• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Antman

Established Member
What really amuses me is whenever Liverpool get a penalty because a player's gone down in the box after being fouled (and Mané was quite clearly fouled by the Leicester player, watch Albrighton's reaction), there's nothing but absolute outrage. However, if it's any other team in the league then it's completely acceptable because nobody says anything about it.
Not that old chestnut again? Man Utd fans have been trotting out similar mantra for years.

I'd say exactly the same whichever team was involved. I don't see any foul on Mane, just blatant simulation which he then compounds by writhing in pretend agony and I don't think Jurgen Klopp covered himself in glory with a ridiculous post match rant about the foul on Sala in order to deflect attention away from Mane. Yes it obviously was a foul on Sala but no way did it merit anymore than a yellow. Still I suppose the title race is over already with Man City losing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Who will stop Liverpool/Diverpool as one guy on here calls them? It'll be tough. I'm a Manc Red so anyone but is fine with me. City the least I guess but even that's better...
For me it's "anyone but City", not because I've anything particularly against them but because as a Huddersfield fan I don't want another team (after Arsenal, Liverpool and yourselves) equalling the record hat-trick of successive league titles we set 96 years ago.

Here in West Yorkshire it looks like the Cowleys are starting to get a bit of a tune out of our previously disjointed rag-tag of Premier League misfits. Even Elias Kachunga (who was our leading scorer when we got promoted, but was on a two-season goal drought and missed an absolute gobber on Tuesday) managed to get the third to put the icing on the cake!

Early days still, and it's likely to still be a rough season, but I'm now reasonably confident that we'll stay up at least.

Darandio

Established Member
I don't see any foul on Mane, just blatant simulation which he then compounds by writhing in pretend agony

You don't see that the referee sees? You could clearly see he caught him and he is entitled to go down.

and I don't think Jurgen Klopp covered himself in glory with a ridiculous post match rant about the foul on Sala in order to deflect attention away from Mane. Yes it obviously was a foul on Sala but no way did it merit anymore than a yellow.

It was a terrible challenge and the third time Choudhury has made a very dangerous challenge in less than 4 months. First one he put a kid out of the rest of the European Champs, he put Matt Ritchie out for two months and now he's done Salah.

Established Member
Not that old chestnut again? Man Utd fans have been trotting out similar mantra for years.

I'd say exactly the same whichever team was involved. I don't see any foul on Mane, just blatant simulation which he then compounds by writhing in pretend agony and I don't think Jurgen Klopp covered himself in glory with a ridiculous post match rant about the foul on Sala in order to deflect attention away from Mane. Yes it obviously was a foul on Sala but no way did it merit anymore than a yellow. Still I suppose the title race is over already with Man City losing?

Really? I'll give you an example.

Alan Shearer after Dejan Lovren puts his hand on Calvert-Lewin's shoulder: "You can't give someone a reason to go down."
Alan Shearer after Marc Albrighton fouls Sadio Mané: "It's a dive, it's a contact sport."

There was a clear foul, if you actually bothered to watch the replay without your clear anti Liverpool bias then you can tell if you look at Albrighton's reaction. He didn't protest or appeal against the referee's decision to award the penalty, and a VAR review upheld the referee's decision.

Antman

Established Member
You don't see that the referee sees? You could clearly see he caught him and he is entitled to go down.

It was a terrible challenge and the third time Choudhury has made a very dangerous challenge in less than 4 months.

I haven't heard anybody other than Liverpool fans say it was a penalty, both Shearer and Murphy on MOTD agreed that it wasn't.

The foul on Sala was fairly innocuous and certainly not worth more than a yellow and I doubt Klopp would have even mentioned it if it wasn't for the Mane incident.

Antman

Established Member
Really? I'll give you an example.

Alan Shearer after Dejan Lovren puts his hand on Calvert-Lewin's shoulder: "You can't give someone a reason to go down."
Alan Shearer after Marc Albrighton fouls Sadio Mané: "It's a dive, it's a contact sport."

There was a clear foul, if you actually bothered to watch the replay without your clear anti Liverpool bias then you can tell if you look at Albrighton's reaction. He didn't protest or appeal against the referee's decision to award the penalty, and a VAR review upheld the referee's decision.
That's just it, I don't have any anti Liverpool bias, I'm just sick of seeing cheats prosper whoever they play for.

Established Member
That's just it, I don't have any anti Liverpool bias, I'm just sick of seeing cheats prosper whoever they play for.

Fair enough, I apologise.

I don't like cheats prospering either. However, until referees and/or VAR start awarding penalty kicks to players who are clearly fouled but don't go down, then players are going to keep going down in the box even if the foul isn't enough to bring them down.

fowler9

Established Member
Win a penalty? Blatantly cheat you mean? Clear dive by Mane, the very thing VAR is supposed to be stamping out.
The ref thought it was a foul, VAR thought it was a foul, the ref writing in my dad's copy of the Mail On Sunday thought it was a foul. You didn't. Pardon me if I go with what a list of referees thought and not some bloke who'd rather Liverpool hadn't won.

