• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Apparently the Manchester United hierarchy keep calling Ole in for a meeting without tea and biscuits, but every time he enters the boardroom they think he's a kid who won a competition, and give him a stadium tour instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Apropos Solksjaer, it irks me a little that he’s constantly referred to as a “legend” and a “great player”. The legend bit I understand because of his winner in the 1999 champions league final, but was he a great player? If he’d been a great player, he’d not have been a substitute most of the time
Yes he had the reputation of being a bit of a super sub.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes he had the reputation of being a bit of a super sub.
126 goals in 366 appearances in all first team games for Manchester United (of which 150 were as substitute).

Solskjaer is seventh on United's all time goalscorers list behind George Best, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Denis Law and Wayne Rooney.

PaulMc7

Established Member
German DFB Cup

Borussia Monchengladbach 5 ... Bayern Munich 0

Rather a shock result in tonight's match, as that was the score after only 57 minutes. Bayern Munich had fielded quite a strong side for this cup match.
If I remember correctly from a stat mentioned by commentary on their game against Benfica it also means it's the first game out of 85 or 86 they've not scored in.

The last competitive game they played where they didn't score was the Supercup final against Borussia Dortmund in 2019.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Time for the brackets on the vidiprinter :lol:

FA Cup 1st round

FC Halifax Town 7 (seven) Maidenhead 4

(I didn’t go because Maidenhead play horrid niggly football, and besides the weather was vile)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good win for Darlo today - won 3-1 away at Kettering. I have been to only 2 games this season and we won both! This is irregular!

Also today I saw the fattest man I have ever seen on a football field. He emerged from the Kettering bench and I thought, honestly, a man had won a raffle prize of appearing in a game. I believe his name was Kyle Perry. He was MASSIVE. There is a picture here:http://www.ketteringtownfc.com/news/tom-unwin ( at the bottom of the page). He has increased in girth since this picture was taken.

He was, I believe, the definition of "a big unit"!

PS Kyle Perry although massive and playing for Kettering is about 20 quizzzilion times better at football than me but his physique gives hope to all of us that there could still be career in football for us!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Warnock has left Boro by mutual consent
Wilder in is the street word.
Was that Colin's last position before his retirement?
Expected to be so - contract ran until end of this season

Colin, Colin Wan................

Farke sacked too, slightly more controversial after a win today
Norwich are fairly poor this season. Lost their best player and haven't recovered. I am not sure anyone else would have many more points.

gnolife

Established Member
Good win for Darlo today - won 3-1 away at Kettering. I have been to only 2 games this season and we won both! This is irregular!

Also today I saw the fattest man I have ever seen on a football field. He emerged from the Kettering bench and I thought, honestly, a man had won a raffle prize of appearing in a game. I believe his name was Kyle Perry. He was MASSIVE. There is a picture here:http://www.ketteringtownfc.com/news/tom-unwin ( at the bottom of the page). He has increased in girth since this picture was taken.

He was, I believe, the definition of "a big unit"!

PS Kyle Perry although massive and playing for Kettering is about 20 quizzzion times better at football than me but his physique gives hope to all of us that there could still be career in football for us!
Bloody hell - I remember Perry at Alty. He was always on the large side, but the amount of weight he's put on is astonishing. He was somewhat erratic in how well he'd play, but he got a crucial assist on 120+1 minutes in the Conference North play off final against Guiseley in 2014.

SteveM70

Established Member
Ha. When Halifax were down in the glue leagues they played Rossenfale United and one of their players was a very overweight lookalike of Butch Dingle out of Emmerdale. He was rubbish, even by the standards of the eighth division

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bloody hell - I remember Perry at Alty. He was always on the large side, but the amount of weight he's put on is astonishing. He was somewhat erratic in how well he'd play, but he got a crucial assist on 120+1 minutes in the Conference North play off final against Guiseley in 2014.

Ha. When Halifax were down in the glue leagues they played Rossenfale United and one of their players was a very overweight lookalike of Butch Dingle out of Emmerdale. He was rubbish, even by the standards of the eighth division

So thats what they mean by a "big presence in the box".
Poor bloke - he is now being laughed at by a bunch of trainspotters! HAHAHAHAHA!

