• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
BetVictor Northern Premier League

Hyde United 3 ... Matlock Town 1

Hyde took the lead in the 22nd minute and mid-way through the second half, went 2-0 up thanks to an own goal by a Matlock player. Both sides scored in the last five minutes. The win moves Hyde up to 10th place in the league.

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds 2 Huddersfield 0

Leeds beat Huddersfield to go top of the League and more importantly, move 7 points clear of third place. 5 wins on the bounce and no goals conceded in those 5 games. Next up, Cardiff Away and Neil Harris, who both tend to do very well against us.

youngiecj

Curzon 1 Boston 1 Missed opportunity , conceding a Penalty late on against 10 men. Slim hopes of a late title charge non existent now IMO. Try and stake a claim in the playoffs!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Bradford 2 Chester 1

A win at last - and an enormous relief as I live near Chester and was dreading facing my friends and acquaintances after a trouncing! We're now one ahead of Fort William.

Just a pity Bournemouth couldn't grab a point at Anfield as Liverpool home in on our record of 25 successive home wins set in 1927 in D3N. The Reds need to win all their remaining home Premier League games this season to beat it. We're just hoping they'll slacken off once they've secured the title.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Kings Lynn Town 0 Bradford 1

Struth where did that come from?? Kings Lynn, second in National League on 64 points, two behind leaders York with four games in hand. Bradford, bottom on 17 points, 14 points from safety with a goal difference of minus 54.

I'm just relieved I was tied up at the bridge club all night and couldn't listen to the match commentary as the suspense would have been unbearable. Bradford vs Curzon Ashton (3rd bottom) on Saturday is now the cliched "must-win" game.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
All English elite (EPL and EFL) football matches postponed until "at least" the 3rd April due to COVID-19.

After missing the last two home games for family reasons I was looking forward to tomorrow's game, might check out a lower league game instead.

underbank

Established Member
All English elite (EPL and EFL) football matches postponed until "at least" the 3rd April due to COVID-19.

After missing the last two home games for family reasons I was looking forward to tomorrow's game, might check out a lower league game instead.

Can't imagine them re-starting on 3 April in reality. Things will be worse then, not better. I think we've just seen the end of the season.

Iskra

Established Member
Typical for this to happen when Leeds are doing good...

On the positive side, summer football could be good...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Typical for this to happen when Leeds are doing good...

On the positive side, summer football could be good...
If the season does end up going no further, there'll be a decision to make regarding promotion and relegation... do we just use the current positions to decide or do we void the whole season and start again?

As things stand we won't be affected, for a change!

Iskra

Established Member
If the season does end up going no further, there'll be a decision to make regarding promotion and relegation... do we just use the current positions to decide or do we void the whole season and start again?

As things stand we won't be affected, for a change!

Whatever decision gets made, some team will have a reason to kick off about it.

What about the looming points deductions too?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Whatever decision gets made, some team will have a reason to kick off about it.

What about the looming points deductions too?
If the season ends early, hopefully any points deductions for FFP breaches (Derby and Sheffield Yesterday being the clubs involved, I think) will carry over to next season, as they do if applied to already-relegated clubs.

Out of curiosity, were the seasons immediately preceding the two world wars abandoned part-way through, or called off entirely? The Coronavirus isn't quite as serious as a world war (yet...), but both are circumstances beyond the control of football authorities.

Carlisle

Established Member
Can't imagine them re-starting on 3 April in reality. Things will be worse then, not better. I think we've just seen the end of the season.
Me neither, & wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Euro 2020 postponed until next year, giving the clubs this summer to sort things out

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Me neither, & wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Euro 2020 postponed until next year, giving the clubs this summer to sort things out
I agree that the Euros will probably end up being postponed, especially as the format for this year is spread across several nations rather than just one. Doing so might even make reorganising the European schedule to allow for the Qatar World Cup in 2022 go smoother.

Iskra

Established Member
If the season ends early, hopefully any points deductions for FFP breaches (Derby and Sheffield Yesterday being the clubs involved, I think) will carry over to next season, as they do if applied to already-relegated clubs.

Out of curiosity, were the seasons immediately preceding the two world wars abandoned part-way through, or called off entirely? The Coronavirus isn't quite as serious as a world war (yet...), but both are circumstances beyond the control of football authorities.

Both world wars started at the start of the football season. But they stopped professional sport from memory (of studying history, not being there)!

Glenmutchkin

A different approach is going to be needed to relegation.

I suggest that any club that plays "Hi Ho Silver Lining" in the pre match build up on a regular basis is relegated one division. The penalty for Harry J & The All Stars "Liquidator" needs to be at least two divisions.

Butts

Veteran Member
Suprised no one mentioned Liverpools exit from the Champions League to Athletico Madrid the other night.

They really threw it away, after the FA Cup defeat by Chelsea it's just as well they are so far ahead in The League.

Seem to be running out of steam !!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Suprised no one mentioned Liverpools exit from the Champions League to Athletico Madrid the other night.

They really threw it away, after the FA Cup defeat by Chelsea it's just as well they are so far ahead in The League.

It does seem strange, but it is only a short time ago that a young person who supports a different club wrote a heartfelt letter to Mr Klopp asking if Liverpool could lose a few games to "give other teams a chance" and Liverpool have not done well since that occurred.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yep. I’ll mention it Butts...
It took a massive amount of work by the team to overturn the 1-0 from the away leg, and by ten minutes into the first half of extra time I thought Liverpool had done the job.
Unfortunately that wasn’t so, and Adrian wasn’t able to step up to the plate in that high stress scenario.
I got a puncture on the way home from watching the game that night, and I felt that it probably summed up the evening quite well (especially considering what’s happened since).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The mid-week meeting of representatives of the national English step 5-6 leagues (which the Northern Premier League are part) issued a statement that all this weekend's matches will go ahead and that no matches will be cancelled, postponed or played behind closed doors.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The mid-week meeting of representatives of the national English step 5-6 leagues (which the Northern Premier League are part) issued a statement that all this weekend's matches will go ahead and that no matches will be cancelled, postponed or played behind closed doors.
There's the possibility of bumper attendances at a fair few non-league games this weekend, though that could be a blessing and a curse if it causes the lower league governing bodies to follow their senior counterparts and call off games.

I'm going to be contributing in a small way by going to Bradford against Curzon Ashton, I'm on the bus there as I type. I'm also toying with idea of leaving on 85mins and getting a bus over to Halifax for their game which kicks off at 1730!

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Athletic’s attendance today was up about 200 I would say (approx 1000-1200).

Dover Priory has a regular exodus to Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, etc most Saturdays. There’s even a coach that leaves for Kent-based Leeds fans.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Two games in a day for me:
First of all Bradford (Park Avenue) against Curzon Ashton, in which Bradford were the better side but were unable to force an equaliser once they went behind, and conceded a second breakaway goal as I was leaving the ground to catch my bus to Halifax. Regulars I spoke to seemed to think the crowd was around 40% bigger than expected, and there were a fair few Bradford City scarves and hats on display, along with a group of Manchester City supporters who had come over from the United States and got a minibus to the Horsfall Athletics Ground instead of the Emptyhad!

Second was Halifax against Ebbsfleet, where football league "tourists" such as myself seemed to make up for the decline caused by the game being on BT Sport. Unfortunately the Shaymen conceded a rather sloppy goal midway through the first half and were unable to force an equaliser... so my day sees me with an aggregate 0-3 defeat!

If the stoppage of "elite" football continues, I'd like to offer my services as a "jinx" to any non-league sides who'd like their rivals to drop points... or I'll even stay away from a game if you really need the win!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Bradford Park Avenue produced one of the most underused international strikers in football history, the great Kevin Hector.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bradford Park Avenue produced one of the most underused international strikers in football history, the great Kevin Hector.
Signed from Bradford for Derby County by a certain Brian Clough, wasn't he?

Seeing as we'll probably all be on lockdown shortly, how about a bit of trivia... are there any other examples of teams with parentheses in their name?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Signed from Bradford for Derby County by a certain Brian Clough, wasn't he?

Seeing as we'll probably all be on lockdown shortly, how about a bit of trivia... are there any other examples of teams with parentheses in their name?

Brought on as an 85th-odd minute sub v Poland when we failed to qualify for the 1974 World Cup. Almost got the goal that would have done the trick.

Derby weren't sexy enough for Alf Ramsey to pick him in the starting 11.