• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do Darlington still play in that bloody great big stadium @DarloRich?

Nope. That was repossessed when the last dodgy owner failed to pay the mortgage and tried to kill us. It is now owned by Darlington Mowden Park Rugby club and we now play at blackwell meadows which is the home of Darlington rugby club. In the interim we played at bishop Auckland

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Nope. That was repossessed when the last dodgy owner failed to pay the mortgage and relies to kill us. Ot is now owned by Darlington Mowden Park Rugby club and we now play ar blackwell meadows which is the home of Darlington rugby club. In the interim we played at bishop Auckland

Ah right, it's certainly been a colourful period in Darlington's history. I seem to remember a time when a certain Faustino Asprilla was very close to signing for you before he did a runner

familyguy99

Oldham 2-0 Notts County

Second win in three days for Oldham who are now only four points off play offs places. I seem like Latics will have new manager in by time they played Fulham in FA Cup Third Round tie on Sunday but remain to be seen if our caretaker manager Pete Wild will be in dugout for this match or in stand with away fans at Craven Cottage as he already brought himself a ticket just in case he isn't managing team on Sunday.

Big game in Tameside today as both of Ashton-Under-Lyne club meet again and just like last Wednesday it was away team who came out on top.

Ashton United 1-2 Curzon Ashton

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah right, it's certainly been a colourful period in Darlington's history. I seem to remember a time when a certain Faustino Asprilla was very close to signing for you before he did a runner

The lingering suspicion is that it was all a publicity stunt and there was no chance of a signing. That was in the george Reynolds period of ownership.

Bedpan

Established Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member

fowler9

Established Member
Liverpool loose their unbeaten record. I don't think we played terribly well, way to sloppy, maybe Man City made us play like that so fair enough. Nothing seemed to fall our way, plenty has during the season so far though. Ah well.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Liverpool loose their unbeaten record. I don't think we played terribly well, way to sloppy, maybe Man City made us play like that so fair enough. Nothing seemed to fall our way, plenty has during the season so far though. Ah well.
Well said.
City (and their fans) unleashed the Dogs of War tonight. There can be no complaints, they deserved it with the effort they put in.
This game was a long time coming and City played it pretty much perfectly.
The next couple of games in the Premier League will be key for Liverpool.
I believe that the further City go in the Champions League then the more they’ll have to take their eye off the PL.
It’s extremely difficult (no matter how good the team is) to win both these days.
The rest of the season is going to be exciting though, that’s for sure...

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Well said.
City (and their fans) unleashed the Dogs of War tonight. There can be no complaints, they deserved it with the effort they put in.
This game was a long time coming and City played it pretty much perfectly.
The next couple of games in the Premier League will be key for Liverpool.
I believe that the further City go in the Champions League then the more they’ll have to take their eye off the PL.
It’s extremely difficult (no matter how good the team is) to win both these days.
The rest of the season is going to be exciting though, that’s for sure...

I was there last night and it was a great atmosphere and a very tense affair.

It's a shame the atmosphere can't be like that more often.

The_Train

Established Member
Last night's result was perfect for the neutral as let's face it we all love a tight title run in. I still think Liverpool will do it as I suspect Pep will go all guns blazing to try and win the Champions League and ultimately that will affect their league form

Walshy23

I personally can’t stand Man City and think they have just bought titles. However, they are always great to watch. When they need a win, they go out and give 1000% to the final whistle. It’s really good to watch. It’s a shame not all teams follow their lead. I remember in the UCL against Bayern Munich they were losing 2-1 in the 80th min or so if I remember rightly and they were going for it. I stuck £50 on them to win at 9/1. Step up aguero for the 90th min winner. :)

The_Train

Established Member
I personally can’t stand Man City and think they have just bought titles.

They are hardly alone in this. Liverpool or Man City will win the league this season and that's because they've invested into their playing squads. Spurs will fall short yet again because they haven't even though they are probably only a couple of signings away from having a title challenging squad

Walshy23

Oh yh, I have same feelings towards Chelsea and PSG. I just think it’s ridiculous they money spent. Could always just wait for sugar daddy to buy Bristol City and then I’m sure my view would change lol. But yh I wouldn’t mine seeing Liverpool win it, even if just to annoy the Man U faithful :) spurs have got a lot stronger year on year, if they lose poch to united that could potentially undo everything.

The_Train

Established Member
Oh yh, I have same feelings towards Chelsea and PSG. I just think it’s ridiculous they money spent. Could always just wait for sugar daddy to buy Bristol City and then I’m sure my view would change lol. But yh I wouldn’t mine seeing Liverpool win it, even if just to annoy the Man U faithful :) spurs have got a lot stronger year on year, if they lose poch to united that could potentially undo everything.

