• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Iskra

Established Member
The start of next season will almost certainly be delayed until at least September, so squeezing an extra six rounds of games (or 4 if only those in automatic positions are promoted) into a curtailed season will be a struggle.

Not too keen on the idea of 5 relegation spots the following season either.

Why, providing everyone knows before the season starts, it's a level playing field? What's the problem?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Apparently the broadcasters are refusing to allow clubs to not be relegated this season (if it resumes). If they are blocking that, surely 'null and void' is off the table as an option too or they would want their money back. It's getting interesting.

gg1

Established Member
The start of next season will almost certainly be delayed until at least September, so squeezing an extra six rounds of games (or 4 if only those in automatic positions are promoted) into a curtailed season will be a struggle.

It really needs to be either 2 or 4 clubs getting promoted. The problem with promoting 3 clubs with no relegation is you'd then have a league with an odd number of clubs, a PITA from a fixture planning point of view with the additional big downside that one club would finish it's season before all the others. I agree the season probably won't start earlier than September and I think the PL and FA would want the 2020/21 season to end in May.

IMO it's highly likely the League cup will be suspended for the year to help with fixture congestion but with 4 extra PL games plus the usual European matches that still won't be enough. One option could be to give clubs still in Europe after Christmas the option of either withdrawing from the FA cup entirely or fielding a fully second string squad, FA cup games could then be scheduled on the same days as European matches.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It would be a travesty if they weren't. If it was anyone but Liverpool that were so far in front after such a good season then fans around the country would be clamouring for them to be awarded it.
I think it would be a travesty to have part of the season played in a different way to the rest of it.

It should all be knocked on the head and Liverpool can have a little asterisk next to them and their championship

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apparently the broadcasters are refusing to allow clubs to not be relegated this season (if it resumes). If they are blocking that, surely 'null and void' is off the table as an option too or they would want their money back. It's getting interesting.

One really has to despair if the organisation charged with governing football matters are really now subservient to the governing body. Is there anything in the Laws of the Game that can preclude outside bodies from such a scenario?

Iskra

Established Member
One really has to despair if the organisation charged with governing football matters are really now subservient to the governing body. Is there anything in the Laws of the Game that can preclude outside bodies from such a scenario?

There are a number of complications; The EPL cannot act without consulting the EFL. Both of which (as well as their members) are highly dependent on broadcasting rights and sponsorship for their existence. All will want the season to be either played-out or ended as normally as possible, you would expect.

gg1

Established Member
Over the years, the football season has gradually started earlier in the year and ended later in the year. Would this have anything to do with broadcasting rights of the television media?

I'm sure that's part of the reason but the number of European matches is a factor too. If Wolves reach the final of the Europa league they will have played 21 matches, that's 21 midweek slots where no PL games can be scheduled. 30 years ago the UEFA cup finalists would have played a maximum of 12 games while the European Cup and Cup Winners Cup finalists would have all played less than 10.

I also don't recall there being as many international breaks in the 90s compared to now.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Nothing in the Laws of the Game, however competition/league rules may contain something.

Karl

On Moderation
Remembering the sad day from 35 years ago today of the sad day at Bradford City. The images in my mind still live. God bless to the families of the 56 from a Preston North End fan.

Horrifying.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Remembering the sad day from 35 years ago today of the sad day at Bradford City. The images in my mind still live. God bless to the families of the 56 from a Preston North End fan.

Horrifying.

The 80s were a nasty era for British and European football. Glad safety standards have massively improved since.

Bedpan

Established Member
It really needs to be either 2 or 4 clubs getting promoted. The problem with promoting 3 clubs with no relegation is you'd then have a league with an odd number of clubs, a PITA from a fixture planning point of view with the additional big downside that one club would finish it's season before all the others. I agree the season probably won't start earlier than September and I think the PL and FA would want the 2020/21 season to end in May.

IMO it's highly likely the League cup will be suspended for the year to help with fixture congestion but with 4 extra PL games plus the usual European matches that still won't be enough. One option could be to give clubs still in Europe after Christmas the option of either withdrawing from the FA cup entirely or fielding a fully second string squad, FA cup games could then be scheduled on the same days as European matches.

I can't see that it would be too much of a problem. There are only 23 clubs in League 1 this season due to the Bury situation. There have been odd numbers in the top tier before, whenever they have changed the number of clubs. The old first division used to have 22, the EPL currently has 20, but at one point I recollect that there were only 18. Each time they adjust the numbers by changing the number by one, although obviously this would have to cascade down through the leagues.

If there are promotions but no relegations this year, then the Premier League will have 23 clubs instead of 20, but who knows what the European situation will be? We could be in a position where it is safe to play in England, but not necessarily in other countries, which could mean the Champions and Europa leagues not being played, or, as has been suggested earlier, EPL teams could be excused from entering the League Cup. (Wouldn't a Football League only cup be great)? The EPL can then revert to 20 if it wants to by an extra relegation for the next three seasons, or maybe including the fourth from bottom team in the play offs.

By good fortune the numbers in League One will increase back up to 24 by virtue of the fact that four teams are as a matter of course promoted from League Two to League One. The only problem will be in League Two, where they will lose the top four (or top three plus play off winners) but will only have two promotions from the conference so will be reduced to 22.....unless there are two extra promotions from the National League.

As an aside, last night I was watching a YouTube video about what could happen to the current season, and the idiot who made the video seemed to think that if there were no relegations there would be extra games in each division!!! I was hoping that he might explain where all these extra teams would come from but he didn't.

Iskra

Established Member
It's been confirmed that there will be relegation. Too many bodies said they would block a no relegation solution.

It is basically either now behind closed doors or points per game.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member

Horrifying.

May I echo that. It was a horrible day for our friends and neighbours across the city and our thoughts are with them. RIP the 56. From a supporter of Bradford (Park Avenue) FC.

scotrail158713

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be of the special League 1 clubs meeting, due for an early start today, that is being held to discuss end of season matters.
Looking on from the outside I can’t see how the rest of the EFL can finish now that the League Two season has been declared over. How are League Two clubs any less important than Championship/League One?

SteveM70

Established Member
As a supporter of a national league side in a playoff place, the league 2 decision not to relegate their bottom club (turkeys voting for Christmas anyone?) effectively ends our season without our league making a decision of their own. Unless they choose not to promote Barrow, who are top, and instead run the playoffs for the top six.

It really is quite bizarre to have individual divisions - let alone individual leagues - making their own choices. Some proper FA leadership wouldn’t go amiss at times like this, and consistent decision making

mmh

Established Member
As a supporter of a national league side in a playoff place, the league 2 decision not to relegate their bottom club (turkeys voting for Christmas anyone?) effectively ends our season without our league making a decision of their own. Unless they choose not to promote Barrow, who are top, and instead run the playoffs for the top six.

It really is quite bizarre to have individual divisions - let alone individual leagues - making their own choices. Some proper FA leadership wouldn’t go amiss at times like this, and consistent decision making

There could well still be a promotion place going though - Bury were kicked out, so there's an empty spot in League Two.

SteveM70

Established Member
There could well still be a promotion place going though - Bury were kicked out, so there's an empty spot in League Two.

Yes exactly - one rather than two, so either no playoffs or the champions don’t go up automatically

Bedpan

Established Member
I always thought that promoting but not relegating would be a sensible resolution to the current conundrum, particularly if the European competitions were to be abandoned next year, (as it would give a Premier League of 23 teams an additional six games to play, but I know that there seems too be resistance to it, apparently not least from TV companies. If that were to have happened through the leagues, League 2 would have been left with 22 clubs and so there could have been the prospect of four promotions from the National League this year. It seems grossly unfair for a division within the football league to dictate how many teams are relegated from or promoted into it.

As for Oldham, presumably the hearing of the court case against them can't take place due to the lockdown and the longer it is adjourned, the more chance they have of selling their ground and paying their debts. Other than that, I suppose that everything is in limbo at the moment although if anybody has any information it would be interesting to hear it.

If they were to go into administration and suffer a 12 point deduction, I assume that it would have to apply to the 2020/21 season which could be regarded as unfair on them if the delay is solely due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

Karl

On Moderation
I was looking forward to having Barrow back in the league. Barrow and Workington Town were regularly called out on the radio results from the late 60's, early 70's. I miss those days. :)

Bucephalus

Don't know if this has been asked... is there a German equivalent to Match of the Day for the Bundesliga? If so, is there a way of watching it online? I'm deprived of football!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Don't know if this has been asked... is there a German equivalent to Match of the Day for the Bundesliga? If so, is there a way of watching it online? I'm deprived of football!
BT Sport showed live games and highlights packages before the shutdown, so I presume that coverage will have restarted.

Bedpan

Established Member
May I echo that. It was a horrible day for our friends and neighbours across the city and our thoughts are with them. RIP the 56. From a supporter of Bradford (Park Avenue) FC.
And for every football supporter. It could have happened at any one of most of our clubs. RIP to the 56.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Calling Workington AFC "Workington Town" is as big a faux pas as calling Bradford City "Bradford". Workington Town is a rugby league club. "Bradford" are in National League North.

Attachments

• bradford city away 67-68 (small).jpg
    bradford city away 67-68 (small).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 6
  • Workington1.jpg
    Workington1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 6