Football

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MidnightFlyer, 9 Apr 2011.

1. matacaster

matacaster Member

On the bright side, If amateur sport cancelled on Saturdays, A&E will have more capacity!

2. arbeia

arbeia Member

3274 for South Shields v FC United of Manchester, in Northern Premier League. A cracking game.

3. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Regarding how the season should end, Heart of Midlothian FC would consider taking legal action should if the league positions stand as they are with no other matches played.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/51914718

As it presently stands, Hearts are currently propping up the top flight division in Scotland four points from safety. Should if they be relegated, this would have serious implications regarding sporting integrity.

This is a tricky situation across all divisions across the UK. Perhaps there could be no promotion or relegation this season strictly as a one off should no further matches are played?

PS I am typing this message on a mobile phone and am unable to copy and paste the full article. I hope to have broadband up and running in the new flat soon.

4. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Veteran Member

UEFA's recent decision to postpone Euro 2020 for a year will hopefully allow this season's games to be completed in the summer:- that is one of the reasons cited for that decision.

It may mean the following season will have to be shortened in some way, scrapping the League Cup and settling all FA Cup ties without replays would go some way towards this.

If the season restarts it will run beyond June 30, so there'll be issues of players' contracts and loan deals expiring, with games still outstanding.

We've never before had to contemplate scrapping a season so far in- 1939 with only a few games played and a war looming was one thing- but with the season mostly completed (and a situation which, without wishing to seem complacent, is far from World War II even in the worst-case scenario) is another altogether.

5. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Apparently they are already looking at this with short-term and weekly contracts discussed.

6. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Veteran Member

That's good to know... if the season does resume I think my team would struggle without our loans: our first and second choice 'keepers are both loans, and Emile Smith-Rowe has been a revelation since arriving from Arsenal.

7. Drogba11CFC

Drogba11CFC Member

Last edited: 18 Mar 2020
  8. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Kevin Hector scored 44 league goals for Bradford in 1965/66, a total which has not been surpassed in any of the top four divisions in the 55 years since (although others like Terry Bly of Peterborough scored more in earlier years).

Tim Ward signed Hector for second division Derby, not Brian Clough. Bradford were top of D4 the day he departed. By the end of the season we were second last and finished bottom for the next three seasons. We were then voted out of the league - Oxford Utd had joined the FL a few years earlier so they thought they ought to have Cambridge Utd as well. The transfer fee was a pitiful £32,000 or thereabouts.

There can be few cases in football history of a club's demise being so obviously linked to the knock down sale of one key player.

9. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Ashford Town (Middlesex) and the gloriously named Cray Valley (Paper Mills), beaten FA Vase finalists in 2019.

10. Jamesrob637

Jamesrob637 Established Member

No matches until the end of April now, but don't know whether this affects anything below League Two.

11. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Wow! I didn't know anything of Hector's background. I must have seen him when I was at Derby in 69-71, as I went to a few matches. He was adored by the Derby fans. I even went out with girl a few times who was his family's babysitter.
    Shame about one-time great teams like Bradford (PA, I assume?)

12. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

13. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

The BetVictor Northern Premier League is in the league groupings immediately below the three National Leagues and South Shields, currently top, 12 points clear will be devastated by this news.

In the same league, my favoured non-league side, Hyde United currently lie in 10th position......P33 .. W12 D7 L14 .. 43 pts .. Level goal difference.

14. Cletus

South Shields chairman has already tweeted about taking legal action.

15. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

Interesting to see if that’ll swing anything up here with the SFA. Brora Rangers have been declared Highland League champions, after a vote with Highland League member clubs. They were about 10 points ahead at the top with around 3-4 games in hand as well so unlikely to have been caught.
    No other football has been decided though.

16. Cletus

17. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

And local to me Tynecastle FC in the East of Scotland 1st Division Conference B (though not yet confirmed the season is finishing)
    • played 23
    • won 21
    • drawn 2
    • lost 0
    • scored 125
    • conceded 22
    • 65 points
    20 points clear of 2nd place