Aren't Bristol City (and every other sports club in Bristol except Rovers) owned by a local moneybags? Might not be an oil tycoon but I doubt you're hard up for funds, especially considering the recent renovation of Ashton Gate.

I imagine this year's title run in will be very painful for Man Utd fans with both of their biggest rivals vying for the title. As for Spurs, have they really improved year on year? They seem to have stagnated recently and seem content with just achieving a top 4 finish every season. Levy has put everything into the new stadium (which has become a farce) and has stopped investing in the playing side of things. They seem to just plod on with the same starting 11 that they had 2 seasons ago and I really think this lack of investment could see Poch walk away, particularly if Man Utd come calling. That said, if Solskjaer keeps winning matches, Man Utd probably won't come calling

Walshy23

Ooops Yh I forgot about that. I think lansdown it worth £3bn or something like that. He just never spends it. I understand what he’s doing making the club sustainable, but still, a little investment wouldn’t hurt.

I suppose that contradicts everything I just said tho

I’ll enjoy watching the united fans, I always remember thinking they had a right to win everything. (I have plenty of friends that were the sort that only sang when they won, they’ve been a bit quieter recently tho) but I personally think the spurs starting 11 have done well, considering no new additions. (I follow arsenal in the premier league so it takes a lot to say that lol) your right tho, the stadium is an ongoing joke and they’re only a few signings from doing something special. I think Son is world class player and could defo make a move to a bigger team!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A decade ago yesterday Darlington came from behind to beat Bournemouth 2-1 in front of 2571 at the Darlington Arena in league 2. The cherries led at the interval but Pawel Abbott on 83 and then Rob Purdie from the spot in stoppage time secured 3 points for the Quakers.

A decade is a long time. Darlo were pushing for the play offs and looked in good form. 10 years later we are in national north after a traumatic rebirth and Bournemouth are in the Premier league!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder how much Fort William still "have in the tank" as they came off 7-0 down at half-time in their away match today against Formartine United.

No such hope.......Full time score:-

Formartine United 14 ... Fort William 1

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Basford United 3 ... Hyde United 8

This looked a hard match for Hyde as Basford had won 10 of their 11 home games this season, but Hyde decided that attack was the best policy and at half-time, they led 5-0. Both sides then scored three goals in the second half and this victory was the best that Hyde has had, since being promoted to the higher league level at the end of last season.

Walshy23

Bristol City 1 - 0 Huddersfield

Great result for The Robins. Quite the habit of beating premier league opponents in recent times!

The_Train

Established Member

Great result for The Robins. Quite the habit of beating premier league opponents in recent times!

Should probably try to transfer that into beating Championship sides ;):E

The FA Cup hasn't thrown up too much excitement to be fair, although Gillingham beating Cardiff is one for the purists. Good to see Stoke continuing their good form with a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury as well :lol:

Walshy23

Should probably try to transfer that into beating Championship sides ;):E

The FA Cup hasn't thrown up too much excitement to be fair, although Gillingham beating Cardiff is one for the purists. Good to see Stoke continuing their good form with a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury as well :lol:

I know! Was there when they beat Man U 2-1 ...... then was also there when they drew 3-3 against a very poor Sunderland after being
3-0 at HT, then a loss to bottom Bolton. No consistantcy. Yh I thought the same when I saw all the scores. Nothing exciting.

This was last season, but still the same this season

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but we're a top flight side in name alone. You guys didn't even have to play that well to beat us!
We're devoid of any confidence after such a poor run of results which is particularly frustrating as for the most part the performances have been good, if toothless in front of goal. Fans are starting to turn on Wagner and I do wonder if he's taken us as far as he can, but I'm not convinced a change would make a difference. Certainly don't want any of the "usual suspects" (Allardyce, Pardew et al) in, and I can't imagine Big Sam would want to risk his "never been relegated" record- because let's face it, we're done.

I just hope we can put up a bit of a fight, and at the very least gain the two points needed to beat Derby's record-low!

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
They are hardly alone in this. Liverpool or Man City will win the league this season and that's because they've invested into their playing squads. Spurs will fall short yet again because they haven't even though they are probably only a couple of signings away from having a title challenging squad
Yeah Liverpool spent a fortune but we spent what we earned. We never threw a lottery win from an owner at the squad.

familyguy99

Shock of round have just happened at Craven Cottage.

Fulham 1-2 Oldham :o :E

Very very happy to found out that Oldham have knock out Premiership club Fulham to make it into Round 4. Oldham got lucky as Fulham was award penalty with scoreline 1-1 but our goalkeeper keep it out then two mins from time Lang scored winner goal to send Latics through.

Other shock happened in Sheffield were Non league team Barnet have beating Sheff Utd by 1-0 at Bramall Lane.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Stockport County vs Bradford in National League North attracted a much bigger crowd than the two FA Cup third round ties at Fleetwood and Accrington. Just a pity about the result but Stockport deserved it.