• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Birmingham City have gone into recievership

10 point penalty?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not enough width in the side, not enough pace and as a result we play at a much lower tempo. Seeing Falcao coming off was the turning point, as when Young came on we could double up on the wings - Shaw + Young on the left, Valencia and di Maria on the right.

Make no mistake, it was still disappointing for 70 minutes, and the issues that I raised in a previous longer post quite a few pages back remain, but at least we're through.

I should also say that the 'need for a new creative midfielder' is nothing new by any stretch of the imagination, and was certainly there in Fergie's last few years.

Falco looks lost, I don't think Van Gaal has worked out his system for Man Utd yet but whatever tactics he plays Falcao doesn't seem to fit

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
I am not one for watching any Manchester United match normally, be it live or recorded highlights, but because my son from the Poynton area came with his family came to visit, he wanted all of us to watch the match with him.

In the first-half, which was boring in the extreme, the number of goal-scoring opportunities created by a top-four Premiership side was very low in number against a team two divisions below them which makes me wonder if van Gaal does not have enough creative midfielders to make such scoring options available, Hazard at Chelsea is a young player who fulfils such a role very well and even when Moyes was in charge, the midfield area was still a problem at Manchester United.

There was an article on bbc sport a week or so ago, from an interview with Van Gaal who was very open his team was imbalanced and he was in desperate need of a creative midfielder. He gave this as the reason he had been forced to play Rooney in previous games in midfield as he felt Rooney was the best creative midfielder he had.

I don't see them keeping Falcao if they have any sense.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The fact is Man Utd had to cheat to beat League One Preston- none of their three goals should have stood, and that offside decision should see the linesman sacked from top flight games.

Utterly shameful. But I think they're going to win it, they've had a very easy draw so far, have a poor Arsenal at home, and have been exceedingly jammy all season.

We will lose to Reading, mark my words. We've not had an FA Cup semi-final since we won it in 1911, and I think the occasion will get to us as we won't be underdogs.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The penalty is for administration, receivership is an entirely different thing.

I'd imagine that the likelihood of Birmingham City receiving a ten point deduction as a result of breaching Football League rules has just increased significantly. Our recent performances suggest that having one of our rivals hampered by such a penalty might be needed, come May.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The fact is Man Utd had to cheat to beat League One Preston

Once what you say about "cheating" is proved, will this see the match referee who must have been compliant in such a matter summoned to attend a disciplinary meeting of his association and the club charged by the FA, whose cup competition this is, with the expected punishment.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Birmingham are not insolvent, and the penalty is for insolvency. It'll be interesting if the Football League do decide to apply a penalty, as I doubt it will go unchallenged, especially as the purpose is to get rid of Yeung.

It's got more in common with what Liverpool did to get rid of Hicks and Gillett than insolvency.

As for Man Utd, the devil will be going to work on a sledge long before the FA do something about Rooney's and Fellaini's cheating.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Rooney's dive was shocking yesterday, made worse by Woy and that complete wassock Phil Neville trying to justify it. Neville even said at one point it could have broken his legs, a comment on par with Sir Alex saying RvP could have been killed at Swansea a few years back in terms of absolute gibberish; at the very worst he's have had a bit of a sore knee for the rest of the night. Kevin Kilbane was the only voice of sanity in there.

richw

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that the likelihood of Birmingham City receiving a ten point deduction as a result of breaching Football League rules has just increased significantly. Our recent performances suggest that having one of our rivals hampered by such a penalty might be needed, come May.

The rules state a ten point deduction for insolvent based activities.
Birmingham City are not insolvent. There doesn't appear to be a punishment for receivership in the laws.
In fact the football club is very much solvent.

The fact is Man Utd had to cheat to beat League One Preston- none of their three goals should have stood, and that offside decision should see the linesman sacked from top flight games.

Utterly shameful. But I think they're going to win it, they've had a very easy draw so far, have a poor Arsenal at home, and have been exceedingly jammy all season.

We will lose to Reading, mark my words. We've not had an FA Cup semi-final since we won it in 1911, and I think the occasion will get to us as we won't be underdogs.

Yeah but does it surprise you? It's being going on for years...

Fair play to Grayson after the match, refusing to condemn the ref and showing total class. Perhaps a certain Mr Van Gaal could learn a little after his tirade about Cambridge a couple of weeks ago....

And you are correct, the decisions were disgraceful.

CC 72100

Established Member
Didn't think it would be long until I saw that on here. Not condoning the dive, but the first goal was given as Rooney was adjudged not have interfered with play - even Martin Keown (who seems to hate United, understandable given his background) suggested so.

Of course, one could also argue that Kevin Davies was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Antman

Established Member
Rooney's dive was shocking yesterday, made worse by Woy and that complete wassock Phil Neville trying to justify it. Neville even said at one point it could have broken his legs, a comment on par with Sir Alex saying RvP could have been killed at Swansea a few years back in terms of absolute gibberish; at the very worst he's have had a bit of a sore knee for the rest of the night. Kevin Kilbane was the only voice of sanity in there.

I totally agree and gentleman Roy Hodgson is far too diplomatic to be a pundit.........imagine him calling Rooney a cheat and saying he was being stripped of the England captaincy<(

CC 72100

Established Member
I totally agree and gentleman Roy Hodgson is far too diplomatic to be a pundit.........imagine him calling Rooney a cheat and saying he was being stripped of the England captaincy<(

Well he's not going to is he? With all due respect, I don't know what the point of Roy Hodgson as a pundit served - too many vested interests to say something potentially 'undiplomatic' in his current role as England manager.

We want pundits to be as a neutral as possible - so why have somebody who is the second boss of some of those playing?!

fowler9

Established Member
Well he's not going to is he? With all due respect, I don't know what the point of Roy Hodgson as a pundit served - too many vested interests to say something potentially 'undiplomatic' in his current role as England manager.

We want pundits to be as a neutral as possible - so why have somebody who is the second boss of some of those playing?!

A bloody awful boss at that.

Lampshade

Established Member
Rooney landed on his feet before throwing himself to the ground.

Looks like a potato and went down like a sack of them.

Didn't think it would be long until I saw that on here. Not condoning the dive, but the first goal was given as Rooney was adjudged not have interfered with play - even Martin Keown (who seems to hate United, understandable given his background) suggested so.

Of course, one could also argue that Kevin Davies was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Well it has taken nearly 24 hours to be mentioned ;)

To be fair to Rooney, in the 85 minutes before the pen he didn't interfere with play much at all so i'll let him off for the offside goal

I totally agree on Kevin Davis, should have been off without doubt. He knew it as well.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Well, Martin Keown showed far more knowledge of the rules of the game in this situation.

"Never let the lack of understanding of the laws of the game interfere with your own personal view of how you would have written to rule book" seems to be quite a regular feature of some other ex-professional footballers but far more so in the case of "pundits". It took a good few minutes and a couple of action replays to convince the commentator that Rooney had NOT touched the ball on this occasion...:roll:

Darandio

Established Member
It took a good few minutes and a couple of action replays to convince the commentator that Rooney had NOT touched the ball on this occasion...:roll:

It didn't take a good few minutes to establish that, they established that fact quite quickly.

What they couldn't quickly establish was whether Rooney was blocking the sight line of the goalkeeper, waiting for a relevant camera angle to do so.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It didn't take a good few minutes to establish that, they established that fact quite quickly.

What they couldn't quickly establish was whether Rooney was blocking the sight line of the goalkeeper, waiting for a relevant camera angle to do so.

Your charitable forgiveness of the iniquities of TV football commentators does indeed do you a very great deal of credit..:D

David

Established Member
Having just seen the (very limited) highlights on the BBC website, I've only got a couple of comments to make ....

For the equaliser, I've seen those givenn as offside, it all depends on how the referee interprets the 'interfering with play' rule.

The penalty was a stonewall yellow card for Rooney though, it was just as blatant dive as Mark Viduka's against Scunthorpe United in the FA Cup third round while Venables was still the Leeds manager! (Sorry balne-wanderer :P)

Antman

Established Member
Brentford have confirmed that Mark Warburton will be leaving at the end of the season, surely one of the craziest decisions ever?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Conference South threw up a remarkable scoreline this evening...
Bath City 7...Farnborough 4

Farnborough took an early lead, but Bath City scored on a regular basis and by the 80th minute, they had established a 7-1 lead.

Not wishing to miss out on the fun, Farnborough then scored three times in the last 10 minutes to make the final score 7-4.
Having just seen the (very limited) highlights on the BBC website, I've only got a couple of comments to make ....

For the equaliser, I've seen those given as offside, it all depends on how the referee interprets the 'interfering with play' rule.

The penalty was a stonewall yellow card for Rooney though, it was just as blatant dive as Mark Viduka's against Scunthorpe United in the FA Cup third round while Venables was still the Leeds manager! (Sorry balne-wanderer :P)

Surely the wording of the rule that governs the section on "interfering with play" must be very clear, for if it is not so, which can cause doubt in the mind of a referee, then it should be worded in such a way to obviate matters of unclarity. Has this particular rule ever been brought forward to the rules committee for revision?

I read what you give as your opinion on the matter of the events leading to the giving of the penalty but did not the manager of Preston North End also give his personal opinion on the matter? Again, we have the referee and the linesman to adjudicate upon the matter in hand in real-time action where an immediate adjudication is needed without recourse to the viewing and reviewing of action highlights that are made available to the armchair pundits.
Brentford have confirmed that Mark Warburton will be leaving at the end of the season, surely one of the craziest decisions ever?

It seems a total clearout of the top three is envisaged, as assistant manager David Weir and the sporting director Frank McParland are also to leave at the same time.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Absolutely insane. It just gives them months of uncertainty, with players not knowing what's going on or whether they'll still be wanted. If you want him out, do it now, don't just leave him as a lame duck, because that's the only guaranteed way to fail.

CC 72100

Established Member
Disappointing behaviour in Paris last night from what appears to be a group of Chelsea fans.

Film shows Chelsea fans in Paris Metro incident

shows Chelsea fans pushing the man and chanting "We're racist we're racist"

Footage has emerged which appears to show Chelsea football fans preventing a black man from boarding a Paris train.

In the amateur video, the man repeatedly tries to get on the crowded Metro carriage but is pushed off.

A group of people can be heard singing: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."

The incident took place before a Champions League match in the city. Chelsea FC said it would help police, and any fans involved faced a ban.

The footage was obtained by the Guardian, which reported that the incident happened at Richelieu-Drouot station in the centre of the French capital on Tuesday evening.

One voice is heard singing: "Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea."

'Culture shock'

British expatriate Paul Nolan, who filmed the incident on his phone, told the BBC it was an "ugly scene" and "very aggressive".

Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme he said he could hear mentions of World War Two as well as the racist chanting.

He said he and the people around him all felt quite threatened by the scene. "I think there was a certain amount of pack mentality," he said.

Mr Nolan told the Guardian that the man trying to board the train was "completely shocked" when he was pushed off.

"I don't think he realised who they were," he said.

"There definitely was a culture shock. I heard a couple of French guys saying: 'I can't believe this. It's insane'."

The Chelsea spokesman said the fans' actions had "no place in football or society".

"Should evidence point to the involvement of Chelsea season ticket holders or members of the club, we will take the strongest possible action against them including banning orders," he added.

Thousands of Chelsea fans were in the French capital for a match against Paris St-Germain, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31514168

You've been drawn at home against easily the poorest team still in the cup...
Charmed, I'm sure - Derby probably thought the same thing... :lol:

Best possible draw for us, nothing to do with leagues, league positions or form, and a good diversion from a relegation battle...

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm a Chelsea fan and that really is appalling behaviour, I hope those responsible are identified and banned.

Unfortunately every club has a faction of people whose behaviour is appalling - in a similar vein if it was Man Utd in Europe (unlikely at the moment ;) ) then I'd be exactly the same in my response.

Events like this just don't change the negative perception of British fans abroad :(

For the equaliser, I've seen those givenn as offside, it all depends on how the referee interprets the 'interfering with play' rule.

Gosh that's a blast from the past, I don't think it was Viduka that went down though I think it was Eirik Bakke, Viduka then scored the pen.

It was never a penalty though.

ExRes

Established Member
Unfortunately every club has a faction of people whose behaviour is appalling - in a similar vein if it was Man Utd in Europe (unlikely at the moment ;) ) then I'd be exactly the same in my response.

Events like this just don't change the negative perception of British fans abroad :(

Agreed, but I think those British football racists are a very small number nowadays, especially when you read of the blatant racism prevalent on the wider European stage, just look at Italy, Russia and the Balkans for instance when it comes to monkey/banana behaviour