He managed to foul one of the Darlo players and one of the crowd shouted: Put him down Perry, he isn't a kebab.

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 5...Bristol Manor Farm 1 (Griggs 12, Mlambo 77, Feeney 83, 90+7, Smith 89; Ford 64, Nielsen s/o 71)

Winchester City recorded a massive win over a high-flying Manor Farm side whose charm school graduate was still in the dugout. It took 12 minutes for the scoring to be opened as Ollie Griggs converted a cross from Ollie Balmer to give City the lead. Visiting keeper Ben Johns then got away with a punch on the returning Warren Bentley before Owen Howe was booked for an elbow on City keeper Charlie Philpott. In the second half Josh Ford headed in an equaliser but with 20 minutes left Jayden Nielsen was sent off for grabbing Ollie Griggs around the neck (and tried to offer out a couple of our fans) before Simba Mlambo ran onto a Jamie Barron pass to restore the lead. Mlambo turned provider for Craig Feeney in the 83rd minute before Max Smith hit a superb volley to make it four and Feeney dribbled around the keeper in stoppage time to complete the rout.

Other Results:

Barnstaple Town 0...Sholing 3

Cirencester Town 4...Paulton Rovers 3

Mangotsfield United 3...Bideford 1

Melksham Town 3...Lymington Town 2

League Table:
1. Frome Town 11/+22/29
------------------------------------
2. AFC Totton 11/+24/24
3. Cirencester Town 11/+18/24
4. Sholing 12/+10/23
5. Winchester City 13/+18/22
6. Bristol Manor Farm 15/-2/22
7. Highworth Town 11/+8/21
15. Slimbridge 13/-15/13
16. Bideford 12/-12/11
17. Cinderford Town 12/-8/10
18. Mangotsfield Utd 13/-24/7
19. Barnstaple Town 14/-57/0

Loppylugs

Great match in the women's FA Cup today.

Crawley Wasps Ladies v London Bees.

Could there be a sting in the tail at the end?

Wasps stung the bees 3 - 2

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Great match in the women's FA Cup today.

Crawley Wasps Ladies v London Bees.

Could there be a sting in the tail at the end?

Wasps stung the bees 3 - 2
There were a few eye-catching scorelines in that competition:
Hashtag United Women 17 - 0 Southend United Community Ladies

Huddersfield Town Ladies 20 - 0 Sir Tom Finney Women

On the subject of the lasses' game, I wish they'd all agree on which modifier to use, if they're going to use one at all... but then if you ask fifty women for their opinion you'll get fifty-two answers!*

(*- this last bit isn't meant to be taken seriously, I could make the same joke about men after all)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There were a few eye-catching scorelines in that competition:
Hashtag United Women 17 - 0 Southend United Community Ladies

Huddersfield Town Ladies 20 - 0 Sir Tom Finney Women
There were also a couple of other scores in that round with the winning side reaching double figures.....

Portsmouth Women 13 ... Dorking Wanderers Ladies 0

Queens Park Rangers Women 11 ... Bromley Ladies 0

......and a good cup upset in the men's FA Cup replay, after extra-time.....

Stockport County 5 ... Bolton Wanderers 3

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Bradford City lose 3-0 at Exeter in the FA Cup but get to play the game again as Exeter brought on a 6th sub (presumably unnoticed by the referee)

Bradford (Park Avenue) lost 6-2 at Gateshead but do not get to play the game again even though Gateshead brought on a sub who was not named on the team sheet.

Why the difference? Why did the officials allow Exeter and Gateshead to bring on illegal subs? Why have the FA been so lenient - they normally come down on such transgressions like a ton of bricks?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
BBC Radio 5 Live reporting/confirming in their 10.30 a.m. news bulletin that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has now left his post as manager of Manchester United football club, following yesterday's 4-1 Premier League defeat at Watford and other poor results.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
BBC Radio 5 Live reporting/confirming in their 10.30 a.m. news bulletin that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has now left his post as manager of Manchester United football club, following yesterday's 4-1 Premier League defeat at Watford and other poor results.
In other news, biologists have discovered that creatures of the family Ursidae prefer to defecate among tree cover... ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Damn. :lol: