.

I couldn't believe what I was watching. Macc were tactically clueless. The midfield tried fast passing triangles which just went round in circles till they gave the ball away and the diminutive forwards just hurtled forward till they ran into defenders.

But worst of all was the defence. The full backs couldn't tackle and they even couldn't do the basics like using two men to defend short corners. By half time Northampton were 4-0 up and shortly afterwards declared by taking off Crooks who had scored an easy hat trick. They added a fifth in the last seconds.

It was just like watching Bradford in the late 1960's. How can a team go from champions to clueless in 6 short months? It will take a miracle worker to save this lot from the drop.

A couple of weeks ago, Macclesfield equalled Derby's record sequence of 36 FL games without a win (2008) but failed to take the record outright by somehow beating Carlisle on Saturday. But 23 of those games were six years ago when they were relegated from D4.

In the unlikely event of Bradford ever getting back to D4, we will restart with a unbroken sequence of 56 away games in the FL without a win. Our last away success was against our dear neighbours Bradfiord City at Manningham in February 1968. I don't know whether 56 n.o. is a record or not. For my sins, I saw 55 of those games only missing a midweek visit to Exeter while still at school.

Last edited:

THC

The "glamour of the FA Cup" really only applies when a small club has the opportunity of being drawn against one of the major teams who do not enter the draw until the 3rd round proper of that competition.

Haringey Borough v Tottenham Hotspur is but 180 minutes of football away.

THC

The_Train

Established Member
Last season Macclesfield were surprise winners of the National League and most people expected the Silkmen to at least hold their own in D4.

But with Macc holding up the other 91 and threatening a quick return to non-league ranks, I ventured out to a damp and gloomy Moss Rose on Tuesday night in case I missed their solitary season back. The floodlights aren't very good.

I couldn't believe what I was watching. Macc were tactically clueless. The midfield tried fast passing triangles which just went round in circles till they gave the ball away and the diminutive forwards just hurtled forward till they ran into defenders.

But worst of all was the defence. The full backs couldn't tackle and they even couldn't do the basics like using two men to defend short corners. By half time Northampton were 4-0 up and shortly afterwards declared by taking off Crooks who had scored an easy hat trick. They added a fifth in the last seconds.

It was just like watching Bradford in the late 1960's. How can a team go from champions to clueless in 6 short months? It will take a miracle worker to save this lot from the drop.

A couple of weeks ago, Macclesfield equalled Derby's record sequence of 36 FL games without a win (2008) but failed to take the record outright by somehow beating Carlisle on Saturday. But 23 of those games were six years ago when they were relegated from D4.

In the unlikely event of Bradford ever getting back to D4, we will restart with a unbroken sequence of 59 away games in the FL without a win. Our last away success was against our dear neighbours Bradfiord City at Manningham in February 1968. I don't know whether 59 n.o. is a record or not.

It is a strange one. Even with little or no investment teams promoted the season before usually make a good start purely by 'riding the wave' of their previous promotion. I don't see the bottom half of L2 being all that different to the top of the National League either so it makes it all the more perplexing as to why Macclesfield have made such a terrible start

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Haringey Borough v Tottenham Hotspur is but 180 minutes of football away.

THC

This all depends on how Oldham Athletic decide to use tactics based upon a close study of recent Haringey Borough strengths and weaknesses. Last season, Hyde United were drawn at home against MK Dons in a televised FA Cup first round proper match, after Hyde were near to the top of their league, but matters were tacticily poor for Hyde, who were well and truly put in their place with a 0-4 defeat.

familyguy99

This all depends on how Oldham Athletic decide to use tactics based upon a close study of recent Haringey Borough strengths and weaknesses. Last season, Hyde United were drawn at home against MK Dons in a televised FA Cup first round proper match, after Hyde were near to the top of their league, but matters were tacticily poor for Hyde, who were well and truly put in their place with a 0-4 defeat.

Oldham are not playing Haringey Borough in FA Cup, AFC Wimbledon are. Oldham are playing Hampton & Redbridge which I see that if you got BT Sports you can watch it live on Monday 12th November.

Northampton 2-1 Oldham

Not great result this for Oldham and make it worse that Northampton were playing with 10 men for good 50 mins of match as there player Foley got sent off for late tackle on Oldham player Missilou.

In last 24 hours at Oldham they have sacked Assistant manager Andy Rhodes moments before coach leave for Northampton game (not 100% why) and rumours going about that Latics owner are set to sacked Frankie Bunn aswell. I don't think that be right choice given he doing good job at Oldham on low budget but we see if that happens.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But then so did Bournemouth... and look at them! At least we did it without Russian money or breaking FFP! ;)
Now now, you are starting to sound more like some Watford or Brighton fans. ;)

When's the "all those red cards/penalties" remark coming in? We got another oppo sending off today so the conspiracy theory lives on.

Established Member
Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City.

Another win today, so I was happy I could go and watch it. Mo Salah, Sadio Mané (2) and Xherdan Shaqiri's first goal for Liverpool gave us the victory to take us to the top of the table (for now).

At 2-1, the game opened up as Cardiff City searched for an equaliser, but Liverpool scored twice in the space of a few minutes to secure the three points. It's great to see the front three starting to find their rhythm again, and I think Shaqiri has to be one of Klopp's best transfers so far.