• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The tightest seats I have ever sat in are at

1st Altrincham main stand (so tight I was physically unable to sit)
2nd QPR (almost as bad)
3rd Old Trafford (you're glad of the relief when everybody around you stands so you can as well)

Bradford's ground at Horsfall is little better but our attendances are so poor that you can bank on having a free seat either side.

There were serious complaints about legroom when Bescot stadium first opened, so I've never sat in the older stands. But the newer stand behind the goal is OK.

Good grounds for legroom in the north west include Bolton, Manchester City and Wigan.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town manager, David Wagner has left the club by mutual consent.
Not sure if I'm surprised at this decision or not, but it sounds like the "mutual consent" thing is genuine in this case. David Wagner will always be a Huddersfield legend though. Mark Hudson will be in charge for our easily winnable game at the weekend. Expecting us to be linked with all the usual suspects including Big Sam, but can't see him coming here and risking his record. Even though he's an ex-player I wouldn't want a crook like him in charge.

The_Train

Established Member
Very surprised to hear the news about Wagner earlier. Sounds like he'd already told the owner that he was leaving in the summer but has brought this forward as he needs a break.

Not sure if I'm surprised at this decision or not, but it sounds like the "mutual consent" thing is genuine in this case. David Wagner will always be a Huddersfield legend though. Mark Hudson will be in charge for our easily winnable game at the weekend. Expecting us to be linked with all the usual suspects including Big Sam, but can't see him coming here and risking his record. Even though he's an ex-player I wouldn't want a crook like him in charge.

Alan Curbishley will of course be on any bookmakers list :E In all seriousness I hope your owner looks a bit more left field (as he did with Wagner) instead of just plumping for someone like Allardyce or Moyes. Jokanovic (spell check me please) will almost certainly be linked and might not be a bad shout for someone to bring you straight back up (should you get relegated of course)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Curbishley is always on the bookies lists despite having not managed for something like 10 years, and I think if he did come back to management it'd be quite a culture-shock. Of the "usual suspects" the one I'd be least disappointed with would be David Moyes, simply because I always admired his work at Preston in the second tier (and let's face it, that's almost certainly where we'll be next season).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town manager, David Wagner has left the club by mutual consent.

Dial A for Allerdyce

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If Allardyce comes in, I'll be leaving my seat unoccupied for the rest of the season. I don't think he would though, too much of a gamble for his CV.

Not another football stylist! Most football is crap and few can play like Barcelona! I would take pragmatic survival over fancy dan relegation any day

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not another football stylist! Most football is crap and few can play like Barcelona! I would take pragmatic survival over fancy dan relegation any day
If we were 9 points adrift in the 4th division I'd agree with you, but at this level I'd rather not sell out to the Big Sam B*** S***.

My objection is less with the style of football (prior to Wagner, the most entertained I've been watching Town was under Neil Warnock), more with the dodgy dealings that Allardyce is so famous for.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If we were 9 points adrift in the 4th division I'd agree with you, but at this level I'd rather not sell out to the Big Sam B*** S***.

My objection is less with the style of football (prior to Wagner, the most entertained I've been watching Town was under Neil Warnock), more with the dodgy dealings that Allardyce is so famous for.

I was only teasing! I think Huddersfield should look at who they want for the next few years and not rush into appointing. I think they are going down so need to look at the future. I would have suggested the Luton manager but her has gone to Stoke.

PS don't talk to me about Colin and his bloody armed robbing midfielder. Robbed us at Wembley!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was only teasing! I think Huddersfield should look at who they want for the next few years and not rush into appointing. I think they are going down so need to look at the future. I would have suggested the Luton manager but her has gone to Stoke.

PS don't talk to me about Colin and his bloody armed robbing midfielder. Robbed us at Wembley!
Mark Hudson will be in charge for the small matter of Citeh at home on Sunday, unless Dean Hoyle has already been working on something in preparation for Wagner leaving.

I predict we may get someone in to "steady the ship" on a deal til the end of the season, though the target will still be survival as long as that's possible. If they're an "old-hand" such as Allardyce, then behind the scenes Hoyle will be looking for someone else long-term. If they're a relative unknown as Wagner was, then Hoyle will essentially be giving them a three-month job interview.

As for Warnock, he's a manager who's great when he's yours but a nightmare when he's the opposition's. His name being that anagram is like a drunken version of nominative determinism!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Look what happened to Blackburn when they sacked Big Sam.

Such is the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" in the Premier League these days that it is usually possible to stay up with a relatively low number of points. Teams have stayed up with less than one point per game. In that sense, the Premier League is one of the easier leagues to avoid relegation from, so there is hope yet for Huddersfield.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Hyde United 1 ... Witton Albion 0

This match was, as expected, a test of resolve on a cold winters day for both these two mid-table sides and Hyde missed a penalty just after half-time, but scored the winner in the 77th minute and move up to seventh place in the league.

gnolife

Established Member

2nd QPR (almost as bad)
3rd Old Trafford (you're glad of the relief when everybody around you stands so you can as well)

Bradford's ground at Horsfall is little better but our attendances are so poor that you can bank on having a free seat either side.

There were serious complaints about legroom when Bescot stadium first opened, so I've never sat in the older stands. But the newer stand behind the goal is OK.

Good grounds for legroom in the north west include Bolton, Manchester City and Wigan.

The same comments that apply to the Horsfall apply just as well for Moss Lane, I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I can always sit comfortably enough by dangling my legs over the row in front, safe in the knowledge that for all bar the biggest attended games, I won't be depriving anyone else of a seat.

Since moving to Scotland, I've become a season ticket holder at Partick Thistle, and the stand that my ticket is for makes the main stand at Moss Lane seem positively generous. I also do some ground-hopping around the local non-leagues, and finding a ground with seating is pretty uncommon.

2nd QPR (almost as bad)

Having stewarded at Old Trafford about 9 times, I certainly agree it's up there as one of the tighter stadiums; compare that to the Etihad where I was last Monday for Wolves 3-0 defeat and the legroom being pretty decent. Must shoutout to Fulham and Craven Cottage - was down at the 1-1 Boxing Day clash and everyone had acres of space to move!

On Wanderers, its safe to say that I won't forget yesterday for the rest of my days and I put it as my most justified trip to Molineux, whilst I've been a student in Sheffield since 2016! An unbelievable fixture and by far the best I've seen in my 80 games that I've seen the lads!

Our next six look pretty too...

Jimini

Established Member
Mark Hudson will be in charge for the small matter of Citeh at home on Sunday, unless Dean Hoyle has already been working on something in preparation for Wagner leaving.

I predict we may get someone in to "steady the ship" on a deal til the end of the season, though the target will still be survival as long as that's possible. If they're an "old-hand" such as Allardyce, then behind the scenes Hoyle will be looking for someone else long-term. If they're a relative unknown as Wagner was, then Hoyle will essentially be giving them a three-month job interview.

As for Warnock, he's a manager who's great when he's yours but a nightmare when he's the opposition's. His name being that anagram is like a drunken version of nominative determinism!

Fulham fan here. Yesterday's results didn't really do either of us any favours did they. We were hoping for that 'new manager boost' when Ranieri came in, but didn't materialise for us.

I do fear for both of us being on the wrong end of a tonking later on today!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Fulham fan here. Yesterday's results didn't really do either of us any favours did they. We were hoping for that 'new manager boost' when Ranieri came in, but didn't materialise for us.

I do fear for both of us being on the wrong end of a tonking later on today!
This season is gone for us, and today's game could end up with a scoreline usually only seen at the JSS in the summer when the egg-chasers are playing!

Drogba11CFC

Paulton Rovers 0...Winchester City 1 (Mlambo 35)

Winchester City came away from a tough away venue with all three points following a dominant performance. Simba Mlambo's lob in the 35th minute was the difference between the two sides but the visitors would have been out of sight by half time had it not been for the home keeper. A second Winchester City goal was ruled out for deliberate handball and a stoppage time save from City keeper Ryan Pryce saw the points head back to Hampshire.

