• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Last word on this liverpool penalty:

Before football went soft that isnt a penalty. In the current game and especially with VAR that is a penalty.

Can we move on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What it has to do with it is Pluto regarding Shearers opinion as more important than the referees, VAR's and referees in the press. As for Lennon defending Shearer he must have been concussed. Just watch it.
I still don't understand why this is being brought up.

And concussion (if there was any) does not last for two weeks..
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-shearer-sails-clear-of-fa-sanction-1159855.html
....influential figures, including the alleged victim himself ... formed a queue to give evidence on the England captain's behalf.

fowler9

Established Member

Butts

Veteran Member
Perhaps they should still have ashtrays in the changing rooms and be allowed to walk to the game with a hangover. I don't give two shiny sh*ts if Danny Murphy or Alan Shearer think it was a foul or not. The referee and VAR did. We had an iffy pen given against us in the Napoli game. It is what it is. I don't doubt for a second you think that was completely fair.

Excellent idea !!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Sholing 1...Winchester City 2 (Mason 4; Barron 20, Panesar-Dower 74)

Winchester City took 3 points in a local derby after going a goal down early on. Jamie Barron equalised and from then on it was the visitors who looked more likely to win, with Dom Panesar-Dower pouncing when Sholing's keeper dropped the ball from a corner.

Other Results:

AFC Totton 2...Frome Town 3

Barnstaple Town 0...Moneyfields 3

Basingstoke Town 3...Highworth Town 2

Cinderford Town 1...Melksham Town 1

Cirencester Town 2...Paulton Rovers 4

Evesham United 4...Mangotsfield United 0

Larkhall Athletic 3...Willand Rovers 1

Slimbridge 2...Bideford 1

FA Cup:

Bristol Manor Farm 0...Wealdstone 0

League Table:

1. Paulton Rovers 9/22 GD 14
---------------------------------------------
2. Frome Town 10/21 GD 10
3. Thatcham Town 8/20 GD 10
4. Evesham United 8/17 GD 8
5. Slimbridge 8/15 GD 4
----------------------------------------------
6. Cinderford Town 8/14 GD 3
7. Winchester City 8/14 GD 1
8. Larkhall Athletic 8/14 GD 0
9. Mangotsfield Utd 9/13 GD 1
10. Highworth Town 8/10 GD -2
11. Bideford 8/10 GD -4
12. Cirencester Town 7/9 GD 0
13. Moneyfields 6/8 GD 4
14. Melksham Town 8/8 GD -5
15. Willand Rovers 9/7 GD -5
16. AFC Totton 9/7 GD -7
17. Sholing 8/6 GD -5
18. Basingstoke Town 9/6 GD -6
-----------------------------------------------
19. Barnstaple Town 10/6 GD -18
20. Bristol Manor Farm 5/5 GD -3

I know we all have our favourite teams, is there really a need to post full scores and leagues? Is this thread for football discussion or vanity posting of your pet teams?

My vote is for discussion - was Mane a dive? Stewarding issues at matches? Interesting league draws? Effect of VAR on the game?

Much as I love Grimsby Town, unless they cause some major controversy, the results of their games are unlikely to provoke discussion or interest to many on this thread. Those that do care will have the results already as we're all already online.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I know we all have our favourite teams, is there really a need to post full scores and leagues? Is this thread for football discussion or vanity posting of your pet teams?

My vote is for discussion - was Mane a dive? Stewarding issues at matches? Interesting league draws? Effect of VAR on the game?

Much as I love Grimsby Town, unless they cause some major controversy, the results of their games are unlikely to provoke discussion or interest to many on this thread. Those that do care will have the results already as we're all already online.
I have no problem with users posting as much or as little information as they choose. If it provokes a discussion then great, but if it doesn't it doesn't. It's no skin off your nose if there's a post that you choose to scroll past.

I wish people would stop trying to police the behaviour of other members. If something is genuinely off-topic or otherwise breaks the rules then report it... if it just happens to not fit your preferences, then suck it up, buttercup.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy didn't think it was a penalty either and nor did a whole host of other pundits but clearly they don't know what they're talking about.
I’m currently doing a football refereeing course and if it’s taught me one thing - pundits do NOT know the laws of the game. (It has taught me many other things and I am looking forward to starting refereeing in a couple of weeks)

Last word on this liverpool penalty:

Before football went soft that isnt a penalty. In the current game and especially with VAR that is a penalty.

Can we move on?
This was not an example of football going soft. Albrighton stepped on Mane’s foot and stopped him from moving - that is a foul. If I was refereeing and saw that I would give a penalty.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This was not an example of football going soft. Albrighton stepped on Mane’s foot and stopped him from moving - that is a foul. If I was refereeing and saw that I would give a penalty.

It is an example of football going soft. There is no way, in proper real mens football, that is a penalty. The contact was there but was marginal. Penalties used to be for proper outrageous fouls not tippy tappy nonsense like this and the fact that you think it is a penalty shows the problem with the game. And don't get me started on VAR!

I’m currently doing a football refereeing course

Good for you. We need more referees. You are a better man than me!

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I have no problem with users posting as much or as little information as they choose. If it provokes a discussion then great, but if it doesn't it doesn't. It's no skin off your nose if there's a post that you choose to scroll past.

I wish people would stop trying to police the behaviour of other members. If something is genuinely off-topic or otherwise breaks the rules then report it... if it just happens to not fit your preferences, then suck it up, buttercup.

No policing here - a discussion on what makes a good thread, not a tedious one. No need to get offensive.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No policing here - a discussion on what makes a good thread, not a tedious one. No need to get offensive.
You quoted a post which you felt was tedious, and questioned it. Those that agree with you that it was tedious now have two tedious posts to scroll past (well three, including this one).

I'd be more interested in reading about how Grimsby Town (and Winchester City for that matter) are doing than a post criticising another post that was made two days ago.

As for offence, my final clause was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I omitted the smiley.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Penalties used to be for proper outrageous fouls not tippy tappy nonsense like this and the fact that you think it is a penalty shows the problem with the game.
I’m going by the Laws of the Game and the Laws of the Game disagree with you. If that foul was on the halfway line a free kick would be given and no-one would complain - therefore a penalty should be given. However I do understand where you're coming from.

981A2A5F-4959-485E-A2C1-9AF83D3CD6A5.png

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I’m going by the Laws of the Game and the Laws of the Game disagree with you. If that foul was on the halfway line a free kick would be given and no-one would complain

On the half way line it wouldn't be given as a free kick!

I will be honest and say i doubt you would get a penalty for that kind off offence at National North level. You barely get a penalty for GBH!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
THE EMIRATES FA CUP FOURTH ROUND QUALIFYING DRAW

Northern section

1 Hednesford Town v Boston United
2 Gateshead v Colne
3 Barrow AFC v Solihull Moors
4 Whitby Town or Gloucester City v Stourbridge
5 Hartlepool United v Brackley Town
6 Nantwich Town v Kings Lynn Town
7 Chorley v Spennymoor Town
8 Southport v Altrincham
9 Tamworth or Hereford v Darlington
10 York City v Stockport County
11 Notts County v Belper Town
12 Chesterfield v Wrexham
13 FC Halifax Town v Harrogate Town
14 AFC Fylde v Peterborough Sports

Southern section

15 Whyteleafe v Chippenham Town or Slough Town
16 Haringey Borough v Yeovil Town
17 Havant & Waterlooville v Dulwich Hamlet
18 Ebbsfleet United v Woking
19 Welling United v Eastleigh
20 Bromley v Aldershot Town
21 Maidstone United v Kings Langley
22 Maidenhead United v Bristol Manor Farm or Wealdstone
23 Oxford City v Margate
24 Canvey Island or Bowers & Pitsea v Chichester City
25 Hayes & Yeading United v Poole Town
26 Royston Town v Maldon & Tiptree
27 Potters Bar Town v Barnet
28 Torquay United v Boreham Wood
29 Sutton United v Billericay Town
30 Weymouth v Dover Athletic
31 Dartford v Kingstonian or Weston Super Mare
32 Carshalton Athletic v Dagenham & Redbridge

I am happy with our draw. A team in the same league as us or one in, essentially, the league below is about as well as we could have done. I would prefer Tamworth for obvious reasons !

Established Member
It was a good game to watch.

