• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgot Railcard Now they wish to prosecute me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Not true, the new rules allow a customer to forget their railcard once and produce it later. There is no requirment for the TOC to issue a penalty fare or issue a new ticket in order to afford the customer this chance. Likewise, if a customer forgets their railcard once the TOC has to allow them the chance to produce it once and can't be going straight for prosecution. They have to follow the rules.

The OP hasn't reported back following their phone call to the railcard helpline today, but hopefully we will hear back from them soon.

I think you are confusing what the thread title states to what has actually happened when reading the full account.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
This is no help at all. The requirement is to show the railcard on demand, not a copy. Th only railcard that can be displayed on a phone is an electronic railcard.
It is useful if you're asked to email a photo of the railcard.

In the event of a prosecution having a named railcard with the ticket and it's reference number can help the case on a balance of probabilities of intent to avoid paying a fare or defraud, it's better than nothing.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It is useful if you're asked to email a photo of the railcard.
Most people can take a photograph of it if and when they need to.
In the event of a prosecution having a named railcard with the ticket and it's reference number can help the case on a balance of probabilities of intent to avoid paying a fare or defraud, it's better than nothing.
Carrying the railcard avoids that completely.

Vespa

Established Member
Most people can take a photograph of it if and when they need to.

Carrying the railcard avoids that completely.
Indeed, however in this case we are talking about a forgotten and later lost railcard, of which a photo can prevent the case from progressing further as in the OP particular circumstances.

Prevention is better than the cure, however it is always handy to have the cure to use.

Established Member
Not true, the new rules allow a customer to forget their railcard once and produce it later. There is no requirment for the TOC to issue a penalty fare or issue a new ticket in order to afford the customer this chance.
Can you provide a credible source for that please? Or is this just your interpretation of the 16-25 Railcard conditions?

SussexMan

But this isn't a forgotten railcard, it's a lost railcard.
I thought it was a forgotten Railcard, and then on looking for it, they realised they couldn't find it and it then became lost.

Hi I stupidly forgot to bring my Railcard with me when I went from London to Brighton and the ticket inspector cave me a caution. I told him that I had forgotten my card at home

[.n]

Can you provide a credible source for that please? Or is this just your interpretation of the 16-25 Railcard conditions?
If you read the link posted earlier you would have seen this https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/hel...ve-to-buy-a-new-ticket-or-pay-a-penalty-fare/

Not to mention from the NRCOT from which 8.6 seems very relevant

8. RAILCARDS 8.1. If you use a Railcard to purchase a discounted Ticket, you must carry the Railcard (and have it available for inspection) when you travel. The Railcard must be within its period of validity when you travel (in other words it should not have expired). 8.2. The Railcard may have additional restrictions which will apply to any Tickets you buy when using it. 8.3. If you have a Railcard, you must ensure that the information on it can be read by rail staff. On occasions this printed information will fade over time. If your Railcard starts to become illegible for this reason, we will replace it without charge. This can be done at any station with a Ticket office or through the Licensed Retailer from which it was purchased. 10 8.4. When you buy a national Railcard the full terms and conditions will be provided. They are also available from www.railcard.co.uk, and on request from all staffed Ticket offices. 8.5. If you are travelling with a Railcard discounted Ticket and are unable to present the Railcard when asked by the staff or authorised agents of a Train Company, you will be treated as having joined a train without a valid Ticket and Condition 9 will apply. 8.6. However, if you were unable to present the Railcard because you had forgotten to carry it on that particular journey or mislaid it, the Train Company concerned will refund any fare or Penalty Fare paid in accordance with Condition 10. 8.7. In order to claim such a refund, you will need to contact the customer service department of the Train Company that charged you the additional fare or Penalty Fare, providing the full details of your Railcard, together with the additional Tickets you have purchased or any Penalty Fares notices. A maximum of one such claim will be considered in any 12 month period.

Established Member
If you read the link posted earlier you would have seen this https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/hel...ve-to-buy-a-new-ticket-or-pay-a-penalty-fare/

Not to mention from the NRCOT from which 8.6 seems very relevant
Which both clearly state that if you are issued a new ticket or a penalty fare, then you will be refunded. Doesn't say anything about being a defence to prosecution. Given that I know my own and several other TOCs have successfully prosecuted similar cases since this new condition came in, I doubt you'll get very far with is as a defence, thus, is not relevant.

Thunderlunt

Hey, this is the Author of the OP I have sent off a reply to the rail company 2 weeks ago and have just today gotten a response and to my surprise, I only have to pay £58 as an out-of-court settlement. This is I assume the best outcome of events and has served as a massive wack on the head to make sure that I don't make the dumb mistake again. Just wanted to thank everyone who has given me advice over this whole thing so yh thanks allot guys

Wolfie

Established Member
Hey, this is the Author of the OP I have sent off a reply to the rail company 2 weeks ago and have just today gotten a response and to my surprise, I only have to pay £58 as an out-of-court settlement. This is I assume the best outcome of events and has served as a massive wack on the head to make sure that I don't make the dumb mistake again. Just wanted to thank everyone who has given me advice over this whole thing so yh thanks allot guys
That is a wonderful outcome and suggests that they actually believed your story (or did some checks).

philthetube

Established Member
It would be a lot cheaper to find someone to write a cheque for you, or even ask the bank to do that for you, not sure if they still will though.

Thunderlunt

It would be a lot cheaper to find someone to write a cheque for you, or even ask the bank to do that for you, not sure if they still will though.
It should be all good 2my dad works in a post room and he sends his stuff out with it so ill prolly ask him. but if that is an arse to get done ill defo send the cheque

Haywain

Veteran Member
You’ve got yourself a bargain!

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
That's a good result.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the phone 'number doesn't work'. If you got the 'unobtainable' tone you may have to sort out a cheque or postal order. But if it's just that there was no answer, it could be as simple as there not being anyone there on a Saturday to take your payment. So try again on Monday - maybe between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm.

Thunderlunt

That's a good result.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the phone 'number doesn't work'. If you got the 'unobtainable' tone you may have to sort out a cheque or postal order. But if it's just that there was no answer, it could be as simple as there not being anyone there on a Saturday to take your payment. So try again on Monday - maybe between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm.
yeah, it's like when I call them the number goes to voicemail so yh. Pretty sure it's probably not going to work till Monday since it's Saturday so ill probably wait till Monday and give them a ring prolly faster than postal order

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Might also be cheaper than a Postal Order. The poundage fee on a £58 postal order will be something like an additional £7.25 and you'll also need a 66p/85p stamp on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.