• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
12 on target according to the BBC site (admittedly it's hard to read). West Brom had 4. No question Liverpool had the best of the play.

BBC live feed said 28 shots on goal
1756:
Liverpool racked up 28 shots on goal at Anfield today. A more telling stat is that they have converted that sort of dominance into less home wins than Blackburn this season.

Mike Ashley learnt the hard way not to make manager appointments based on what the fans want, i think this is surely dawning on the Liverpool owners too.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Mike ashley... all must seem like a stroke of genius now?

Yep but one word for why i dont feel sorry for liverpool. surez.

1-1 draw for Leeds this weekend, up at 5am to get to Cardiff for the 12.30 KO. Decent game, both teams deserved their points.

Can't wait for next monday's Manchester derby, just hope Man City can do it.

Liverpool oh dear, multiple chances for all their strikers and then Odemwingie has one chance and scores it.

Hope Blackburn and Bolton come down from Prem and hope Sheff Wed go up from League 1 because really want to go to Hillsbrough again, fantastic place.

MOT.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Any particular reason for that?

Not Bolton, but i hope blackburn go down.
My reasoning is, they will get what they deserve for having turned a very well run club into a shambles that players no longer want to play for. The venkys wanted to milk the premier league money and now theyve got whats coming to them. Sacking alladyce while in 9th. Kean then took them towards relegation and only just saved them and this year he has done far worse.
Half the time blackburn show no desire to do anything. They are my reasons :)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It must have been one of their better days when they travelled to Old Trafford and beat Manchester United 3-2 on their own turf a few weeks ago, which could now be a deciding factor in the destination of the Premiership champions place.

Very rare, i follow them closely s my best/house mate is a big blackburn fan.
And yes it could be, along with the wigan and everton scores they messed up. They cant loose to city, end of.

Ivo

Established Member
If City win next week, and go on to win the title, I have to confess I will be disappointed (not because United lost, but because City won). However, I would have to point to the two derbies and say that they made the difference. Not including the 6-1, United are effectively six points up; if it stays that way, but City win next time, it will be the derby matches that will have made all the difference.

Speaking of which, I believe that the Prem has never been won on Goal Difference (it has been won on Goals Scored however). Should City win, and then both sides win their remaining games, it will be decided on Goal Difference - and it would take a brave (or more likely stupid) man to put money on United. They would have to overturn a difference of at least eight in order to win.

Commiserations Wolves.

You can't say it hasn't been coming. They started well - but have been awful since then. They had something like 10 points in mid-September; they have 23 in late April. Some statistics can sometimes lie in football but points aren't one of them (except where deductions are involved) - and Wolves just haven't been good enough this year. With McCarthy they might have had a chance allowing for the kind of manager he is and the experience he has in saving clubs - very few others would have given them any hope at all.

Last edited:

Robinson

If City win next week, and go on to win the title, I have to confess I will be disappointed (not because United lost, but because City won). However, I would have to point to the two derbies and say that they made the difference. Not including the 6-1, United are effectively six points up; if it stays that way, but City win next time, it will be the derby matches that will have made all the difference.

Speaking of which, I believe that the Prem has never been won on Goal Difference (it has been won on Goals Scored however). Should City win, and then both sides win their remaining games, it will be decided on Goal Difference - and it would take a brave (or more likely stupid) man to put money on United. They would have to overturn a difference of at least eight in order to win.

On the other hand, City still have to go to Newcastle and win, whereas Man U will have Swansea and Sunderland (who have far less to play for). Having said that, I hope Man U don't win it, otherwise I'm in for some serious wind-ups...

Badger

What's the lowest Liverpool can finish in the table? Using the predictor I placed them 14th, wondering if anyone can do better. Simply as a musing, of course.

I think that had the season started on Jan 1st, Liverpool would be languishing at the foot of the Premiership.

You are right with 14th because Villa can't catch them even if they won all their remaining games, but everyone from Stoke upwards can.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I think that had the season started on Jan 1st, Liverpool would be languishing at the foot of the Premiership.

You are right with 14th because Villa can't catch them even if they won all their remaining games, but everyone from Stoke upwards can.

Yep i did that this morning too.

