• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Howardh

Established Member
Are Bolton playing behind closed doors on Saturday? I know they have avoided winding-up again; but have they the cash to host the game?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Interesting how a load of Wolves fans have suddenly "come out of the woodwork" on here since they got promoted.

In years gone by you never heard a dickie bird out of them !! The odd mention of Villa was about the extent of Midlands participation.

The Villa fans have sunk without trace nearly as fast as their team.

Interesting how a load of Wolves fans have suddenly "come out of the woodwork" on here since they got promoted.

In years gone by you never heard a dickie bird out of them !! The odd mention of Villa was about the extent of Midlands participation.

The Villa fans have sunk without trace nearly as fast as their team.

We actually had nothing to shout about to be fair. Recent take over, great coaching set up, a couple of quality players and it's now a different place!!

Been a season ticket holder since 1986 and its the best football I have witnessed there.
So I don't mind if I have 'come out of the woodwork' lol

Puffing Devil

Established Member
With four small clubs in the semis this year it's hardly surprising. Brighton are claiming to have sold their main allocation and have been given an additional 1500.

I could take exception to that, though I do agree that the true Man City fanbase is small and local. There is not the national or international support to follow the footballing growth of the team. That means a lot of supporters cannot afford to make another trip to Wembley this year, with one eye on a possible cup final place. The ridiculous KO time of 5:30pm does not help return travel, either.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be so sure of that with us. Still a little optimistic, especially after our display against Chelsea (regardless of the result and the officiating incompetence that was on show, and how poor Chelsea were, I am very happy with the performance) and we have a winnable game in hand on Burnley (against Brighton, who are themselves falling into the fun at the bottom), and have Burnley themselves still to play. Added to that their run in is ever so slightly harder than ours (though it isn't nice for either of us - and both of us have horrible last games). It is going to be damn close I think!

I suppose that Burnley winning their last match and Cardiff City losing theirs tonight make your aspiration a little harder now to achieve fulfilment.

Iskra

Established Member
Why do you consider a club 200 miles from Leeds as a genuine rival?

I didn’t say they were local rivals :)

Check who their highest attendance each season is against for the last 15 years...

Rivalry is about many things. Animosity, competing in similar divisions, competing in the same parts of those divisions, big matches against each other (we played them in the play offs), it’s clearly a grudge match, we often have classic encounters (last two matches at ER finished 3-2 and 3-4), the games you look for first on the fixture list.

Millwall score highest for me on all the important factors.

Some Leeds fans claim rivalries with Chelsea, Man Utd etc but realistically we barely play them (it is great when we do though).

On the local front, Bradford we play even less than Man Utd. Huddersfield are tedious, barely register and we were rarely competing with each other in similar parts of the league at the same time. Sheffield Wednesday -possibly- but they are more interested in the Blades than us.

So if not Millwall, who else would it be for Leeds in the post prem years? Carlisle and Burnley, possibly.

Plenty of teams/supporters dislike us, but in most cases it isn’t mutual, rivalry is a two way process isn’t it?

Established Member
I could take exception to that, though I do agree that the true Man City fanbase is small and local. There is not the national or international support to follow the footballing growth of the team. That means a lot of supporters cannot afford to make another trip to Wembley this year, with one eye on a possible cup final place. The ridiculous KO time of 5:30pm does not help return travel, either.

There's no denying Man City are a very good team, but personally (and with respect), I don't think they can be considered as a big club (like Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc.) until they've won the Champions League.

Butts

Veteran Member
There's no denying Man City are a very good team, but personally (and with respect), I don't think they can be considered as a big club (like Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc.) until they've won the Champions League.

Watch this space...could happen this year !!!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I didn’t say they were local rivals :)

Check who their highest attendance each season is against for the last 15 years...

Rivalry is about many things. Animosity, competing in similar divisions, competing in the same parts of those divisions, big matches against each other (we played them in the play offs), it’s clearly a grudge match, we often have classic encounters (last two matches at ER finished 3-2 and 3-4), the games you look for first on the fixture list.

Millwall score highest for me on all the important factors.

Some Leeds fans claim rivalries with Chelsea, Man Utd etc but realistically we barely play them (it is great when we do though).

