• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

gnolife

Established Member
Hartlepool's new manager is from the Welsh League. Why did their board think that would be a good idea?

Am I right in saying that theyve got TNS's old management team? If that's the case, they've probably taken a look at all the list of all the silverware that they've bought and judged the management on that.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the start Altrincham have made to this season, opening with a complete shambles of a 3-0 defeat to Stafford Rangers. The defence had all the watertightness of a colander, and the lone striker looked like he wouldn't have found his way to the penalty area even if he had been given a map to it. We seem to be showing all the signs of doing a Hyde and getting three successive relegations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
Well, where to start? ;)

Huddersfield Town were the first team to win the League Title 3 seasons in succession in the 1920s. A feat which only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched and to this day nobody has beaten.

We were last in the top division in 1972, being relegated after going winless since the turn of that year. So it is our first season in the marketing farce that is the Premier League, but not the first time we've been the top team in the land!

Hmmmm, quite interesting reading a teams history rising and sinking through the ranks of the divisions, thanks for the info! :)

(Barnsley, as I understand, have stayed in the 2nd division for the longest)

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Were there many there? Would have gone up but couldn't book it off work.

All credit to York, this was the best performance I have seen from a visiting team at our ground since we moved there in 1996. Very difficult for us to complete with full-time professionals when they are on song.

96tommy

All credit to York, this was the best performance I have seen from a visiting team at our ground since we moved there in 1996. Very difficult for us to complete with full-time professionals when they are on song.

Loved the away day and a nice unique little ground. Teh beer tent BPA organised definitely made York fans day :D Noticed you got a good result away at Tamworth and have got some good players in your squad including a few former York players in Wroe, Boyes and Oli Johnson. I think the wind helped us first half and we took advantage of that and a suspect goalkeeper and defence (who improved 2nd half). Good luck for the rest of the season (bar your match at Bootham Crescent!). I was surprised we didn't play our long thrower Muggleton from the start instead of bring him on towards the end. He can throw the ball from the halfway line into the box with no wind, can't imagine how long it would be if he had the wind in his favour.

Last edited:

96tommy

Brackley have a good team and have gone about their business very quietly over the last couple of seasons and tend to be a little under the radar. They finished 7th last season 3 points behind us in the last play off spot.

I will take a draw on Tuesday v a professional team away from home.

How are Scott Fenwick and Fewster settling in at Darlo. Fenwick never really got minutes for us but scored some important goals including the one that got us to Wembley. Fewster was class when he played for us in League 2, I thought he would be like another Boro loanee who played for us, Ben Gibson and make it to the top. I can only imkagine it must be fitness/injury worries that has amde him drop this low. I can see a draw occuring on Tuesday, since Mills has took back over most of our worst performances have come at Bootham Crescent. Going 2-2 myself, hopefully Jon Parkin is back fit.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some funny business with Spennymoor not making it to Boston for the game yesterday. Seems their team bus broke down but offers were made to get them to the match:

Boston Standard: “We offered to send mini buses!” Murray frustrated as Boston United v Spennymoor postponed an hour before kick off

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/spo...r-postponed-an-hour-before-kick-off-1-8100111

How are Scott Fenwick and Fewster settling in at Darlo. Fenwick never really got minutes for us but scored some important goals including the one that got us to Wembley. Fewster was class when he played for us in League 2, I thought he would be like another Boro loanee who played for us, Ben Gibson and make it to the top. I can only imkagine it must be fitness/injury worries that has amde him drop this low. I can see a draw occuring on Tuesday, since Mills has took back over most of our worst performances have come at Bootham Crescent. Going 2-2 myself, hopefully Jon Parkin is back fit.

I am not sure we actually have Fewster yet! He was in the team photo but there has been no confirmation of his actually signing on. Fenwick hasn't had much game time yet but looks good "by all accounts"

If York are on song they should beat us. They are professional, we are not. We have blokes who are accountants, teachers, work night shifts in factories, work on the docks and fix boilers for a living playing football on the side. York have people who are ( alleged ;) )footballers and BIG Jon Parkin. Like i said a draw is a good result. I only wish the game had been yesterday and not Tuesday night as i cant do mid week games :(

Last edited:

RyanB

Anyone at Ibrox yesterday?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was one of the lucky 1000 or so who had a ticket for the Hibs end to witness another 2-3, becoming a habit this. GIRUY

It's becoming hard to pick a favourite victory at Ibrox tbh, just so many of them now.

Also note they're none too happy at being gestured toward by Lennon after all the abuse (much of it Secatrian in nature), death threats and bullets through the post that he has received over the years.

So much for "No one likes us, we don't care"

Sore losers, the lot of em, obviously hurting from 21.05.16

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Hmmmm, quite interesting reading a teams history rising and sinking through the ranks of the divisions, thanks for the info! :)

(Barnsley, as I understand, have stayed in the 2nd division for the longest)

Bradford fell from the old First Division (1921) to the NPL (1970) and eventual bankrupcy (1974).

We had to start again in the West Riding County Amateur League Division 3 (1988), which was 12 levels lower in the football pyramid at the time. Has any club played in a wider range of leagues? Indeed between 1974 and 1988, all we had was a team in the lower levels of the Bradford Sunday Alliance.

However we are 9-8 up against Manchester United in Football League head to heads with 3 drawn. Not many teams can say that.

Darandio

Established Member
Also note they're none too happy at being gestured toward by Lennon after all the abuse (much of it Secatrian in nature), death threats and bullets through the post that he has received over the years.

