• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Bradford City lose 3-0 at Exeter in the FA Cup but get to play the game again as Exeter brought on a 6th sub (presumably unnoticed by the referee)
As City’s chief exec said. If it was Liverpool (also insert any other top Prem team I guess) and not Bradford on the receiving end would it be replayed in Exeter with City footing their own costs? No, Exeter would be kicked out of the cup.

youngiecj

Boston 2 Darlington 0. Game over after 5 minutes. 11 unbeaten at home, hopefully sort the away form out now!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Manchester Senior Cup ... Quarter Final

West Didsbury & Chorlton 2 ... Hyde United 5

Hyde only led 1-0 at half-time and West Didsbury & Chorlton equalised ten minutes after the restart, but between the 60th and the 69th minute, Hyde scored four goals, with a late consolation goal from West Didsbury & Chorlton.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Southport (P) v Darlington (P)

Game called off due to storm damage to the ground .................. just as I left Coventry station. ffs.

baz962

Established Member
Just watching a program from the 90's . Loads of stuff on football. Just watched a clip from the early nineties and Donald trump doing the draw for the rumbeloes cup , with saint and Grieves. I never knew that.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Just watching a program from the 90's . Loads of stuff on football. Just watched a clip from the early nineties and Donald trump doing the draw for the rumbeloes cup , with saint and Grieves. I never knew that.
Oh yes, i never watched the Apprentice so when i heard he was running for President i thought "The Cup Draw Guy!"

baz962

Established Member
Oh yes, i never watched the Apprentice so when i heard he was running for President i thought "The Cup Draw Guy!"
Well I meant I didn't know about the actual draw. I knew who Trump was , I went up Trump tower in 2001 and I remember him from appearing in fresh Prince of Bel air in 94

High Dyke

Established Member
In the all the managerial go around Carlton Palmer recently resigned his position at Grantham Town. With the Gingerbreads still propping up the NPL, and little signs of a miracle, there are those that feel he was out of his depth at that level. Assistant managers given the nod to take on the role. However, that was short-lived as former Boston United manager Dennis Greene is appointed a week later.

Grantham Town FC - Managerial Appointment https://www.granthamtownfc.com/news/managerial-appointment-2665210.html

On Moderation
Messi wins Ballon d’Or.

Lewandowski deserved it this year. Massively under-rewarded footballer.
Worse, Lewandowski also deserved it last year, but there was no award due to the global pandemic. That he hasn't won it this year utterly demeans the whole award: yes, I know Messi scored lots of goals and Argentina won the Copa America, but Lewandowski has been the stand-out player.

youngiecj

In the all the managerial go around Carlton Palmer recently resigned his position at Grantham Town. With the Gingerbreads still propping up the NPL, and little signs of a miracle, there are those that feel he was out of his depth at that level. Assistant managers given the nod to take on the role. However, that was short-lived as former Boston United manager Dennis Greene is appointed a week later.

Grantham Town FC - Managerial Appointment https://www.granthamtownfc.com/news/managerial-appointment-2665210.html
Unlucky, a horrible individual who albeit nearly had a bit of success at Boston, a very chequered history off the field let’s say.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Keith Curle is now the latest of an ever-growing list of managers to have been sacked by Oldham Athletic. Yet when Jimmy Frizzell left and Joe Royle was appointed, that was the only managerial change in twenty-five years. Hard now to believe that Oldham Athletic were one of founder member teams of the Premier League.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Another piece of sad news - John Sillett has passed away. For Coventry City fans, he will be best remembered for the 1987 FA Cup win against Spurs.

Neptune

Established Member
Another piece of sad news - John Sillett has passed away. For Coventry City fans, he will be best remembered for the 1987 FA Cup win against Spurs.
Very sad, so soon after George Curtis too.

1987 is without doubt the best cup final I’ve ever seen with the two brilliant headed goals from Clive Allen & Keith Houchen, Gary Mabbutt’s unfortunate own goal, it was the late great Ray Clemence’s last game and who can forget Trevor Peake picking up Clive Allen all in good fun. Of course the legend Brian ‘Killer’ Kilcline lifting the cup and the sheer joy of those fantastically charismatic joint managers.

I’m not a Cov fan but have family there so it felt like my team won on the day and lest we forget, that was a great Spurs team.

perryman

Ray Kennedy has passed away - I honestly thought he died years ago, as a result of Parkinson's. I think this he was in the Liverpool side at their absolute peak, and being a huge part of that. Very sad that he had to sell his medals and effectively lived on charity. As a Tottenham fan I vaguely remember his goal winning our brethen the title in 1971 at White Hart Lane, although I was too young to be there (thankfully). I think he was hugely underrated - he won only 17 international caps. Converted from striker to midfield by Paisley, I believe, which was a masterstroke.

JRT

There were a few eye-catching scorelines in that competition:
Hashtag United Women 17 - 0 Southend United Community Ladies

Huddersfield Town Ladies 20 - 0 Sir Tom Finney Women

On the subject of the lasses' game, I wish they'd all agree on which modifier to use, if they're going to use one at all... but then if you ask fifty women for their opinion you'll get fifty-two answers!*

(*- this last bit isn't meant to be taken seriously, I could make the same joke about men after all)
Big scores on the international stage as well, Republic of Ireland win 11–0 v. Georgia, England beat Latvia 20–0.

All the WSL teams are all Women.
Round our way (Yorkshire) there are similar sounding teams that are using Women or Ladies in the team name, so at least that is different, it would be harder to distinguish the teams if they both used the same modifier.

Brighouse Athletic Ladies (Brighouse Town Women)
Bradford Park Avenue Ladies (Bradford City Women)
Farsley Celtic Junior Ladies (Farsley Celtic Women)
Barnsley Ladies (Barnsley Women)

roversfan2001

Established Member
After our horror show to start the month, we picked up 10 points from the following 4 games and somehow sit in 5th. The quality of the Championship does seem really poor this season, we've not played particularly well. We always collapse in the new year but if we keep hold of our South American wonderkid then who knows what can happen... :D

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
BBC Radio 5 Live reporting/confirming in their 10.30 a.m. news bulletin that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has now left his post as manager of Manchester United football club, following yesterday's 4-1 Premier League defeat at Watford and other poor results.

Having just seen this post, this has got me thinking about those players who played under Alex Ferguson who went on to become managers, with some that I can think of regarding silverware won or not in their managerial careers with mixed results.

East Stirlingshire (first side Alex managed):
I cannot think of anyone who later went into management. Perhaps some of the Scotland resident forum members could fill in some details?

St Mirren (the only side that Ferguson got the boot from in 1978):
Tony Fitzpatrick who won the Scottish Cup in 1987 went on to manage St Mirren, but won no silverware.

Aberdeen (winners of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1983):
Doug Rougvie (Highland League, Highland League Cup, Aberdeenshire Cup, and Qualifying Cup North all with Huntley between 1996 and 1997)
Alex McLeish (Second tier title with Hibernian (1999), Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup, top flight title with the original 1872-2012 incarnation of Glasgow Rangers between 2002-2006, and the League Cup with Birmingham City in 2011)
Neale Cooper (Basement division title with Ross County)
Gordon Strachan (Top flight division title, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup with Celtic 2006-2009)
Willie Miller (managed Aberdeen in the 1990s and won no silverware)
Eric Black (managed Motherwell, Coventry City, caretaker at various sides and won no silverware)
Mark McGhee (Third tier titles with Reading and Millwall in 1994 and 2001 respectively)

Manchester United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (top flight title and Norwegian Football Cup with Molde between 2011-2013)
Paul Ince (first black manager in the top division with Blackburn Rovers - won no silverware)
Mark Hughes (managed Stoke City, Southampton, and various sides - won no silverware)
Paul Scholes (managed his hometown team Oldham Athletic - won no silverware)
Ryan Giggs (caretaker after David Moyes left, also manager of Wales - won no silverware)
Gordon Strachan - see Aberdeen entry above

There may be others at Man Utd who I might have missed, bearing in mind Alex Ferguson managed them from 1986 to 2013.

Neptune

Established Member
Having just seen this post, this has got me thinking about those players who played under Alex Ferguson who went on to become managers, with some that I can think of regarding silverware won or not in their managerial careers with mixed results.

East Stirlingshire (first side Alex managed):
I cannot think of anyone who later went into management. Perhaps some of the Scotland resident forum members could fill in some details?

St Mirren (the only side that Ferguson got the boot from in 1978):
Tony Fitzpatrick who won the Scottish Cup in 1987 went on to manage St Mirren, but won no silverware.

Aberdeen (winners of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1983):
Doug Rougvie (Highland League, Highland League Cup, Aberdeenshire Cup, and Qualifying Cup North all with Huntley between 1996 and 1997)
Alex McLeish (Second tier title with Hibernian (1999), Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup, top flight title with the original 1872-2012 incarnation of Glasgow Rangers between 2002-2006, and the League Cup with Birmingham City in 2011)
Neale Cooper (Basement division title with Ross County)
Gordon Strachan (Top flight division title, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup with Celtic 2006-2009)
Willie Miller (managed Aberdeen in the 1990s and won no silverware)
Eric Black (managed Motherwell, Coventry City, caretaker at various sides and won no silverware)
Mark McGhee (Third tier titles with Reading and Millwall in 1994 and 2001 respectively)

Manchester United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (top flight title and Norwegian Football Cup with Molde between 2011-2013)
Paul Ince (first black manager in the top division with Blackburn Rovers - won no silverware)
Mark Hughes (managed Stoke City, Southampton, and various sides - won no silverware)
Paul Scholes (managed his hometown team Oldham Athletic - won no silverware)
Ryan Giggs (caretaker after David Moyes left, also manager of Wales - won no silverware)
Gordon Strachan - see Aberdeen entry above

There may be others at Man Utd who I might have missed, bearing in mind Alex Ferguson managed them from 1986 to 2013.
Steve Bruce is probably the most high profile manager who played under Fergie at Man U.

Just a note but Paul Ince wasn’t the first black manager in the prem. I believe that was Ruud Gullit with Chelsea in 1996.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Jim Meakin was a player at East Stirlingshire when Alex Ferguson was the manager at the Firs Park club in 1974 and was infamously suspended by Ferguson for taking an extended holiday in Blackpool after the season had already started.

Meakin was later manager at near neighbours Stenhousemuir FC in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Also, Bobby McCulley, who was a player at East Stirlingshire for ten seasons in the 1970s/early 1980s and subsequently was manager at East Stirlingshire in 1993.

As regards Manchester United, you could probably add Laurent Blanc as a former MUFC player under Ferguson who has since gone on to be a manager in his own right, at/with Bordeaux, France and Paris Saint Germain, amongst others. Four French titles as manager, I believe.

Henning Berg has also managed a number of clubs, including (briefly in 2012) Blackburn Rovers and others on Continental Europe.

Bryan Robson (manager at Middlesbrough).

Darren Ferguson (Alex's son) (manager at Peterborough United).

Quite a few others, including Gary Neville (Valencia Seville), Phil Neville (England Women), Wayne Rooney (Derby County) and Roy Keane (Sunderland).

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Also:

Mark Robins (aka the man whose goal saved Fergie's job) - managed Huddersfield, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Barnsley and now at Coventry

Chris Casper - managed Bury

Simon Davies has managed Anderlecht

Chris Turner managed a few lower league clubs (Orient are one - he was joint manager with the foul-mouthed lunatic John Sitton in the fantastic "Club For A Fiver" documentary - well worth a watch)

Mike Phelan

I think Clayton Blackmore has managed in Wales

Michael Appleton manages Lincoln

Teddy Sheringham was at Stevenage but got sacked

Jordi Cruyff has managed in China

Jaap Stam was at Reading

So basically there's bloody loads of them!

Neptune

Established Member
Chris Turner managed a few lower league clubs (Orient are one - he was joint manager with the foul-mouthed lunatic John Sitton in the fantastic "Club For A Fiver" documentary - well worth a watch)

…. and you can bring your lunch if ya like!

SteveM70

Established Member
…. and you can bring your lunch if ya like!

I think that's the pre-watershed version :lol: That scene was truly stunning - sacking the club captain at half time, abusing pretty much all the rest of the players, and offering one of them out for a fight before telling him he could bring a mate and go one against two. I bet the TV people couldn't believe their luck