• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

scotrail158713

Established Member
More positive news on the football front today with the EPL set to start on June 17th, and Serie A on the 20th. Small moves - but very gradually a small realm of normality is beginning to return.
The Premier League is set to restart on 17 June with Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal, subject to government approval.

A full round of fixtures would then be played on the weekend of 19-21 June.

There are 92 matches still to play, and the first to take place will be those the four teams involved have in hand.

All matches will take place behind closed doors and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports, BT Sport, BBC Sport or Amazon Prime.
BBC Sport will air four live matches for the first time since the Premier League's inception in 1992.Meanwhile, Sky Sports will show 64 matches live and make 25 available free to air.
Safety guidelines are yet to be issued by the government and decisions will remain subject to the continuing fight against the coronavirus pandemic.Kick-off times will be as follows (all times BST):
  • Friday: 20:00
  • Saturday: 12:30, 15:00, 17:30 and 20:00
  • Sunday: 12:00, 14:00, 16:30 and 19:00
  • Monday: 20:00
  • Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 18:00 and 20:00BBC Sport understands that clubs have agreed to a provisional end date of Saturday, 25 July.It is also understood that finishing the season would require six weekends and three midweek rounds.Liverpool sit 25 points clear at the top of the table while Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Norwich City are in the relegation places.The Reds, chasing a first league title in 30 years, could clinch it with victory in their first game back should second-placed Manchester City lose to Arsenal. "The Premier League and our clubs are proud to have incredibly passionate and loyal supporters," Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said."It is important to ensure as many people as possible can watch the matches at home."Masters added that the resumption date would not be confirmed "until we have met all the safety requirements needed".It is understood that if the season progresses as planned, the £340m rebate to TV companiescan be phased over a period of time.However, if the games are not played, the full sum will be due in July.Meanwhile on Friday morning the Football Association will announce proposed dates for the FA Cup quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.And in terms of European competition, the last 16 second-leg matches in the Champions League and Europa League are set to be played between 6 and 8 August. Manchester City, Manchester United and Wolves are all still involved. Uefa will discuss the plans at an executive committee meeting in June before a decision is made.What is the background?The Premier League was suspended on 13 March because of the pandemic and it will be 100 days after Leicester City's 4-0 win over Aston Villa on 9 March that competition will - prospectively - resume.Manchester City v Arsenal was already scheduled to be shown on Sky Sports, while Aston Villa v Sheffield United was not listed for live coverage when selections were announced in February.Home and away matches look most likely for the vast majority of games - with a few high-profile games at neutral venues at the request of the police. Clubs have expressed their opposition to the concept of using neutral grounds, including Brighton and West Ham.On Wednesday, clubs unanimously voted to resume contact training, having started non-contact training last week.So far 12 people have tested positive for coronavirus after 2,752 tests across the league.Premier League players and staff will continue to be tested twice a week, with the capacity increased from 50 to 60 tests per club for the fourth round of testing.Any players or staff to test positive must self-isolate for a period of seven days.Plans for the third phase of Project Restart include a step towards normal training and build-up to competitive games.What about the rest of Europe?
    • On Thursday Italy's sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora confirmed that Serie A will return on 20 June after the league was suspended on 9 March. Juventus lead the table by a point with 12 rounds of matches remaining.
    • Spain's prime minister Pedro Sanchez announced on Saturday that La Liga can resume from 8 June. Barcelona lead Real Madrid by two points at the top with 11 rounds of matches to play.
    • The German Bundesliga season resumed on 16 May, becoming the first major league in Europe to return to competition. All matches are being played behind closed doors with Bayern Munich leading the way on 64 points.
    • The French Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume, with Paris St-Germain being awarded the top-flight title.
    • On 25 April in the Netherlands, the Eredivisie was abandoned and Belgium's Pro-League cancelled its season, although the decision to ratify this is still pending.
    • And on 18 May, Celtic were confirmed as Scottish champions for the ninth season in a row and Hearts relegated after the SPFL ended the season. The decision was taken at a board meeting after the 12 clubs agreed that completing the campaign was unfeasible.'Football's back!' - reactionMatch of the Day presenter Gary Lineker: "It's coming back, it's coming back, it's coming, football's coming back!"Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum: "WE. GO. AGAIN. We'll miss having you with us at the stadiums, but we'll do everything we can to make you proud."Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport: "Positive to see further steps on the return of football today."I've been pushing for as many games as possible to be free to view and for the return of the top league to support the whole football family."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

Today is the 35th anniversary of the Heysel disaster and yet it is not mentioned in any media outlet I have looked at today from the BBC to the Liverpool Echo.