On the local front, Bradford we play even less than Man Utd. Huddersfield are tedious, barely register and we were rarely competing with each other in similar parts of the league at the same time. Sheffield Wednesday -possibly- but they are more interested in the Blades than us.

So if not Millwall, who else would it be for Leeds in the post prem years? Carlisle and Burnley, possibly.

Plenty of teams/supporters dislike us, but in most cases it isn’t mutual, rivalry is a two way process isn’t it?

You of course referring to having not played both the Bradford sides (City and Park Avenue) for a long time?

Iskra

Established Member
You of course referring to having not played both the Bradford sides (City and Park Avenue) for a long time?

:) I'm not sure many Park Avenue fans would claim us as rivals having not played each other since 1952. City fans definitely would though. It's a shame City are looking like going down this season (sincerely).

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
:) I'm not sure many Park Avenue fans would claim us as rivals having not played each other since 1952. City fans definitely would though. It's a shame City are looking like going down this season (sincerely).

The two Bradford clubs last played each other competitively in 1968/60 not 1952 (but not sure which City you are talking about).

The Bradford derby is the most evenly balanced one in the country with Avenue 21-20 ahead in the league games with the other 11 drawn. City are 2-1 ahead in the FA Cup while Avenue lead 1-0 in the FL Cup.

Avenue, famously, also lead Manchester United 9-8, with 3 drawn, in Football League fixtures. And we also beat Manchester City 8-2 at Maine Road in the FA Cup in 1946 (if that's the City you mean). Happy days.

On paper, we might just be one league below Bradford City next season, but we're not good enough to win three away games in the play-offs even if we manage to hang on in the top seven on NLN.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The two Bradford clubs last played each other competitively in 1968/60 not 1952 (but not sure which City you are talking about).

The Bradford derby is the most evenly balanced one in the country with Avenue 21-20 ahead in the league games with the other 11 drawn. City are 2-1 ahead in the FA Cup while Avenue lead 1-0 in the FL Cup.

Avenue, famously, also lead Manchester United 9-8, with 3 drawn, in Football League fixtures. And we also beat Manchester City 8-2 at Maine Road in the FA Cup in 1946 (if that's the City you mean). Happy days.

On paper, we might just be one league below Bradford City next season, but we're not good enough to win three away games in the play-offs even if we manage to hang on in the top seven on NLN.

Out of interest what has caused Park Avenue to fall so far out of contention of late? Back in the autumn and winter I am sure you were breathing down the neck of Chorley, but since then you've fallen well away.

Easter Saturday at Victory Park should be an absolute blinder. Given their horrendous run-in I am fully expecting Chorley to make a mess of it well before then but hope I am wrong!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
We are a part-time club kicking well above our weight. Our poor gates led to some budget cuts at the start of 2019 as a result of which we lost three good players. Since then we have been relying more and more on loan players which doesn't augur well for the future. Good luck against Stockport. Whatever the result, it would be a travesty if anybody other than Chorley and Stockport went up. Brackley and Altrincham look like the main threats.

On a different topic - an interesting thought. If Berwick Rangers are relegated, would they consider joining the English pyramid rather than play in the Lowland League?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 2 v FC United of Manchester 0 - two poor teams. We did enough. That should be us safe from relegation.

We are a part-time club kicking well above our weight. Our poor gates led to some budget cuts at the start of 2019 as a result of which we lost three good players. Since then we have been relying more and more on loan players which doesn't augur well for the future.

Sounds familiar! At least you have a decent manager!

Good luck against Stockport. Whatever the result, it would be a travesty if anybody other than Chorley and Stockport went up. Brackley and Altrincham look like the main threats.

Stockport & Chorley to go up. Not sure who as champions. Looks like 4 southern sides coming down so the north section boundary will have to shift south again. Suits me but i am not sure it suits many!

Watford 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Absolutely gutted to fall at the semi stage. Wolves did not play to their full potential and Delefou was the catalyst to Watford's comeback. Very good first goal for him.

Good luck to Watford... Hope they beat Man City now

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I suppose that Burnley winning their last match and Cardiff City losing theirs tonight make your aspiration a little harder now to achieve fulfilment.

I think Burnley beating Bournmouth is that one that is the real kicker! My optimism is slowly draining away :(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think Burnley beating Bournmouth is that one that is the real kicker! My optimism is slowly draining away :(
Garth Crooks was worried about Town "not trying" now we're down but we've been rubbish all season... Bournemouth are safely in mid-table but really should have been able to dispatch Burnley, who have been lucky in both games against us and are probably the next-worst side in the league after us.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
When will journalists start to understand the away goals rule?

On the back page of today's Guardian, it says "Barcelona secured a priceless away goal last night". This is very misleading as the only team who can win that tie on the away goals rule is Manchester United.

The simplest way of understanding this rule is this ...

If you don't score at home, you can't lose on away goals. That is why a 0-0 draw at home is not necessarily a bad result.

fowler9

Established Member
When will journalists start to understand the away goals rule?

On the back page of today's Guardian, it says "Barcelona secured a priceless away goal last night". This is very misleading as the only team who can win that tie on the away goals rule is Manchester United.

The simplest way of understanding this rule is this ...

If you don't score at home, you can't lose on away goals. That is why a 0-0 draw at home is not necessarily a bad result.
I get your point but Barca are more likely to win at home and Man U can't get through with a draw. I think priceless away win would have been a better way of putting it .The away goals rule is pretty irrelevant in this case .

It applies more in Liverpools away game. If we manage to score one in Porto they need to beat us 4-1 which seems unlikely. I have also just jinxed us. Ha ha.

familyguy99

Oldham 2-2 Swindon

I feel Oldham play offs hope have all but ended after this draw as Latics are now eight points draft from seven place Exeter and probably mean Oldham will need to win all final five matches something I don't think will happen.

I see Lincoln have become first team (in English league) to be promoted and Ipswich will be joining them in League one as Ipswich have been relegated from Championship this afternoon.

Darandio

Established Member
Looks like the Fleetwood job will be available soon. Joey Barton is alleged to have assaulted the Barnsley manager in the tunnel after the game.

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds United 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0

After a late equaliser from our dearest friends Millwall against Sheffield United, Leeds were dominant against their city co-habitants Wednesday. Leeds have a 3 point advantage in the race for automatic promotion, but we do have fixtures that look tougher on paper.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Looks like the Fleetwood job will be available soon. Joey Barton is alleged to have assaulted the Barnsley manager in the tunnel after the game.

How many "second chances" has Barton had over the years?

I can remember when he was playing for his hometown team Everton that on a night out, he extinguished a lit cigar on somebody's eye, and plus he also assaulted somebody else too. Quite rightly, he got sent to jail.

Darandio

Established Member
How many "second chances" has Barton had over the years?

I can remember when he was playing for his hometown team Everton that on a night out, he extinguished a lit cigar on somebody's eye, and plus he also assaulted somebody else too. Quite rightly, he got sent to jail.

He never played for Everton professionally, they released him as a kid. The cigar incident was when he was with Man City and it was one of their youth players. No excusing his behaviour of course, but the kid was trying to set fire to Barton's shirt at the time, while it was still on his back!

Cletus

Established Member
Dover won 3-2 at Barrow today despite being 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go, thus relegating Aldershot and Havant at the same time. (I wasn't there).

Puffing Devil

Established Member

I have no time for him at all - a thoroughly nasty piece of work with convictions for violent offences.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This years title race is amazing.
Salah’s goal was an absolute stunner today. Who blinks first? Manchester City or Liverpool?
Exciting, and going to be exciting right to the finish...

SS4

Established Member
An exciting run of form in the championship for the villa after beating Bristol. Hopefully we can take this momentum through to the playoff finals

richw

Veteran Member
This years title race is amazing.
Salah’s goal was an absolute stunner today. Who blinks first? Manchester City or Liverpool?
Exciting, and going to be exciting right to the finish...

I keep meaning to look up the fixture list, but can’t see Man City dropping points, they look in great form

Groningen

Established Member
Both the chase to be number 1 in England (City/Liverpool), Germany (Dortmund/Bayern), Portugal (Benfica/Porto) and the Netherlands (Ajax/PSV) are exciting.