• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Footbridge at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

During a quiet spell at Doncaster yesterday I was looking at the footbridge. I noticed that in a fair few areas it was looking, how shall I put it, fairly ropey. Are there any plans to replace it. I imagine that as trains thunder through non stop over the points there is a fair bit of vibration going on. Also noticed a sign saying weak bridge only so many persons per span.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

civ-eng-jim

I can't picture where it is as I'm standing up waiting to get off when coming into Doncaster.

Is it for passenger use? I've only ever used a subway to cross the lines and the new link bridge to platform 0.

Presumably it's a rail staff crossing and the likelihood of overloading by large crowds is limited.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I suspect this is the bridge into Wabtec that goes over the top of the station and comes out near the car park. I thought this was a private footpath. And yes, it dpoes look a bit dodgy!

Tracked

Established Member
Can remember going over it when I was young, from the car park outside the station to platform 4 iirc, there was some sort of event on - not sure if it was the Finningley Airshow or Doncaster Works in the mid-80's. Someone told me a couple of years ago that it was going to be taken down over the Xmas break, which didn't happen.

dazzler

We used to use it on a Friday teatime when I worked for the Area Signals & Telecommunications Engineer's Telecoms Minor Works in Donny in the (very) late 80s, as it was handy to get back to the station for the train home to York after a post work pint (or two!) in The Leopard on West Street. :smile::smile:

It was also useful for nipping across to sort out the telephones in Dennison House when they inevitably went wrong (again!)

I seem to remember it was a bit rickety back then as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.