• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town have appointed Danny Cowley as manager after agreeing terms with Lincoln, his brother Nicky also joins as his assistant.

Understandably Imps not happy, hopefully that's a good sign. The season starts for real now...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
BetVictor Northern Premier League

Hyde United 2 ... Nantwich Town 0

This Tuesday night fixture seems to have been one of the few scheduled Northern Premier league matches to be played. Hyde did not mistakenly view Nantwich Town as a lesser-rated opponent, as occurred in the annoying FA Cup qualifying match and defeat at the weekend away at Morpeth Town, Hyde opened the scoring just before half time. They then scored the second goal mid-way through the second half and their defence seemed far better aware than of late.

This is the fifth league victory for Hyde in their first seven matches and whilst other teams still have to play matches not played tonight, Hyde are currently occupying the top spot in this league.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The England game last night was fun. Lots of goals. Not sure about the defending mind!

England beat Kosovo 5-3 last night
I listened on the radio and it was very entertaining, and I hope Kosovo qualify for the Euros because they seem to throw their hearts into every game.
We need to sort our midfield out though don’t we?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I listened on the radio and it was very entertaining, and I hope Kosovo qualify for the Euros because they seem to throw their hearts into every game.
We need to sort our midfield out though don’t we?

Midfield is solid and workmanlike but could do with a bit of spark. Defense was porous in the extreme!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My apologies - it was the Pat Munro North of Scotland Cup they were playing in.

Your wish for a Highland League win actually came true last night.....:p

Fort William 1 ... Clachnacuddin 0

First Highland League win for 74 matches and covering a time period of 882 days since their last league win on 12th April 2017. The player who scored was one of the young players on loan from Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

youngiecj

Midfield is solid and workmanlike but could do with a bit of spark. Defense was porous in the extreme!
I was at the game. I thought England played well at times. It was certainly a superb atmosphere. The Kosovo team, you could tell meant so much to them and there fans playing England. The pressing and intensity was something I had not seen before (more than a Guardiola team) causing a few mistakes. England rely so much on Sterling though, absolute incredible talent.

StaffsWCML

Maddison would do a good job in Midfield. Will probably need to move to a top 6 club to meet the FA requirements.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

First Highland League win for 74 matches and covering a time period of 882 days since their last league win on 12th April 2017. The player who scored was one of the young players on loan from Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Good for them! they have done well to keep the club going

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Maddison would do a good job in Midfield. Will probably need to move to a top 6 club to meet the FA requirements.
What are these "FA requirements" you speak of? Surely the only requirements are that the players are English (or if they are eligible for other nations besides, that they haven't any senior competitive caps for those other nations)?

If he so desired, Gareth Southgate could select his next England squad entirely from players in League 2.

He's at a top 6 club.
Quite.

Darandio

Established Member
What are these "FA requirements" you speak of? Surely the only requirements are that the players are English (or if they are eligible for other nations besides, that they haven't any senior competitive caps for those other nations)?

If he so desired, Gareth Southgate could select his next England squad entirely from players in League 2.

It's just another of those silly comments referencing where people feel you have to play for a top club in order to be selected for England. It's even sillier if you consider the last squad had players from Aston Villa, Burnley, Everton and West Ham.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Your wish for a Highland League win actually came true last night.....:p

Good for them. Now I’m just waiting on Ormiston’s first league win since January 12th. I could be waiting a while though as they’ve got a few tough games in the next few weeks.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Women's Champions League...1st leg

Lugano Women 1 ... Manchester City Women 7

Lugano have quite a number of USA players in their team and after 65 minutes, Manchester City were only leading 2-1, but then they scored five more goals in the last 25 minutes.

Nice to take seven away goals when the second leg is played.

greyman42

Established Member
Belgium, for one example, with Kevin de Bruyne in a midfield role.
I would only fancy Belgium or France to beat England at the moment but England could well beat them both. Regarding creative midfields, Liverpool won the Champions league last season without, in many peoples opinion, a creative midfield player.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
BetVictor Northern Premier League

Whitby Town 2 ... Hyde United 0

The top of the table clash went the way of Whitby Town, who now take over the top spot in the league from Hyde, who drop to third place.

Hyde must regret recent visits to the North-East as they lost away to Morpeth Town in the FA Cup qualifying round recently.

Established Member
I would only fancy Belgium or France to beat England at the moment but England could well beat them both. Regarding creative midfields, Liverpool won the Champions league last season without, in many peoples opinion, a creative midfield player.

As a Liverpool fan I would agree with that.

Established Member
Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle United.

After an early Newcastle goal we responded with three, with Sadio Mané (2) and Mo Salah scoring for us today.

We're now 5 points clear at the top of the league after Norwich City beat Man City 3-2 at Carrow Road.

Karl

On Moderation
I'm impressed with Liverpool's early start. It would be good to see them do it this time. It makes a change. I'm a North End fan by the way. Go and and do it!!

Iskra

Established Member
Barnsley 0 Leeds 2

Early days yet, but Leeds go back top after a decent performance at Barnsley. It was a good, entertaining match with some good football from both sides and I think Barnsley will do reasonably well this season.

Sadly, the authorities were incompetent again, the highlight being this steward running into the Leeds crowd to assault and drag out a fan who had done absolutely nothing wrong:

The steward himself was later dragged/hounded out, so hopefully he is facing the full force of the law and not the fan. It was lucky it was all very well documented by the travelling fans. Disgusting behaviour, and people wonder why football fans don't like the people there to 'protect them.' On a positive, SYP did manage to be slightly less incompetent than normal and the Leeds fans were treat to a football special consisting of a trio of pacers on the way home- what a way to celebrate 3 points.

Established Member
I'm impressed with Liverpool's early start. It would be good to see them do it this time. It makes a change. I'm a North End fan by the way. Go and and do it!!

It is an encouraging start I agree, although I am a bit concerned we're conceding in nearly every game. Last season it was a lot harder to score against us.

Other than that though I'm happy with how things are going for Liverpool so far.

Karl

On Moderation
Barnsley 0 Leeds 2

Early days yet, but Leeds go back top after a decent performance at Barnsley. It was a good, entertaining match with some good football from both sides and I think Barnsley will do reasonably well this season.

Sadly, the authorities were incompetent again, the highlight being this steward running into the Leeds crowd to assault and drag out a fan who had done absolutely nothing wrong:

The steward himself was later dragged/hounded out, so hopefully he is facing the full force of the law and not the fan. It was lucky it was all very well documented by the travelling fans. Disgusting behaviour, and people wonder why football fans don't like the people there to 'protect them.' On a positive, SYP did manage to be slightly less incompetent than normal and the Leeds fans were treat to a football special consisting of a trio of pacers on the way home- what a way to celebrate 3 points.

Crikey. That's disgusting by the steward. The poor lad did bugger all wrong, apart from celebtating a Leeds goal :) . I do hope the steward gets reprimanded.