• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Foreshortened Termini

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

I didn't realise until recently that Morecambe station was another one of those where BR abandoned the original station and built a new one further up the line, so I wonder which other ones are there?

The ones that I know of are...

Bradford Exchange to Bradford Interchange 1971
Fort William 1975
Morecambe Promenade 1994

Also is it only a recent phenomena or was it ever done in the olden days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
A couple which spring to mind are:
  • Blackpool North - current station was rebuilt in the 1970s at what were previously the excursion platforms and located slightly further away from the seafront than the original North station.
  • Balloch - current station is further from Loch Lomond and was relocated there to avoid the level crossing when Balloch Central and Balloch Pier stations closed in mid-1980s.
  • Sheringham - BR station was relocated east of the level crossing to allow elimination of the crossing in the 1960s. Original Sheringham station was to the west where North Norfolk Railway is now.

[Edit] I think Windermere, Southport and Windsor & Eton Central can be added in a "somewhat truncated to allow shops to be built in front" category.

Last edited:

superjohn

Felixstowe, 1970 - The original station was closed and converted into shops. The new station was a single platform halt formed of the extremities of one of the original platforms.

Sheringham, 1967 - The original station was closed and is now home to the North Norfolk Railway. A completely new single platform halt was built on the Cromer side of the level crossing.

Uckfield, 1991 - Also replaced by a new, simpler station on the other side of a level crossing, closing the crossing in the process.

I guess King’s Cross Thameslink and Angel Road sort of count as well.

St. Ives, Cornwall - new platform further from town (subsequently extended), to create car park on old site.
Gunnislake, Cornwall - other side of A390 road to eliminate low-bridge.

Dave W

Stourbridge Town - the original was on the site of the bus station. The old bus station still had the retaining wall, I think, but all swept away with the new one.

Image from Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stour...ge_Town_Station,_Michael_Westley,_1645368.jpg

Interesting in that shot where the old freight branch's bridge has been removed. As the description reads, it wasn't long after this that a unit went through the wall!

steamybrian

Established Member
Epsom Downs - new single platform station built about 400 yards short of original 8 platform station.
Looe- new station 110 yards short of original.

bramling

Veteran Member
Felixstowe, 1970 - The original station was closed and converted into shops. The new station was a single platform halt formed of the extremities of one of the original platforms.

Sheringham, 1967 - The original station was closed and is now home to the North Norfolk Railway. A completely new single platform halt was built on the Cromer side of the level crossing.

Uckfield, 1991 - Also replaced by a new, simpler station on the other side of a level crossing, closing the crossing in the process.

I guess King’s Cross Thameslink and Angel Road sort of count as well.

A slight point of order, however both Sheringham and Uckfield weren’t foreshortened as such, as both were through stations where the line was closed in one direction and the station completely re-sited to dispense with a level crossing.

This differentiates from places like St Ives or Marlow where the station was cut back to allow alternative use of the land.

GNERman

Established Member
As well as Bradford Interchange (mentioned above), wasn't Bradford Forster Square altered quite a lot in the early-90's?

I seem to think that the current station is about 50-100m to the north and slightly to the side of the original station.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Ardrossan Harbour
Windsor & Eton Central is just hanging on at the extremity of one original platform (a bit like Felixstowe)
Paddington saw the concourse enlarged by shortening some of the platforms in front of 'the lawn'
Victoria (Central side) has seen platforms shortened to create a larger concourse
Exmouth
New Holland was moved from a triangular/reversing 'terminus' to the 'avoiding line when the Pier closed

On preserved lines Wallingford has 'retreated'

On metros South Shields has been truncated twice

delt1c

Established Member
North Berwick, dont have the date original was demolished but new station had to be extended

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Was Glossop shortened slightly as the effect of when the single track switched sides of the island platform to make way for adjacent the Co-op supermarket?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Also Paddington; the tracks used to extend back into what is now The Lawn area; so the "Zero" for the GWML is actually 0m 5ch, IIRC.

PeterC

Established Member
London Liverpool Street when rebuilt.
IIRC only partially. I know four longer platforms were cut back to form a single gateline on the West Side. I thought the other 16 were unchanged.

Nobody seems to have mentioned St Pancras (MML)

adamedwards

Windermere counts as the trainshed is now Booths supermarket with the trains stopping at the same platform, but closer to Oxenholme.

The National Library of Scotland side by side maps show this reasonably well:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...4.37962&lon=-2.90334&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Kings Cross has shorter platforms (a coach length reduction for nos 5-8 I think) to create more circulating space.

Going the other way, the honourable mention is Glasgow Queen St which has taken concourse space to allow for 8 car trains. There's another thread needed there I think!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Port Victoria station on the isle of Grain branch used to be on a wooden pier, but was moved onto dry land when the pier was declared unsafe in 1931.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Broad Street was cut back for a short while before closure. Also Looe station was shortened.

Brooke

Ilkley I believe is also in the « slightly truncated to allow a supermarket » category, by about 50m or so.

Is Derry in a category of its own by extending to a new terminus past the original station to allow it to be taken from use? (I’m thinking of the 1980s station, before they reverted back again recently)

Jona26

As was I think the single remaining open platform at Liverpool Central High Level before the station closed entirely.

theblackwatch

Established Member
As well as Bradford Interchange (mentioned above), wasn't Bradford Forster Square altered quite a lot in the early-90's?

I seem to think that the current station is about 50-100m to the north and slightly to the side of the original station.

Yes, Bradford FS was moved and the old station demolished around 1990.

Revilo

Falmouth (Docks) was foreshortened for passengers in 1970 to a new station at Falmouth Town (aka as The Dell). But because of the gradient at Falmouth Town the DMUs still had to travel down to Docks to change ends, so the old line and station reopened to passengers in 1975.

Status
Not open for further replies.