Antman

Established Member
Fair enough, I apologise.

I don't like cheats prospering either. However, until referees and/or VAR start awarding penalty kicks to players who are clearly fouled but don't go down, then players are going to keep going down in the box even if the foul isn't enough to bring them down.
No problem, I think that's one thing that we all agree on about cheats.

Antman

Established Member
The ref thought it was a foul, VAR thought it was a foul, the ref writing in my dad's copy of the Mail On Sunday thought it was a foul. You didn't. Pardon me if I go with what a list of referees thought and not some bloke who'd rather Liverpool hadn't won.
Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy didn't think it was a penalty either and nor did a whole host of other pundits but clearly they don't know what they're talking about.

fowler9

Established Member
Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy didn't think it was a penalty either and nor did a whole host of other pundits but clearly they don't know what they're talking about.
Alan Shearer who threatened not to play for England after stamping on a Leicester player? I really don't care what the pundits think. They aren't referees. That's like getting done by the police for breaking the laws of the road and asking another random motorist what they think.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Who will stop Liverpool/Diverpool as one guy on here calls them? It'll be tough. I'm a Manc Red so anyone but is fine with me. City the least I guess but even that's better...

One of the cringiest things in recent years is seeing the Man Utd fans who would rather see their nearest rival win the title. They really need to get their own house in order first but hopefully Ole is still at the wheel in a fortnight.

fowler9

Established Member
Pluto you should Google Shearer stamping on Neil Lennons head. He makes Suarez and Vinny Jones look like St Peter and St Paul.

Antman

Established Member
Pluto you should Google Shearer stamping on Neil Lennons head. He makes Suarez and Vinny Jones look like St Peter and St Paul.
What on earth has that got to do with the Mane incident yesterday?

Antman

Established Member
What difference does it make? Chris Kavanagh was the referee yesterday and he gave the penalty. That's all that matters.
It was fowler9 who pointed out that pundits aren't referee's before admitting that he wasn't either. Chris Kavanagh was clearly wrong to have given the penalty.

richw

Veteran Member

The pundits aren’t qualified referees. The referees who’ve all commented all agree with it being a penalty. I’ll take their professional knowledge as being the best reflection that it was a penalty

Antman

Established Member
The pundits aren’t qualified referees. The referees who’ve all commented all agree with it being a penalty. I’ll take their professional knowledge as being the best reflection that it was a penalty
So you've never questioned a refereeing decision that's gone against your team?

fowler9

Established Member
What on earth has that got to do with the Mane incident yesterday?
And what has the opinion of a former professional footballer who threatened not to play for England if he got done for stamping on Neil Lennons head got to do with it and every referee involved saying Mane was fouled?

Antman

Established Member
And what has the opinion of a former professional footballer who threatened not to play for England if he got done for stamping on Neil Lennons head got to do with it and every referee involved saying Mane was fouled?
Seriously...... the Neil Lennon incident was over 20 years ago. It has no bearing on Shearer's opinion of the Mane incident yesterday.

fowler9

Established Member
Seriously...... the Neil Lennon incident was over 20 years ago. It has no bearing on Shearer's opinion of the Mane incident yesterday.
And you trust the opinion of a retired footballer who tried to get away with stamping on a fellow professionals head over that of a current referee. Go figure.

fowler9

Established Member
Perhaps they should still have ashtrays in the changing rooms and be allowed to walk to the game with a hangover. I don't give two shiny sh*ts if Danny Murphy or Alan Shearer think it was a foul or not. The referee and VAR did. We had an iffy pen given against us in the Napoli game. It is what it is. I don't doubt for a second you think that was completely fair.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And you trust the opinion of a retired footballer who tried to get away with stamping on a fellow professionals head over that of a current referee. Go figure.
I don't understand what this has got to do with it, but Lennon himself (who was the instigator) defended Shearer at the time.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I would have thought Man U fans would be a little more concerned about not even being the top team in their city, but the obsession continues.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I haven't heard anybody other than Liverpool fans say it was a penalty, both Shearer and Murphy on MOTD agreed that it wasn't.

The foul on Sala was fairly innocuous and certainly not worth more than a yellow and I doubt Klopp would have even mentioned it if it wasn't for the Mane incident.

Nobody thought it was a penalty except Liverpool fans, Mane, the ref, VAR, and Marc Albrighton who committed the foul. That’s good enough for me.

And are you a referee?

I’m not sure any of us are, but there was one at the Liverpool game who gave his opinion through a whistle.

fowler9

Established Member
I don't understand what this has got to do with it, but Lennon himself (who was the instigator) defended Shearer at the time.
What it has to do with it is Pluto regarding Shearers opinion as more important than the referees, VAR's and referees in the press. As for Lennon defending Shearer he must have been concussed. Just watch it.