But liverppol while still 8th are on the brink of dropping like a rock, theyve just reached the top of the middle pack of teams after dropping from the middle of the top pack. Which means if results dont go their way they could drop 2 or 3 places a game for rest of season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yeah well now ive got to see if we can follow you up.....

Sheffield Wednesday's next two matches are away to Brentford (who can be difficult if they decide to play to their strengths)... then at home to Wycombe Wanderers.

How do you feel about these two matches ? Oldham Athletic recently helped out your chances by beating Sheffield United 3-2 in the away fixture....then conveniently forgot the essentials of attacking football when Sheffield Wednesday took their chances to record a 3-0 win over them, when we visited your ground.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I feel the next match is the crucial one. Stevenage have beaten us and charlton at our home grounds and i think with UTD still being shakey from the Evans incident we have the upper hand maybe...

if we beat brentford i think UTD may drop points to stevenage and then its ours to play for, so you never know ive got everything crossed. Us and the UTD teams are certainly setting up a tense finish!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
McCoist has waived his wage for the rest of the season from what I can gather, that's £1,000,000~ already.

Did you read the latest news that Rangers have been given a 12-month ban by the Scottish F A from signing any new players (and a fine of £160,000) and that they have given Craig Whyte a ban from football for life (plus a fine of £200,000).

Both parties have been given three days in which to lodge any apppeals.

EM2

Established Member
The battle for the second promotion place from the Championship goes down to the last match, after West Ham came from behind to beat Leicester 2-1.
Southampton, with the best home record in the division, face Coventry, who have the worst away defensive record in the whole of the 92 clubs.
Meanwhile, West Ham play Hull City, who have the best away defence in the division.
West Ham must win, and hope Southampton lose to be sure of promotion, however if Saints draw and West Ham win heavily, that could be enough.

ACE1888

Did you read the latest news that Rangers have been given a 12-month ban by the Scottish F A from signing any new players (and a fine of £160,000) and that they have given Craig Whyte a ban from football for life (plus a fine of £200,000).

Kyle Lafferty suspended for 2 weeks for 'breach of discipline' too by the Club

Hope Southampton win and make it back to the 'Promised Land' of the Premier League on Saturday, nothing against West Ham, but the Saints are my Mrs' team :D

Butts

Veteran Member
Who do we favour for the playoffs ?

Blackpool or West Ham / Southampton

What about Cardiff always the bridesmaid and never the bride :p - having been there or thereabouts for years it must have been galling for them when Swansea came from nowhere to go up last year.

Ivo

Established Member
Yep i did that this morning too.

But liverppol while still 8th are on the brink of dropping like a rock, theyve just reached the top of the middle pack of teams after dropping from the middle of the top pack. Which means if results dont go their way they could drop 2 or 3 places a game for rest of season.

I have them for 14th as well, losing out to Sunderland on GD. But with 8th to 14th separated by only 3 points, that seems a bit over-the-top! It does however mean that, GD aside (and then only by a few), Everton are almost closer to 5th than they are to Liverpool.

See the attachment below for the full prediction. For the record, I put the Manchester derby as 1-2, sealing the title - and revenge - for United.

Who do we favour for the playoffs ?

Blackpool or West Ham / Southampton

What about Cardiff always the bridesmaid and never the bride :p - having been there or thereabouts for years it must have been galling for them when Swansea came from nowhere to go up last year.

Come on Cardiff :p

I say that every year :(

Attachments

• PL Prediction, 24-04.png
    PL Prediction, 24-04.png
    12 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

blanco

i would imagine the sanctions on the club will be lessened via the appeal, but i doubt craig whyte will even bother to appeal his own punishment going by his comments saying it will have no bearing on his life and wishing them good luck in collecting the money from him, how the hell could a shyster like him ever get this far into rangers without someone knowing what was going on.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I expect Soton to hold out for second spot. As for play-off winners, I hope Blackpool come up (though I expect West Ham). Having said that I wouldn't mind anyone but Cardiff!

David

Established Member
And if Southampton do win promotion, Nigel Adkins will have probably the best managerial record around, as it will be his 4th promotion in 6 seasons.

Not bad for a physio! :P