• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A good bank holiday period play-off final matches this weekend for Lancashire-based football clubs, as Morecambe beat Newport County 1-0 in extra time to achieve promotion to League One, the highest level they have ever played in.

They will take the place vacated in that division by Blackpool who won promotion in their play-off final to the Championship.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
A good bank holiday period play-off final matches this weekend for Lancashire-based football clubs, as Morecambe beat Newport County 1-0 in extra time to achieve promotion to League One, the highest level they have ever played in.

They will take the place vacated in that division by Blackpool who won promotion in their play-off final to the Championship.

Two shocking decisions, both in Morecambe’s favour, from a premier league referee. This is what var was invented for

Loppylugs

Two shocking decisions, both in Morecambe’s favour, from a premier league referee. This is what var was invented for
Fully agree. Don't get me wrong, am pleased to see Morecambe making progress but denied Newport a cert. pen and gave Morecambe a very, very dubious one.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Two battles of the minnows among today's International Friendlies - FIFA rankings in brackets:
Andorra (158) v Gibraltar (195)
Faroe Island (113) v Lichtenstein (186)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Over weekend, a number of the lesser-known Caribbean islands participated in World Cup qualifying matches and three in particular suffered heavy defeats:-

Turks and Caicos Islands 0 ... Haiti 10
Anguilla 0 ... Panama 13
Guatemala 10 ...St Vincent and the Grenadines 0

REVUpminster

@DarloRich maybe, maybe not, but you can just imagine the grin on Jeff Stelling's face after today's 1-0 win. :p
Perhaps an arm wrestling contest between Helen Chamberlain and Jeff Stelling as a pre-match contest.

Be a good game though Torquay haven't played well since January. The National league with all the old league sides is better than League two.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I know @DarloRich will be over the moon that Hartlepool have reached the National League play-off final against Torquay next Sunday!!

@DarloRich maybe, maybe not, but you can just imagine the grin on Jeff Stelling's face after today's 1-0 win. :p

I am not in the slightest bit bothered what the monkey murderers are up to. They are also owned by the clown who tried to kill my club. They will regret getting him involved no matter how their next game goes. They will regret it sooner if they lose.

Loppylugs

I am not in the slightest bit bothered what the monkey murderers are up to. They are also owned by the clown who tried to kill my club. They will regret getting him involved no matter how their next game goes. They will regret it sooner if they lose.
So this is the geezer called Raj Singh I assume. Can you enlighten us more on his involvement with you please ?

Iskra

Established Member

Seems a good idea but I think I’d prefer to see how our second season goes before starting any work.

wireforever

Benitez to Everton? .Think I would be more worried if Moshiri asked the Liverpool board/FSG to name their price for Mo and he called their bluff and said yes no problem I will pay it

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Bradford have just had their appeal against their £6,000 fine for the non-fulfilment of fixtures during the Covid 19 crisis rejected by the FA. 10 other NLN & NLS clubs also lost their appeals while three others had their fines reduced.

The background to this is that grant funding from the government via the National Lottery ended in December, forcing clubs to play on with no income through the gate. Clubs were thus asked to vote on "null and voiding" the season in February but were given 28 days to cast their votes. A number deliberately delayed sending in their ballot papers for tactical reasons, meaning the result could not be declared early. Several clubs decided not to fulfil fixtures pending the result of the vote. The NLN & NLS eventually decided to end their seasons.

Bradford have thus been fined for the non-fulfilment of what turned out to be non-existent fixtures. And, to add insult to injury, they were charged an extra £1,200 costs for daring to appeal.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bradford have just had their appeal against their £6,000 fine for the non-fulfilment of fixtures during the Covid 19 crisis rejected by the FA. 10 other NLN & NLS clubs also lost their appeals while three others had their fines reduced.

The background to this is that grant funding from the government via the National Lottery ended in December, forcing clubs to play on with no income through the gate. Clubs were thus asked to vote on "null and voiding" the season in February but were given 28 days to cast their votes. A number deliberately delayed sending in their ballot papers for tactical reasons, meaning the result could not be declared early. Several clubs decided not to fulfil fixtures pending the result of the vote. The NLN & NLS eventually decided to end their seasons.

Bradford have thus been fined for the non-fulfilment of what turned out to be non-existent fixtures. And, to add insult to injury, they were charged an extra £1,200 costs for daring to appeal.

We got charged £1600 for daring to appeal + £2000 fine and a suspended 2 points deduction.

Never going to be anything else with the clowns running the show.

So this is the geezer called Raj Singh I assume. Can you enlighten us more on his involvement with you please ?
Anything I have to say about Mr Singh is libellous. We are were we are now ( and where we have been) because of him. It is my club now and people like him are no part of it.

Darandio

Established Member
And after watching the F1 I switched over to catch the end of the National League playoff final, Hartlepool 1-0 after 94 minutes and surely back in the football league. But no, the Torquay keeper has equalised and it's extra time!

REVUpminster

Hartlepool beat Torquay on penalties.

The match summed up Torquay's problems. Before Christmas they were outscoring all before them but the goals dried up after Christmas.

The goalkeeper scored Torquay's goal, then saved the first two penalties only for the forwards to miss, not even having to be saved.

SteveM70

Established Member
Hartlepool beat Torquay on penalties.

The match summed up Torquay's problems. Before Christmas they were outscoring all before them but the goals dried up after Christmas.

The goalkeeper scored Torquay's goal, then saved the first two penalties only for the forwards to miss, not even having to be saved.

Bit harsh on the Pools keeper, he saved the last one. Absolute mad game though

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
(SAD TRIVIA) QPR will be delighted with the result as they remain the only club in the Premier and Football Leagues with a Q in their name. They are thus the only club with a unique letter. Nobody has a J or a Z.

(In the olden days, saddos had to include the Scottish League and the answer to the old chestnut was St Johnstone. Swindon Town remain the only answer to the "Mackerel" old chestnut and are in little danger of sharing their crown with Histon any time soon.)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Monkey murderers? which team?

Extract of story...

Historic UK said:
Legend has it that during the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century, a shipwrecked monkey was hanged by the people of Hartlepool, believing him to be a French spy!
To this day, people from Hartlepool are affectionately known as ‘monkey hangers’.

REVUpminster

You've never heard the story of the monkey on the beach in Hartlepool?
What sort of school did you go to.....................................
It was approved by the government.

PS I remember it's name now. Hang 'em High

Last edited:

Loppylugs

'Pools mascot is a large monkey called H'Angus. The guy who was inside the costume originally, one Stuart Drummond, campaigned for the Mayorship of Hartlepool by promising every schoolchild in the area a free banana every day at school. He was duly elected, but reneged on his promise and was duly booted out!