Given the police are now involved and making enquiries, I am finding it mildly amusing that they even have the nerve to claim being upset.

96tommy

I am not sure we actually have Fewster yet! He was in the team photo but there has been no confirmation of his actually signing on. Fenwick hasn't had much game time yet but looks good "by all accounts"

If York are on song they should beat us. They are professional, we are not. We have blokes who are accountants, teachers, work night shifts in factories, work on the docks and fix boilers for a living playing football on the side. York have people who are ( alleged ;) )footballers and BIG Jon Parkin. Like i said a draw is a good result. I only wish the game had been yesterday and not Tuesday night as i cant do mid week games :(

Didn't realise he was not with you yet, will definitely be a handy signing if he does join eventually. The popular opinion on the York forums is a score draw. I'm going for 2-2 myself, we usually buckle under the pressure at home of late and the defeat vs Telford last week was one poor performance. Looks like we will have Rankine as our target man tomorrow night, Big JP still out and awaiting scan results

RyanB

Given the police are now involved and making enquiries, I am finding it mildly amusing that they even have the nerve to claim being upset.

Most other Scottish Football fans are having a right good laugh at the "statement" that was put out by one of the biggest suporter's groups.

It was discussed very briefly tonight on BBC Radio Scotland's "Sportsound" show, with the current Ayr Utd Manager, Ian McCall, calling it "so pathetic it doesn't even merit airtime".

Scottish Football Manager's Association also backing Lennon on this matter, saying that if fans want to hurl abuse at opposing team's staff members they need to grow a pair when said staff members decide to turn the tables

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Didn't realise he was not with you yet, will definitely be a handy signing if he does join eventually. The popular opinion on the York forums is a score draw. I'm going for 2-2 myself, we usually buckle under the pressure at home of late and the defeat vs Telford last week was one poor performance. Looks like we will have Rankine as our target man tomorrow night, Big JP still out and awaiting scan results

we cant defend so a score draw seems most likely - big test for us versus a proper full time team and a good test for city v ( hopefully) one of the better semi pro teams in the league. Could define where both of us are in terms of performance.

I will be listening to Darlo fans radio tonight

96tommy

we cant defend so a score draw seems most likely - big test for us versus a proper full time team and a good test for city v ( hopefully) one of the better semi pro teams in the league. Could define where both of us are in terms of performance.

I will be listening to Darlo fans radio tonight

I want whatever GK is on. Been stood behind him first half and he's made numerous world class saves.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
0-0 ft. A good point against a professional side. Really under the cosh in the first half, perhaps should have gone in behind, injury forced us to go 4-5-1 for the second and that negated York. Darlo had chances late on. Nearly 4000 in and 1041 from Darlo. Our toughest game since falling out of the league apparently.

I will take that - a result against a proper full time side. 4 games played. 10 points. 4th in the league. A good start.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Halifax 1-2 Dover Athletic

Home team score their 1st goal of the season in the 92nd minute, but we get winner even later :)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Derby County 1 Preston North End 0

Bloody hell I go on holiday overseas and The Rams get their first win of the season! My two sisters tell me that we were better than Saturday but if we'd not been awarded the penalty we could have played till midnight and not score. A gate of 24,000 is poor by our standards.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ipswich Town are looking like they may be this season's Huddersfield with 3 wins in 3 despite being tipped to struggle.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa continue to be the laughing stock of the league!

Established Member
Not a bad result for Liverpool in tonight's qualifying round first leg, a 2-1 win gives us two vital away goals for the second leg.

I'm made up to hear Trent Alexander-Arnold scored his first senior goal for the club, too.

Established Member
Oi! ;)

Barnsley 2 Nottingham Forest 1

Our defence and midfielding was a bit shocking, but our strikers were the closest to superb.

Very fun first game for me! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your first game at Oakwell. I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm planning to this season, providing it's a weekend game. I can't remember when we play Barnsley away, I'll have to check and see when it is.

I think if you can keep building on last season's progress, you can definitely stay in the Championship.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Oi! ;)

Barnsley 2 Nottingham Forest 1

Our defence and midfielding was a bit shocking, but our strikers were the closest to superb.

Very fun first game for me! :)

Delighted that you beat the flea bitten, disease ridden Red Dogs.

I like Oakwell because of the large away end. Always a good laugh there.

J-2739

Established Member
I'm glad you enjoyed your first game at Oakwell. I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm planning to this season, providing it's a weekend game. I can't remember when we play Barnsley away, I'll have to check and see when it is.

I think if you can keep building on last season's progress, you can definitely stay in the Championship.

You should come, it's a good stadium. Obviously not up to the standards of yours, but it's very exciting, which is what matters.

We sell good Puka Pies as well :)

Delighted that you beat the flea bitten, disease ridden Red Dogs.

I like Oakwell because of the large away end. Always a good laugh there.

Hahaha, like your description! :D Their crowd was a bit dead tbh.

The away stand I think, is the second largest stand of the stadium (after the family stand, but it's a family stand ;))

Established Member
You should come, it's a good stadium. Obviously not up to the standards of yours, but it's very exciting, which is what matters.

We sell good Puka Pies as well :)

Yeah, I believe so. We play you at Oakwell on February 10th apparently, so I should be able to come along with any luck, providing things don't change between now and then of course. I think it was a 1-1 draw last time we played against Barnsley at Oakwell, but I'm not certain.

Excellent, I do like to have a pie at half time. :)