• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

For all of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Think he's left someting behind at his last stop. Looks like the expression on the driver's face says it all - "Strange, this one's feeling a bit light on the driving side, it's as if I'm not hauling anything..." lol :-P

Mart

Death

Established Member
'Ello again! <D
Managed to figure out the link at last...Basically, I needed a cookie set on my browser to disable the redirect thing (It's designed to stop remote image linking) so all I had to do was visit the site to get that cookie! Anyhow...ROTFLMFAO at that picture! 8)

...Is this a taste of GNER's new budget service, formed in response to SWT's MegaTrain website? :lol:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

LucaZone

Technically a HST is a DMU as HST is a name of a train, not the name of a Rail Vehicle. A Class 43 cant be a DMU because on its own its a loco :)

However in cases like the eurostar when im sure the loco can move on its own (not totally sure), the loco and trailers have the same name. As in Class 373 M1 and Class 373 R1/5/7/9

Derek Kaye

intersting, I get it aswell

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.

edit:

and I get a 404 error in IE

tubenutter

'Ello again! <D
Managed to figure out the link at last...Basically, I needed a cookie set on my browser to disable the redirect thing (It's designed to stop remote image linking) so all I had to do was visit the site to get that cookie! Anyhow...ROTFLMFAO at that picture! 8)

...Is this a taste of GNER's new budget service, formed in response to SWT's MegaTrain website? :lol:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

could you explain that for dummies please as i am having the same problem that you had.

Met Driver

Established Member
I had the same problem initially - copy & paste the link into your browser and it should work.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Technically a HST is a DMU as HST is a name of a train, not the name of a Rail Vehicle.

To be pedantic (sorry ;) ), the HST is classed as Locomotives and Coaches, Class 43s being the locomotives with the mk3s as unpowered trailing cars.

For the HST to be a true DMU, the power cars and coaches would have to be powered.

Therefore, in my eyes they are locos/stock, just permanantly top-n-tailed.

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
could you explain that for dummies please as i am having the same problem that you had.
OK, for all of those who don't use http://www.wnxx.com on a regular basis (And thus can't see the photo.) try this:
  1. Go to http://www.wnxx.com,
  2. Click "Photo Collections" in the bar at the top,
  3. Go to "Gallery 23/10/06" (The one with 57307 in the thumbnail.),
  4. A very similar image is in there, top row, second from the left.
After viewing the gallery (Provided that you don't clear your cookies and other data.) you might find that the direct link to the image now works. 8)

Hope this helps! <D
>> Death <<

Established Member
To be pedantic (sorry ;) )
For the HST to be a true DMU, the power cars and coaches would have to be powered.
Can't agree with that, most "true" DMUs were built as power car plus trailer coaches.
Don't think there are any EMUs (so still units) which have all cars powered, maybe some of the 2-car southern stuff is/was?

A HST isnt a loco or a unit...its just a HST!

theblackwatch

Established Member
A HST isnt a loco or a unit...its just a HST!

Not wanting to get into an argument over whether HSTs are locos or units, I thought I'd give a bit of a background. Going back over the years, it seems BR was never quite sure what to class them as. Originally, the prototype was built as 2 locos (Class 41 - 41001/2) and coaches. Someone somewhere must have thought this wasn't right, as it was later decided to reclassify it as a DEMU, so it became set 252001 and the motor vehicles were renumbered into the coaching stock series as 43000/1, the trailers also being renumbered too.

When the production sets appeared, they too were built under coaching stock lot numbers, and classified 253 (WR, 7-car) and 254 (ER/ScR 8-car), and efforts were made to keep the complete sets (both power cars and trailers) in fixed formations. The ER/ScR abandoned the policy of keeping power cars fixed with sets after a couple of years, though the WR carried on with this until the mid 1980s.

In around 1988, it was decided to reclassify the entire fleet as locos (Class 43 - no need for any renumbering) and coaches - the reason for this decision (or the one to regard them as units back in the 70s) I don't know. Will have a look in the 'HST Silver Jubilee' book when I get home and see if it says why.

So, if you want the 'official' designation, they are now locos - but didn't used to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.