• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington v Gateshead called off after a Darlo players tests positive for Covid19. I cant imagine there will be many clubs at our level or below that avoid this situation in the cming weeks and months.

DFC:
One of our first team players has earlier this week tested positive for Covid, and so therefore in accordance with the relevant PHE and National League protocols, he and the rest of the squad have now gone into self-isolation.

This therefore means that Wednesday night’s home game against Gateshead is postponed, and we await league advice on Saturday’s home game against Hereford and the away game at Leamington on Tuesday 8th December.

This may explain some of the selection choices that led to our horror show on Sunday as a couple of players were missing from the match day squad without explanation or that could be star clutching ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Thus I agree with. As much as Rugby (particularly the posh code with two too many players ;) ) is about as interesting as an audio-only presentation on the history of the University Boat Race, it's remarkable to see players built like brick outhouses being put in their place by a referee who's about one third their size. Compared with the histrionics seen from top level footballers it's a much more civilised sport (until the game restarts, at least).

But a few questionable decisions don't "ruin the game", they're just part and parcel of the game, by nature of how the rules are open to interpretation. Before VAR there were still plenty of decisions that were obviously wrong with the benefit of TV replays- those decisions weren't "ruining the game" either, they were part of it. Implemented correctly, VAR should minimise those incorrect calls, but won't ever remove marginal calls completely. One thing I have noticed both from fans and even so-called experts seems to be an expectation that VAR would be a magic bullet for all contentious decisions. Such an expectation is always doomed to failure.

The question should be, how do we implement the technology without turning every decision into a controversy? When VAR was first mooted, I favoured an approach similar to elite Tennis, where players/teams have a limited number of appeals per half. The captain or head coach of a team can request that the VAR panel have a look at a contentious call, if the original decision is upheld the challenge is lost.

Before VAR those obviously wrong decisions were ruining the game in the same way they do with VAR. I disagree that VAR was meant to be a magic bullet but I do think we were sold it that way so when it inevitably didn't work they could blame it instead of the inherent issues within the game - most notably the dishonesty of players. Only time will let the technology be implemented without turning every decision into a controversy but that's not going to happen whilst pundits have a vested interest in the controversy and will generate it if they have to.

Speaking of Rugby I'd like to see their clock system implemented where the clock is physically stopped in certain circumstances and restarted as needed instead of added time which, more often than not, seems to be pulled out of the official's backside

Established Member
Although I didn't watch last night's match, I'm absolutely delighted for Curtis Jones, Neco Williams and Caoimhin Kelleher, who were all instrumental in achieving the victory which confirmed our qualification to the knockout stages. With this in mind, I fully expect Klopp will rest as many senior players as he can for our final group stage game.

As for Gini Wijnaldum, give the man whatever contract he wants. It's absolutely imperative we keep him for as long as we can.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...Speaking of Rugby I'd like to see their clock system implemented where the clock is physically stopped in certain circumstances and restarted as needed instead of added time which, more often than not, seems to be pulled out of the official's backside
Didn’t they once work it out that if “on the clock” rugby style, a half would only be about 35 mins?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although I didn't watch last night's match, I'm absolutely delighted for Curtis Jones, Neco Williams and Caoimhin Kelleher, who were all instrumental in achieving the victory which confirmed our qualification to the knockout stages. With this in mind, I fully expect Klopp will rest as many senior players as he can for our final group stage game.

As for Gini Wijnaldum, give the man whatever contract he wants. It's absolutely imperative we keep him for as long as we can.
It was a really exciting end to end game. The 1-0 score line doesn’t tell the full story, and the young lads (especially Kelleher) were outstanding.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington now in isolation until 14th December due to COVID19

DFC:
The club has today been instructed by the National League that under the PHE Covid regulations, we must remain in isolation until Monday 14th December.

This therefore means that our games against Hereford (Saturday 5th December at home), Leamington (Tuesday 8th December, away) and Farsley Celtic (Saturday 12th December, away) are all postponed, and will be re-arranged for a later date.

These games are in addition to the Gateshead game, which was due to be played tonight 2nd December.

SS4

Established Member
Didn’t they once work it out that if “on the clock” rugby style, a half would only be about 35 mins?

I don't recall seeing anything to that effect but I wouldn't be surprised - there is an insane amount of timewasting in football and I'm specifically excluding when teams waste time in play (i.e. by passing it around the team with no intention of progressing up the field)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't recall seeing anything to that effect but I wouldn't be surprised - there is an insane amount of timewasting in football and I'm specifically excluding when teams waste time in play (i.e. by passing it around the team with no intention of progressing up the field)
I remember somewhere or other they counted up all the time the ball was out of play for throw ins, goal kicks and corners and even that took around 5 -10 mins per half...

I just Googled and found this BBC article:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Another poor show from MUFC tonight, three days after they turned round a potential defeat at Southampton into a win. They're more on and off than a light bulb right now. OGS' managerial skills are surely worthy of some serious questions.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wish I'd watched it now! :lol:
I drove out to my friends house on Dartmoor to watch it on his massive TV, feeling quite apprehensive during the 40 minute drive, but it was really enthralling and I was glad I made the effort.

SteveM70

Established Member

The ball is actually in play about 50-60% of the time in top level football. The system in rugby Union is better, but not perfect - they need to stop the clock for reset scrums

Out of curiosity I’ve just timed six successive 5 minute periods of the Arsenal game. Overall the ball was in play for 14:38 out of 30:00 so just under 50%.

There was a goal, and two lots of substitutions so the chances are the ref will add on about 2:30 for that. Even taking that into account the in play percentage doesn’t get much over 50%

The lowlight was a 103 second period where the ball was in play for 9 seconds - a couple of corners which were hardly taken hurriedly

Last edited:

youngiecj

Well in true Boston fashion we didn’t turn up for our first match at our new ground. Lost 2-0 to Chorley. New ground will never replace York Street but an incredible achievement of being able to play in it, given what the club has been through.

SteveM70

Established Member
Halifax were winless in 8 before this week and seemed unable to locate the other team’s goal, let alone score. Four days later and we’ve won 5-2 and 5-1. Football eh?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Halifax were winless in 8 before this week and seemed unable to locate the other team’s goal, let alone score. Four days later and we’ve won 5-2 and 5-1. Football eh?
I imagine both you and @Old Yard Dog will be relishing the prospect of a league derby against Bradford City FC next season, given the situation that club finds itself in...

Established Member
A fantastic performance from Liverpool from start to finish last night, and having a limited number of fans back in the stadium after so long was truly special.

It was also good to see VAR being used correctly, with the referee actually using the pitch-side screen before rightfully overturning his decision to award Wolves a penalty.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Having seen Hyde United being "match-less" under the terms of the latest lockdown, I knew that they had qualified for the FA Trophy First Round Proper. I have just found out that their away match is scheduled for Tuesday, 8th December and their opponents are ..... Marine o_O
Match was not played as the pitch was waterlogged.

In the draw for the Second Round of the FA Trophy, the winners of this match will be at home to Southport.

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
United out of the Champions League, nearly came back but you can't rely on coming back from 3-0 down every game.

Maguire is shocking. As an Arsenal fan I can't really laugh at United as we are even worse somehow.

youngiecj

Blyth 0 Boston 1. First win in 3 games, much needed. Slowly moving up the table , now we are catching up in matches.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
United out of the Champions League, nearly came back but you can't rely on coming back from 3-0 down every game.

Maguire is shocking. As an Arsenal fan I can't really laugh at United as we are even worse somehow.

Second Half United was a short honeymoon then.

youngiecj

Boston 0 Chester 0, first point at the new stadium. Shame we didn’t beat them, absolutely detest there management team. Onwards and upwards!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
They’ll obviously need to stay up if they want to be playing us next season :lol:

I agree - despite the improvement this season, Park Avenue are still more likely to be relegated to the NPL than promoted to National League. But nobody seems to know for certain how many teams will be going down. There were plans to increase NLN & NLS from 22 clubs to 24 which could lead to reprieves - and the demise of Bury & Macclesfield has also left gaps. But it is just about possible that Macc or Steve Dale's Bury could be offered places in one of the National League divisions next season.

And of course it is also possible that the NLN and NPL seasons may not be completed given the Covid problems the likes of Darlington are having.

Established Member
Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has passed away, he was 73.

He won five major trophies with the club, including an FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup treble in the 2000-01 season.

RIP Gerard. YNWA.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has passed away, he was 73.

He won five major trophies with the club, including an FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup treble in the 2000-01 season.

RIP Gerard. YNWA.
He was knocked sideways by the heart attack he had in 2001 and he seemed to age ten years in just a few months that year.
RIP Gerard.