You could see that Wolves wanted at least a goal and deserved it, but as soon as they got thst first goal you could see that they wanted all 3 points.

I saw the highlights on Match of the Day, and Wolves were definitely deserved winners.

The_Train

Established Member
Is anyone out there daring to write off Man City yet? It will be interesting to see how Liverpool react when this winning PL run comes to an end (assuming, of course, that it will come to an end at some point during this season)

Butts

Veteran Member
Is anyone out there daring to write off Man City yet? It will be interesting to see how Liverpool react when this winning PL run comes to an end (assuming, of course, that it will come to an end at some point during this season)

It should be noted Liverpool were 10 points clear last year and still blew it - hopefully this will not happen again.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I had a feeling that non-league teams are considered to be "not worth the mention" in certain people's eyes on this thread, save where an F A Cup upset involving one of these teams is made mention of. My own team of Hyde United over recent years had a rise in fortunes with successive promotions that took them to what I still call the Conference Premiership and I was at the home game when they beat Woking 7-0, scoring six second-half goals in the process, in their first season at that level, but sad to say, league scouts were active and seven of the team went to League 1 and League 2 clubs. The not-unexpected scenario then occurred the second season at that level was a total disaster, Hyde being relegated with the lowest number of points recorded in that league. Two further relegations occurred until stability under a new manager saw promotion to what is now called the BetVictor Northern Premier League.

If making brief postings of Hyde United match summaries has caused annoyance, then I offer my most sincere apologies. I have refrained from making further Hyde United postings on this thread. I would like to finish by saying that Hyde United still hold the record defeat score in the F A Cup, losing 26-0 to Preston North End in the 19th century.

fowler9

Established Member
I had a feeling that non-league teams are considered to be "not worth the mention" in certain people's eyes on this thread, save where an F A Cup upset involving one of these teams is made mention of. My own team of Hyde United over recent years had a rise in fortunes with successive promotions that took them to what I still call the Conference Premiership and I was at the home game when they beat Woking 7-0, scoring six second-half goals in the process, in their first season at that level, but sad to say, league scouts were active and seven of the team went to League 1 and League 2 clubs. The not-unexpected scenario then occurred the second season at that level was a total disaster, Hyde being relegated with the lowest number of points recorded in that league. Two further relegations occurred until stability under a new manager saw promotion to what is now called the BetVictor Northern Premier League.

If making brief postings of Hyde United match summaries has caused annoyance, then I offer my most sincere apologies. I have refrained from making further Hyde United postings on this thread. I would like to finish by saying that Hyde United still hold the record defeat score in the F A Cup, losing 26-0 to Preston North End in the 19th century.
It doesn't cause me any annoyance and they are certainly not not worth commenting on. It love reading everyone's stories from the days play. I don't often comment because I don't know enough about it. I keep an eye on several lower divisions teams such as Bath City as my brother lived there for a while and follows them. Also Tranmere as a good mate is a season ticket holder there. There are several others I keep an eye on. I like your updates on how Hyde are doing.

Frankly I find supporting Liverpool painful at the moment which probably sounds stupid. There is not much joy in it for me half the time and my mate who supports Tranmere seems to have much more fun.

FGW_Lad

Preston North End have had uncanny reputation of having managers dismissed after playing their teams. Barnsley yesterday. Reading are next?

Confirmed today. This will be our 4th manager since Jaap Stam was sacked in 2018, bad times at this club.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It should be noted Liverpool were 10 points clear last year and still blew it - hopefully this will not happen again.

It should be noted Liverpool were 10 points clear last year and still blew it - hopefully this will happen again

Fixed that for you :lol:

Howardh

Established Member
Scotland.

:'(

Happily for me Oranje managed to find themselves with ten minutes to go. A toe-poke, goal-line tap-in and one squeezed in just before the whistle navigated a difficult night against a dogged N.I. side.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo 2 v Boston 1

4th win in a row for Darlo. 7 players missing due to international call ups, injury and suspension. BIG cup game next weekend. One more win and we are in the 1st round of the FA Cup. So we will lose................

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Tyrone Mings will make his England debut today. However, surely the real question is:

Tyrone Mings: Does he?

I thank you. You have been a wonderful audience.