Other Results:

Barnstaple Town 1...Thatcham Town 2

Bristol Manor Farm 2...Melksham Town 3

Cirencester Town 2...Blackfield & Langley 3

Evesham United 4...AFC Totton 3

Fleet Town 3...Bideford 2

Highworth Town 1...Street 0

Larkhall Athletic 2...Slimbridge 1

Mangotsfield United 5...Cinderford Town 0

Moneyfields 1...Yate Town 2

League Table:
1. Blackfield & Langley 23/50
----------------------------------
2. Yate Town 23/50
3. Moneyfields 22/49
4. Evesham United 24/43
5. Cirencester Town 23/40
---------------------------------
6. Melksham Town 23/38
7. Winchester City 23/36
16. Paulton Rovers 24/23
17. Slimbridge 24/19
18. Mangotsfield United 23/17
-----------------------------------
19. Fleet Town 23/13
20. Barnstaple Town 23/10

familyguy99

Macclesfield 2-1 Oldham

Disappointed day for Oldham as knowing they scored in very first minute, the performance wasn't that great and Macclesfield fully deserve victory.

Probably big news coming out of Oldham Athletic in last 24 hours is that Paul Scholes look set to become new manager at Oldham Athletic and if you believe rumours from twitter then Nicky Butt will also come in as Scholes assistant. It be interesting move if that happens and do wonder how well Scholes will do at Oldham if he become new manager there.

Darandio

Established Member
Macclesfield 2-1 Oldham

Disappointed day for Oldham as knowing they scored in very first minute, the performance wasn't that great and Macclesfield fully deserve victory.

Probably big news coming out of Oldham Athletic in last 24 hours is that Paul Scholes look set to become new manager at Oldham Athletic and if you believe rumours from twitter then Nicky Butt will also come in as Scholes assistant. It be interesting move if that happens and do wonder how well Scholes will do at Oldham if he become new manager there.

A really interesting one given his affinity with the club. As long as he doesn't assign himself as the tackling coach you should be alright.

It's also worth mentioning Macclesfield. Since Sol Campbell arrived they have been quite impressive and are playing some good stuff.

gnolife

Established Member
It's also worth mentioning Macclesfield. Since Sol Campbell arrived they have been quite impressive and are playing some good stuff.
A big name ex Premier League player doing a good job managing in the lower tiers? I didn't think that was possible!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 1 v Spennymoor 2 - Darlo lead at half time via a penalty but conceded two second half goals form free kicks neither of which were free kicks.

There were unsavory scenes during the match with visiting players behaving badly
(see attached northern echo report: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...tion-as-spennymoor-finally-topple-darlington/ worth reading for the phrase "not one that can be described in a family newspaper" in relation to one of the bad behaviuour incidents. )

and after the match they celebrated like they had won the champions league. It shows the tin pot, half horsed, small town northern league mentality prevalent in some clubs that have played Darlo. It is quite sad. It was a big day for them. It was a game for us. There was a bit of minor trouble in the car park afterwards and one visiting player was spoken to by police. Not sure the tannoy man helped after the match by saying "congratulations to Spennymoor on winning their first major trophy"!

My live football was Crawley Town v Port Vale which finished in a 1-0 win for Vale through Ricky Miller. Crawley were clueless. No plan, no ideas, no zip. Vale were solid and set out to not get beaten.

BTW - Crawley has to be the worst, least welcoming, scummy, depresing, chav infested town in the country and, yes, i have been to Hartlepool! When you come for the north east you expect all places down south to be nice. Crawley shows that to be a lie!

OwlMan

Established Member
The Following are the only four teams so far unbeaten in the top 6 levels of English non league football
Level 5 Sydenhams Wessex Premier – Sholing (20 games)
Level 6 Ebac Northern D2 – Billingham Town (26 games )
Level 6 Spartan South Midlands D1 – Harefield United (23 games)
Level 6 Sydenhams Wessex D1 – AFC Stoneham (20 games)

Whereas the following are the only two teams without a win
Level 5 Toolstation Western League: Shortwood United (23 Games)
Level 6 Carlsberg South West Penninsula Premier: Sticker (27 Games)

The_Train

Established Member
My live football was Crawley Town v Port Vale which finished in a 1-0 win for Vale through Ricky Miller. Crawley were clueless. No plan, no ideas, no zip. Vale were solid and set out to not get beaten.

Good timing as not many people get to see a Port Vale win these days. It appears that the solid set up you talk of is a popular tactic of a manager with no previous football league experience. Unfortunately it is usually as solid as a lump of jelly and this is why the club is in the doldrums and why a 1-0 win away at Crawley Town is such a massive result in respect of the club keeping its head above the choppy relegation waters

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good timing as not many people get to see a Port Vale win these days. It appears that the solid set up you talk of is a popular tactic of a manager with no previous football league experience. Unfortunately it is usually as solid as a lump of jelly and this is why the club is in the doldrums and why a 1-0 win away at Crawley Town is such a massive result in respect of the club keeping its head above the choppy relegation waters

Port Vale are managed by former Darlo pair Neil Aspin and Lee Nogan. Aspin signed for Darlo from Port Vale. He has got plenty of experience as a manager at Harrogate, Gateshead and Halifax where he was successful. There is very little difference between league 2 and the conference ( even the top of Conferance North) beyond fitness and "professionalism". The northern versions of non league pyramid are tough, hard leagues. Not so sure about the southern ones. I wonder if the chairman is more to blame for issues at Port Vale. He didn't seem popular with the travelling support.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Port Vale are managed by former Darlo pair Neil Aspin and Lee Nogan. Aspin signed for Darlo from Port Vale. He has got plenty of experience as a manager at Harrogate, Gateshead and Halifax where he was successful. There is very little difference between league 2 and the conference ( even the top of Conferance North) beyond fitness and "professionalism". The northern versions of non league pyramid are tough, hard leagues. Not so sure about the southern ones. I wonder if the chairman is more to blame for issues at Port Vale. He didn't seem popular with the travelling support.

I hear you on the League Two thing.

I’ve been watching League Two football all season and it’s very poor. It’s scrappy, with a lot of “industrial” football and kick and rush ethic.

The gulf between L1 and L2 is a chasm compared to the difference between L2 and the Conference (National League for newbies...).

The_Train

Established Member

Oh, without a shadow of a doubt the chairman of the club is dragging the Vale into oblivion. But Aspin can't be blameless as he seems to think fitting square objects into round holes is a good idea.

I agree that there isn't much difference between the top of non league and the bottom of the football league but my belief is that Port Vale should be well beyond this and making easy appointments of those who were legends of the club as a player just doesn't work.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I hear you on the League Two thing.

I’ve been watching League Two football all season and it’s very poor. It’s scrappy, with a lot of “industrial” football and kick and rush ethic.

The gulf between L1 and L2 is a chasm compared to the difference between L2 and the Conference (National League for newbies...).

it is a long time since Darlo played at that level ( and we were generally $hit) but we weren't that bad. I am sure of it. Has the standard declined?

Oh, without a shadow of a doubt the chairman of the club is dragging the Vale into oblivion. But Aspin can't be blameless as he seems to think fitting square objects into round holes is a good idea.

I agree that there isn't much difference between the top of non league and the bottom of the football league but my belief is that Port Vale should be well beyond this and making easy appointments of those who were legends of the club as a player just doesn't work.

But you have to be realistic. If the owner wont pay for good players you end up near the bottom. If you cant get the players you want you have to make the best of it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
it is a long time since Darlo played at that level ( and we were generally $hit) but we weren't that bad. I am sure of it. Has the standard declined?

Yes. I last saw L2 in 2007-08 and it was peppered with old pros who were in their late 30s stepping down from the Premier League. Slow, but cultured.

These days those sorts of players retire a little earlier and do coaching so they don’t end up in L2 paying off their third mortgage. Instead you get a horrible mess of 50% old hoofers who’ve never been any good, and 50% kids who are just starting out. I’ve seen some shocking teams this season. Cambridge United were the worst. I could have been playing for them and nobody would have noticed.