• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Macclesfield Town officially liquidated, which iropnically puts them in a better position than Bury FC; as in
- the haven't a league position this season, but I expect a fan's group to organise an AFC, secure the ground, maintain it and hopefuly play there next season. Clearly the liquidators "own" the ground but I don't think it would cost that much to buy/rent and if a club's liquidated, the new Co. won't be paying the debts? Welcome to the NWCL!!

Will a phoenix club start that low? The precedent (Halifax, Chester, Darlington) seems to be three steps lower than where the original club was. Halifax restarted in the Northern Premier League Division One (step 8) having gone bust in the national league (step 5).

If that’s the case, that’s where Macc would end up, if there was a space which may be the stumbling block as it’s happened much later in the off season than is often the case.

scotrail158713

Established Member
wish they'd play extra time but happy at the result nonetheless
Do you think so? I think with the fixture calendar as congested as it is, removing extra time from competitions seems a logical step to take.
(Although my first choice would be cancel the competition for a season - but money means that doesn’t happen)

Howardh

Established Member
Will a phoenix club start that low? The precedent (Halifax, Chester, Darlington) seems to be three steps lower than where the original club was. Halifax restarted in the Northern Premier League Division One (step 8) having gone bust in the national league (step 5).

If that’s the case, that’s where Macc would end up, if there was a space which may be the stumbling block as it’s happened much later in the off season than is often the case.
Yes. because they haven't been "thrown out" of the EFL, they can't be guaranteed a higher place, so as it stands today they should, like the Isle of Man and Bury, be admitted to the NWCL next season.
However there's a huge chance clubs above them will sadly also go to the wall, and there was league restructuring planned for this season (now postponed till next) so in effect they may well end up in a higher league.But as it stands, NWCL division 2 (south) is probably where they would start.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League....Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... FC United of Manchester 2

This Tuesday night fixture saw an attendance of 600 and was the second of the " league big boys" to visit Ewen Fields so very early in the season. Hyde took a 1-0 lead after 19 minutes, but F C United equalised two minutes later. Hyde pressed well and took a 2-1 lead four minutes before half time but not altogether unexpectedly, F C United again equalised near the end of the second half.

MY CONTACT SOURCE HAS THE FIRST TWO GOALS IN THE WRONG ORDER....F C UNITED SCORED FIRST THEN HYDE EQUALISED

Last edited:

wireforever

It appears Wigan have been bought by a Spanish based buyer and creditors are to be paid so avoiding another points deduction by the EFL after the 'fit and proper' test is passed makes you wonder if the EFL should undergo a 'fit and proper test' themselves

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League

Hyde United 2 ... FC United of Manchester 2

This Tuesday night fixture saw an attendance of 600 and was the second of the " league big boys" to visit Ewen Fields so very early in the season. Hyde took a 1-0 lead after 19 minutes, but F C United equalised two minutes later. Hyde pressed well and took a 2-1 lead four minutes before half time but not altogether unexpectedly, F C United again equalised half way through the second half.
Ahem! Were you actually at this match? :rolleyes:

Visitors FC United scored first, after 9 mins (R. Linney), the Hyde equaliser coming after 19 mins (L. Tongue) and the home side then edging in front after 41 mins (P. Lane). The FC United equaliser for 2-2 came on 80 minutes (M. Fowler).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Ahem! Were you actually at this match? :rolleyes:

Visitors FC United scored first, after 9 mins (R. Linney), the Hyde equaliser coming after 19 mins (L. Tongue) and the home side then edging in front after 41 mins (P. Lane). The FC United equaliser for 2-2 came on 80 minutes (M. Fowler).

Sadly, my contact source (normally reliable) has indeed proved false this time and offers a sincere apology to both of us. We still live in the Cheshire East area, having relocated at the start of this year, both of us now in our mid to late 70s, with my wife now in her second year of Vascular Dementia. The current Covid-19 situation Tameside where Hyde United are situated is quite worrying at the time of writing, so discretion logically decrees it to be the better part of valour.

Last edited:

Karl

On Moderation
I'm stilled pi55ed off that another of our clubs has hit the dust! Communities rely on their clubs. A town lives on their club. Bring 'em back!

Howardh

Established Member
NWCL (2); Bury AFC, 2 - 1 down at home to Streeton with about four minutes left, send the 300 max capacity wild by winning 3 - 2!!!

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds United 1 Manchester City 1

An entertaining game and a fair result. I am happy with a point.

SteveM70

Established Member
They just never recovered from Martial's sending-off.

It’s more than that. It wasn’t a simple matter of being outplayed by a team with an extra man, it was a collective throwing in of the towel. Yet again Pogba shows his true colours - great when things are good, but a coward when the chips are down.

Solskjaer doing himself no favours afterwards falling back on the “it’s my second language I can’t find the words” trick. He seems to know loads of words when things are going well

And I think it’s hilarious

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
4-1 to Villa. Not even HT yet. This season is cracking to watch so far!

Liverpool are playing Adrian in goal, though, which is basically giving the other side a 2 goal head start;)

They just never recovered from Martial's sending-off.

That sending off was a joke, if it was red for Martial it should have been red for Lamela too. I don't know why Spurs keep getting away with such basic cheating, but they do. Lamela in particular is a dirty little cheat and the FA do nothing about him.

That said, Man Utd would have lost 11 v 11 or 10 v 10.

Last edited:

youngiecj

Boston 4 AFC Mansfield 2. Nice win in the cup, looking good going forward. Incidentally our new ground is not ready so we had to play at the Northolme Gainsborough for the first few matches.

SteveM70

Established Member
That sending off was a joke, if it was red for Martial it should have been red for Lamela too. I don't know why Spurs keep getting away with such basic cheating, but they do. Lamela in particular is a dirty little cheat and the FA do nothing about him.

Lamela was shameful, but the problem is the law - contact with the face is a red, contact elsewhere it depends on the force.

Howardh

Established Member
7-2 to Villa full time - now that's bloody impressive.
I'm not a betting man - what were the odds on that and the winning if someone placed a fiver?? On Talksport yesterday they said someone had bet on Brighton beating Everton 7 - 2 and they described the odds, which I've forgotten!!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Does anybody know what odds the bookies were offering on Liverpool losing 7-2 and Manchester United losing 6-1 last Sunday? I would imagine a "double" coming in at something like 250,000 to 1 or longer (assuming both scores were say 500/1). Would the bookies have paid out £2.5 million or more on a £10 bet - or do they have small print limiting their losses?

youngiecj

Leamington 0 Boston 4. Cracking start to the season. Im not enjoying watching it by stream I have to say!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Stafford Rangers 0 ... Hyde United 2

After two consecutive home draws against the fancied sides, Hyde looked to improve their points record in this the fourth match of this season, away to Stafford Rangers. Hyde scored in the 35th minute and scored their second goal right at the end of the match.

Last edited: