Football

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MidnightFlyer, 9 Apr 2011.

1. Karl

Karl Member

Paul, I hope you don't mind me asking. I don't want to be rude. Can you explain your new user name? I'm discombobulated. I still recall you as Paul.

2. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

I have sent what I still call a "PM" to you detailing the reasons for it and also to inform you of the age-related medical reasons why it became essential why we have relocated home to an area with services on hand.

3. TrainTube

TrainTube Member

Arsenal play Leeds United on the 6th of January! Leeds are currently top of the Championship ahead of West Brom on goal difference, and have an impressive 15 wins. Arsenal meanwhile are 10th in the Premier League with only 6 wins, only 3 other teams in the Prem have fewer wins. However, Arsenal come off an impressive 2-0 win over Man United, new head coach Mikel Arteta's first win.
    Each teams recent form has been mixed. Leeds have won 6 of their last 10 games, with 3 draws and only 1 loss. Despite that, Leeds have lost 5 out of their last 6 matches against Arsenal, they will have to play at their best for this fixture. Arsenal have only won 2 out of their last 10 games, with 4 draws and 4 losses. During that time they have had 3 head coaches, possibly hinting their performances were down to players rather than staff.
    This is the 17th fixture between the 2 teams, both I'm sure will want to win this game, as the loser will be out of the competition and both teams need silverware.
    Should be a cracker of a game!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2020
  4. Grumpy Git

Grumpy Git Member

Always a good day when Leeds (or Man U) get beat.

5. greyman42

greyman42 Member

None of the above takes into account what strength team Arteta choses to field. Regardless of that, Leeds don't have any chance of winning the F A Cup, even if they beat a weakened Arsenal. If Arsenal field a strong side they will easily win.

6. TrainTube

TrainTube Member

Being a Liverpool Fan, it's brilliant seeing Uniteds demise, i'm sure Arsenal fans will agree too.

7. Xenophon PCDGS

All that being said, which was the team to have spoilt what should have been a perfect 100% league record so far this season for Liverpool?

8. TrainTube

TrainTube Member

To be honest I don't really mind the draw, if they would've beaten us (which was the case until near the end) then it would've been different but I don't expect any team to have a 100% win record, I think we will draw to another team. If we win every single game now then I will look back and be slightly annoyed but I can't complain where we are in.
    Man United may have beaten us, but they have problems of their own and their league position is only due to poor performances of other teams.

9. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

That may not be quite right.
    Screenshot_20200103-205725.png

10. TrainTube

TrainTube Member

Edited. I assumed they did as they had the same points, should've looked again.

11. Greenboy

Greenboy Member

On paper it might sound like a cracker of a game but promotion is obviously Leeds priority and Arsenal probably haven't totally given up on a top four finish, how serious they'll take this game remains to be seen.

12. Xenophon PCDGS

BetVictor Northern Premier League

Hyde United 1 ... FC United of Manchester 5

It was expected that 3rd place FC United would extract revenge on Hyde at Ewen Fields this afternoon for Hyde winning 2-1 away to them in the second match of this season and FC United brought an excellent number of supporters with them and the attendance was 1,293.

FC United played with the assurance of a side that had won its last five matches and the scoreline reflects their all round confidence that Hyde just could not come to terms with.

13. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

The offside rule itself needs updating to mitigate the unintended effects of VAR.

The spirit of the original offside law was that a player should not gain an advantage by being nearer to the goal than the last defender. If the two players were level then the attacker would be onside.

So we now need to formulate a sensible definition of "level" which will remove "armpit" and "toenail" decisions. In my view if there is any overlap between the torsos of the two players then they are "level".

And the technology needs to be improved so we can be sure that the line is drawn at the exact moment the ball is played. I'm not sure how this can be achieved with 100% certainty.

Rugby Union seems to manage quite well with technology despite the grey area of what constitutes a forward pass (i.e. is the pass forward relative to the ground or relative to the moving players).

14. richw

richw Established Member

When I was referring Rugby the directive was the direction the hands moved in marginal passes.
    Likewise I’ve never seen the TMO using such lines to get offside by millimetres.

15. youngiecj

youngiecj Member

Bradford Park Avenue 1 Boston 2. Sounded like a terrible game, but a much 3 points needed after defeat on NYD. Still well in the play-off hunt..

16. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Liverpool’s youth team just beat Everton’s first team, who were pathetic to be honest.

17. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

And what a goal that was by Curtis Jones!

18. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

Who has one of the thickest Scouse accents I’ve heard in my life :D

19. TrainTube

TrainTube Member

I was thrilled, love beating the people across the park! As Shankly said, the best 2 teams in Liverpool are Liverpool and Liverpool reserves!

20. Grumpy Git

Grumpy Git Member

Northampton away for me. Wish me luck getting a ticket for that one.

21. greyman42

greyman42 Member

While Shankly said it as tongue in cheek, it has actually turned out to be true at this present time.

22. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

I don’t know who thought non-league football in Scotland in January was a good idea :D

E0AAD9D8-2FCA-4396-875C-B8C74F1AA31C.jpeg

23. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Looks like Peebles Rovers forgot to do their rain dance last night...

24. Xenophon PCDGS

Hyde United 0 ... Whitby Town 2

Whitby scored after 32 minutes and added a second just before the final whistle. They seem to have improved in recent times, whereas Hyde went down to a third successive home defeat.

Hyde have the poorest home win record in the top ten teams, winning only 4 of 13 home matches, but strangely being a better side away from home and surprisingly still in 9th place in the league.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
  25. Xenophon PCDGS

Classes in rain dancing have long been a tradition at Fort William FC....:)

26. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Interesting post new year period for Darlo:

Blyth Spartans 1 v Darlo 2

Speenymoor 3 v Darlo 1 - lost 2 late goals pushing forward. A fence collapsed in the Darlo end due to over crowding.

Darlo 2 v Gloucester City 1

Darlo 1 v Solihull Moors 0 -
    FA Trophy replay against a good conference side & 4k prize money

Darlo 0 v Harrogate 2 -
    FA Trophy defeat against a good conference side

27. Karl

Karl Member

The rain dance seems to have been productive.....

In the Highland League..

Clachnacuddin 0 - Fort William 1

:)

28. Xenophon PCDGS

Nantwich Town 4 ... Hyde United 0

Hyde must have rued the visit to sixth place Nantwich, who had won eight of their eleven home games, whilst Hyde's confidence must have all but gone after the recent run of losses. Nantwich were 4-0 up after only 37 minutes and they should have pressed home their advantage better in the goal-less second half.

Hyde now down to twelfth place after this very poor display.

29. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Notts County 0-0 Dover Athletic

1st ever trip to Meadow Lane. Incredible ground for non-league football!

A pretty poor game, but 271 content away fans :smile:

30. youngiecj

youngiecj Member

Southport 1 Boston 3. Another good away win. A small cushion now with teams outside the playoffs, difficult match on Tuesday night against our bogey team Brackley.