Why do you think that might be?
I saw a tweet about it by a Guardian journalist earlier. Does that count?

Darandio

Established Member
Today is the 35th anniversary of the Heysel disaster and yet it is not mentioned in any media outlet I have looked at today from the BBC to the Liverpool Echo.

Why do you think that might be?

Your original post didn't mention the Liverpool Echo yet they did mention it first thing this morning and have a lengthy article on it. I can only assume you didn't look hard enough?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Your original post didn't mention the Liverpool Echo yet they did mention it first thing this morning and have a lengthy article on it. I can only assume you didn't look hard enough?

I read quite enough of it thank you very much.

I think the "NEWS" page and the specific landing page for "Liverpool FC" was enough don't you????

Which section was it in and why for such a small period of the morning?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I don't care where you looked. You claimed there was nothing, there is. That's it.

I've just checked again for you, nothing there. "That's it"

BlueFox has found a tweet for me to read which was great.

I think if it isn't on the Liverpool Echo at one end and something as large as BBC Sport is a fair assumption that it is not being covered.

You seem to think not for some reason but think writing "That's it" means you've won the internet. No idea what your problem is.

I find it odd that it isn't mentioned anywhere, do you not find that odd?

Darandio

Established Member
Try again. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ysel-remembered-new-generations-must-18324480
Cast your eyes over the sparkling all-seater stadia that scatter the Premier League landscape like diamonds and you could be forgiven for thinking the dark days of the 1980s never happened.

In this era of billion-pound TV rights the biggest concerns facing top-flight fans involve extortionate ticket prices and the increasing buy-up of the game’s soul by brigades of prawn sandwich-eating executives.

Sometimes it is hard to imagine that as recently as 30 years ago going to a game of football could turn out to be a matter of life and death: the fire which ripped through a rickety wooden stand at Bradford and claimed 56 lives; four years later, the unimaginable horrors of Hillsborough.

Within the series of tragedies which left an indelible stain on the game and the reputations of those who governed and policed it, what happened at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels on May 29 1985 rests somewhat uneasily.

Nobody won the internet, you claimed it wasn't covered on a particular website and I said it was, that really was it. I'm not sure why it hasn't been covered more elsewhere, presumably it's some pro-Liverpool attempt at a cover up? It was on the Liverpool FC page btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the day that Bradford were voted out of the Football League at its AGM at the Cafe Royal in London.

I remember the day vividly. There was a sports programme on the wireless which ran from 12.00 to 12.30. When nothing had been said about re-election by 12.25, I assumed we would be safe as surely the election of Cambridge United would have been headline news. But then, at 12.27 it was announced "and finally, the Football League has a new member in Cambridge United. They will take the place of Bradford (Park Avenue)". Cambridge had paid some dolly birds in mortar boards to stand outside the venue with placards as delegates entered.

I am disappointed that the Bradford club hasn't done more to commemorate (if that is the operative word) this very sad occasion. I ended up having a round of golf at Wythenshawe Park pitch and putt that 1970 afternoon with a Newport County fan who took the p**s. Newport had been in serious danger of being voted our instead of us. As a personal reminder, this afternoon I shall play my first round of golf since last August.

Fifty years of hurt hardly describes the feeling. We're a million miles from getting back. I hope our friends from Barrow make it this summer.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Why do you think you were voted out? As an Altrincham fan our experience is that it was more of a closed shop in then league?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
A combination of two things. Firstly geography - which also did for Gateshead, Barrow and Workington. There was another lower league club in Manningham, on the other side of Bradford. Secondly we had had four very poor seasons and a barmpot chairman who brought the club into disrepute by picking the team. (And was it purely coincidence that Cambridge Utd followed Oxford Utd into D4?)

Having been voted out, it was very unlikely we would ever be voted back however well we did. We were, in fact, challenging near the top of the NPL in October 1970, beating Altrincham 4-1 in the process. Then our barmpot chairman and sugar daddy suddenly died and we had to give away our best players, two to First Division clubs, to make ends meet, hastening our decline.

If there had been automatic promotion and relegation, it might have been a different story. Indeed if this had happened soon enough, Bradford City would have been relegated to non league circles in 1963 - and Bradford (Park Avenue) would have gone down three years earlier in 1967 not 1970. Maybe, as quite a big club at the time, we would have been in a better state than 1970 to mount a promotion push. But it's all hypothetical.

Not sure as yet whether Bradford will be saved from our much deserved relegation to the NPL this summer as the powers that be seem incapable of making decisions. Altrincham, of course, have had more that their fair share of reprieves over the years - but were hard done by in the 1960's and 1970's. The development plans for Moss Lane look impressive. All we're doing is installing a plastic pitch.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
A combination of two things. Firstly geography - which also did for Gateshead, Barrow and Workington. There was another lower league club in Manningham, on the other side of Bradford. Secondly we had had four very poor seasons and a barmpot chairman who brought the club into disrepute by picking the team. (And was it purely coincidence that Cambridge Utd followed Oxford Utd into D4?)

Having been voted out, it was very unlikely we would ever be voted back however well we did. We were, in fact, challenging near the top of the NPL in October 1970, beating Altrincham 4-1 in the process. Then our barmpot chairman and sugar daddy suddenly died and we had to give away our best players, two to First Division clubs, to make ends meet, hastening our decline.

If there had been automatic promotion and relegation, it might have been a different story. Indeed if this had happened soon enough, Bradford City would have been relegated to non league circles in 1963 - and Bradford (Park Avenue) would have gone down three years earlier in 1967 not 1970. Maybe, as quite a big club at the time, we would have been in a better state than 1970 to mount a promotion push. But it's all hypothetical.

Not sure as yet whether Bradford will be saved from our much deserved relegation to the NPL this summer as the powers that be seem incapable of making decisions. Altrincham, of course, have had more that their fair share of reprieves over the years - but were hard done by in the 1960's and 1970's. The development plans for Moss Lane look impressive. All we're doing is installing a plastic pitch.

I interesting to hear of crazy chairman in the older times; sometimes it feels like a new problem. I’m glad we don’t have a cross town rival magnifying our struggles.

Whilst we had a few reprieves they were between the Conf Nat and below rather than the league. Mind the teams that reprieved us were basically cheating so we didn’t ever feel overly guilty about it. Winning the Conference two y3ars on the trot and being denied promotion by forgetful or drunk chairman not voting is a killer.

I do also feel sorry for teams not promoted due to grown grading, this must be just as bad a feeling. Quite why grounds had to be ready before promotion I’m not sure.

Whilst I quite like your ground I also feel it could be holding you back too; our plans look good and I’m so glad we haven’t moved to a soulless out of town affair.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Yes our ground is poor and its history and perception as a schools athletics track is one of the reasons why the locals don't take us as seriously as they might.

I'll be glad to see Moss Lane upgraded as I find it impossible to sit in the main stand as the leg room is so poor. But our place is little better.

Speaking of local rivals, its beginning to look like there's a conspiracy brewing to get Macclesfield relegated to the National League instead of Stevenage. Once upon a time of course, Macc were denied promotion due to ground grading while the FL hypocritically allowed Chester to play league football on the same ground while the Deva Stadium was being built.

My first visit to Altrincham was in 1970 to see Alty v Macc in the NPL Cup final, 1st leg. I think there were over 5,000 there. I went for a preview of what the NPL might be like should we end up there which, of course, a few weeks later we did.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Yes our ground is poor and its history and perception as a schools athletics track is one of the reasons why the locals don't take us as seriously as they might.

I'll be glad to see Moss Lane upgraded as I find it impossible to sit in the main stand as the leg room is so poor. But our place is little better.

Speaking of local rivals, its beginning to look like there's a conspiracy brewing to get Macclesfield relegated to the National League instead of Stevenage. Once upon a time of course, Macc were denied promotion due to ground grading while the FL hypocritically allowed Chester to play league football on the same ground while the Deva Stadium was being built.

My first visit to Altrincham was in 1970 to see Alty v Macc in the NPL Cup final, 1st leg. I think there were over 5,000 there. I went for a preview of what the NPL might be like should we end up there which, of course, a few weeks later we did.

If I were you I’d try and sit in the family stand next to the main stand it’s far better. The last time I sat in the main stand I was 13, I’m over 2m tall now so I avoid most seats at football. I went to The Valley this year and it was the worst ever I think and that was with a free seat next to me.

I’m afraid Macc the club deserve everything they get after their antics over the past decade.

The last time I was at B(PA) we were pushing for promotion and one nil down. We went on to win 2-1 and we were fielding our subs as slips behind the goal to keep the ball in play.

Iskra

Established Member
The Championship is back (Behind Closed Doors) and with all these KO times, it's going to be like having a world cup. However, it will be sad that if Leeds do finally make the promised land, that I won't be there to see it.

In a statement released on Friday afternoon, the EFL confirmed that after further consultation with Championship clubs this week, the season will still commence with match 38 on the weekend of June 20, with match 39 taking place on Saturday, June 27.
The EFL say that the minor amendment to the schedule will result in the last match of the regular season being on the midweek of July 21 and 22 with the Championship play-off final on either Sunday, August 2 or Monday, August 3.
The EFL say that the fixture schedule is in the process of being finalised, alongside the revised broadcast selections, but the EFL have confirmed the kick-off times for games taking place.

TWO MORE WEEKS: To Leeds United's Championship restart. Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images.
TWO MORE WEEKS: To Leeds United's Championship restart. Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images. Copyright: Getty

At weekends, there will be 6pm and 8pm kick-offs on a Friday with games taking place at 12.30pm, 3pm and 5.30pm on a Saturday and just the one slot of 12pm on a Sunday.
Midweek games will take place on either a Tuesday or a Wednesday with kick-offs at 5pm, 6pm and 8pm each day.
All games will be played behind closed doors but access to those games will be available to all season ticket holders via iFollow (or club equivalent service).
The statement from the EFL read: "As part of a new and innovative arrangement between the EFL and Sky Sports, which will see the broadcaster show 45 games live, season ticket holders at all Sky Bet EFL Championship clubs will be given unprecedented access to watch the conclusion of the 2019/20 season online.

"The Championship season will resume behind closed doors on June 20 live on Sky Sports, and work has been undertaken to ensure season ticket holding supporters are given the opportunity not to miss any of the action, whether the games take place home or away.
"Sky Sports will broadcast 30 of the remaining 108 Championship matches alongside exclusively showing the 15 games across all EFL divisions in the Sky Bet play-offs.
"The 30 live league fixtures will also be streamed on a Club’s iFollow (or equivalent) service, where access will be provided for season ticket holders."
The EFL say that supporters should note that access to the games will be determined by the club where the supporter holds a season ticket.

Access may be in lieu of a refund or part of a wider package as determined by each individual club.
The statement continued: "In addition, the remaining 78 matches will be streamed exclusively live, again with access available to season ticket holders as identified above.
"Non-season ticket holding supporters will able to purchase these games for the current match price pass of £10.
"Sky Sports will show the “goals as they go in” from these matches.

"The 30 live Sky matches will also be available to the EFL’s overseas broadcasters via the League’s partnership with Pitch International.
"The other games will be available for supporters of EFL Clubs outside of the UK, either as part of already purchased season passes (for their respective club) or to buy on an individual match-by-match basis
"The decision to structure this arrangement in such a unique way has become possible as a result of a settlement deal agreed between the EFL and Sky following the postponement of the competition earlier this year, and is one that has limited financial impact on the existing arrangement with the broadcaster at a time when EFL Clubs have lost a significant income stream through a lack of gate receipts."
The EFL say that broadcast selections made prior to the season suspension will now not apply, and Sky Sports will start this process “from scratch” with first selections expected to be available early next week.

EFL Chair Rick Parry said: “I would firstly like to thank the team at Sky Sports for their patience and support whilst we have worked through some of the complex issues surrounding our agreement that have arisen as a result of live sport being unable to take place due to the current crisis.
“There is no question that COVID-19 has detrimentally affected all industries and, whilst we have only ever wanted to return when it is safe to do, we have always understood that when we did, we had to balance the requirements of our broadcast partners with the unique and challenging financial circumstances that our Clubs face.
“We are delighted to have reached such an agreeable and sensible arrangement that ensures the financial impact to Clubs is minimised, Sky Sports are able to get their football business back up with one of the most eagerly anticipated Championship run-ins in years and, importantly, fans get access to games during a period where guidelines prevent them from attending in person.”
Sky Sports managing director Rob Webster said: "The partnership between Sky Sports and the EFL supports clubs and their communities across the country. We are pleased to have reached a solution which works for them; and appreciate the positive and collaborative spirit of the negotiations.

“The availability for existing season ticket holders to stream matches from their club platform will compliment Sky Sports in telling the complete story of the climax to season.”
Quest will also provide extended highlights on both Saturday evenings and midweek, whilst talkSPORT will provide exclusive national radio commentary on some Championship matches.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
If I were you I’d try and sit in the family stand next to the main stand it’s far better.

I agree - that's what I did this season as I am of similar height to you. Other grounds with very poor legroom include QPR, Brentford, Manchester United and Walsall (apart from the newest stand behind the goal) - plus the old main stand at Leeds.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I agree - that's what I did this season as I am of similar height to you. Other grounds with very poor legroom include QPR, Brentford, Manchester United and Walsall (apart from the newest stand behind the goal) - plus the old main stand at Leeds.
I'll nominate the away end at Ewood Park for that dishonourable award... makes 153s feel like long-haul business class!

Iskra

Established Member

I think all the stands at Leeds have poor leg room. But both ends stand for 90 minutes anyway, so it's not too much of an issue.

The only grounds with genuinely decent legroom are some of the new ones, but then I always think it feels weird. I'm never really sure exactly what you're supposed to do with all that room. Although it does make it easier for people to pass. I'm thinking Swansea, MK Dons etc.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Bolton, Wigan and Manchester City are among the better grounds in the north for leg room.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Tuesday saw the English League 1 and League 2 seasons end early, after a vote by the clubs, with the final league tables being decided on a points per game played basis.

League 2 still has the possible relegation matter of Macclesfield to be decided, as there were still pending sanctions.

Steveoh

Relegation from League 2 is dependent on the National League proving that there will be a competition for the relegated club to play in.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
It would be foolhardy of the National League to promise to start the 2020/21 season before spectators are allowed to attend. Club finances simply do not allow it. We should know more later today.

Cletus

Established Member
It would be foolhardy of the National League to promise to start the 2020/21 season before spectators are allowed to attend. Club finances simply do not allow it. We should know more later today.
Never rely on the NL to be decisive. :smile:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As for Oldham, presumably the hearing of the court case against them can't take place due to the lockdown and the longer it is adjourned, the more chance they have of selling their ground and paying their debts. Other than that, I suppose that everything is in limbo at the moment although if anybody has any information it would be interesting to hear it.

If they were to go into administration and suffer a 12 point deduction, I assume that it would have to apply to the 2020/21 season which could be regarded as unfair on them if the delay is solely due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

That particular matter concerning Oldham Athletic FC was resolved by the payment of the debt owed to former owners Brass Bank Limited being made as settlement, so no court case will now take place and as such, the club did not enter into administration.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Big day for Macclesfield Town today; I believe there is to be a decision on points deductions for further infringements.

3 more and they are down.

My judgement....Norman Stanley Fletcher.