• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formby to/from Dublin Sail Rail Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I'm going to be making some last minute journeys to Dublin and back and have some questions about the Sail Rail tickets to/from Dublin.

I understand the cheapest fare is £38 provided I book by the evening before. I notice some booking engines (Chilitan railways) only offer journeys with Irish ferrys. Are there any engines that offer so Stena as well? My journeys may involve weekend travel so this might work out cheaper then last minute air travel.

I might also add I'd only be looking for booking engines that don't charge fees.

Am I right in saying that Stena treat their customers much better in times of disruption compared to Irish Ferrys?

If the train causes a ferry to be missed, will the other ferry operator accept your ticket if it means a lesser wait for the next ferry? Likewise, if the ferry is cancelled, will the other ferry operator then accept your ticket if it reduces the delay?

When a Sail Rail ticket is booked does that automatically reserve a place on the ferry too or does this need to be done separately?

I understand it is possible to book tickets from Dublin to UK at the £38 rate provided these can be collected before travel. However if booking within Ireland I understand booking at least the day before avoids a suppliment.

I see Irish Ferrys charge a 3 Euro booking fee too. Is there a way of booking in Ireland to avoid this? Likewise, is there a way to book Sail Rail for use on Stena Within Ireland?

I'm trying to work out if its actually cheaper to get the outward leg in GBP and the return in EUR or if its actually cheaper to get both legs booked in GBP.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

Are there any engines that offer Stena as well?

I think all engines offer either both or neither.

For Irish Ferries, book to "Dublin Ferryport" or "DUBLIN FYPT IF". For Stena Line, book to "Dublin Port - Stena" or "DUBLINPORT STENA"

Am I right in saying that Stena treat their customers much better

Yes - the two are like chalk and cheese in that respect.

If the train causes a ferry to be missed, will the other ferry operator accept your ticket if it means a lesser wait for the next ferry? Likewise, if the ferry is cancelled, will the other ferry operator then accept your ticket if it reduces the delay?

No direct experience of disruption myself but from what I've heard:

Stena Line will organise for Irish Ferries to take you, and even keep check-in open a little later if you phone ahead.

Irish Ferries will generally close check-in at the normal time and make you wait for their next sailing that takes foot passengers, even if there's an earlier Stena (or Irish Ferries vehicle-only) sailing.

When a Sail Rail ticket is booked does that automatically reserve a place on the ferry too or does this need to be done separately?

Yes, it's automatic.

I understand it is possible to book tickets from Dublin to UK at the £38 rate provided these can be collected before travel. However if booking within Ireland I understand booking at least the day before avoids a suppliment.

With Irish Ferries, you need the physical tickets or you pay again. It's a nice little earner for them.

With Stena Line, they'll allow you to travel on your booking confirmation and collect the tickets in Holyhead.

You're correct about the €6 supplement for same day bookings.

I see Irish Ferrys charge a 3 Euro booking fee too. Is there a way of booking in Ireland to avoid this?

Yes, travel with Stena Line instead. Or try to buy them in person at Connolly Station, but you run the risk of being told to phone Irish Ferries if the person is too lazy to issue them.

Is there a way to book Sail Rail for use on Stena Within Ireland?

By telephone on +353 1 907 5388 or +44 1407 606666

I'm trying to work out if its actually cheaper to get the outward leg in GBP and the return in EUR or if its actually cheaper to get both legs booked in GBP.

Very marginally cheaper to book separately with Stena Line, but not enough to be worth the hassle of phoning them.

More expensive with Irish Ferries because of the booking fee.

Last edited:

danm14

You can also buy tickets at the Irish stations listed at the bottom of this page. My experience at Galway in the spring was very positive. The young booking clerk was keen to sell me the ticket and apologised about having to read manual to find out how to do it but said it was the first one he'd sold https://www.irishrail.ie/rail-fares-and-tickets/sailrail-uk-ferry

You should be able to buy tickets at any of the stations on that list. Except that I've never actually succeeded in buying one at any I've tried (admittedly, I never tried Galway). You definitely won't succeed at Longford as the ticket office is "temporarily" closed and has been due to reopen "in a few weeks" since mid 2017.

My experience ranged from "we don't do those here, you'll have to ring up or go down to Dublin" to "we only do them for Irish Ferries, we haven't dealt with Stena in years" to "I know we do them, but I don't know how and the guy that does isn't working today"

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
You should be able to buy tickets at any of the stations on that list. Except that I've never actually succeeded in buying one at any I've tried (admittedly, I never tried Galway). You definitely won't succeed at Longford as the ticket office is "temporarily" closed and has been due to reopen "in a few weeks" since mid 2017.

My experience ranged from "we don't do those here, you'll have to ring up or go down to Dublin" to "we only do them for Irish Ferries, we haven't dealt with Stena in years" to "I know we do them, but I don't know how and the guy that does isn't working today"
I've been out twice this year once with UK ti kets both ways and once with a UK ticket out and an IRTicket back. Both were Irish Ferries out, Stena back. No problems with ticket acceptance or purchase on either railway or ferry and every thing ran to time. I do however get the impression that sailrail customers are actually few and far between.

Flying Snail

Established Member
If for any reason you can't get a ticket beforehand there is no difficulty buying a the port up to close of check-in. If you use the bus service they will process everyone even if it is less than the 30min listed. If getting there independently best try to be early but Stena at least often still accept people beyond the cut-off time.

kevconnor

depending where your travelling to/from in Ireland you use to be able to book online with stena and collect at Dublin port.

If travelling with stena don’t forget they run the free bus service to coincide with the ferry from Dublin to north wall. I think from harcourt st but you would need to check.

danm14

depending where your travelling to/from in Ireland you use to be able to book online with stena and collect at Dublin port.

In Ireland, SailRail with Stena Line can only be booked in person or by phone, not online. Unless you use a UK site and pay the Sterling fare.

If travelling with stena don’t forget they run the free bus service to coincide with the ferry from Dublin to north wall. I think from harcourt st but you would need to check.

The bus hasn't been free for many years. It leaves from outside BoyleSports on Westmoreland Street on the journey to the port. The return journey also stops at Connolly Station and (for a €1 supplement) Heuston Station.

It's €3.50 single, or €6 return (valid for six days, which catches a lot of people out - almost as if they want this to happen).

The bus is meant to be free with a ticket to an Irish Rail destination according to Stena Line, but this won't be honoured.

The drivers are almost all pig ignorant, so just pay without protest if the ticket is refused. If you argue the point, even perfectly politely, there's a significant chance you'll be accused of threatening behaviour and refused carriage even if you offer to pay.

Both the Stena staff member and the taxi driver who took me to Connolly told me I was far from the first person this happened to.

gray1404

Established Member
Is this bus the only or indeed the cheapest bus to/from the ferry terminal? It sounds like it is worth avoiding at all costs.

danm14

Is this bus the only or indeed the cheapest bus to/from the ferry terminal? It sounds like it is worth avoiding at all costs.

It's an extremely begrudging, unfriendly service from both my experience and what I've read/heard - but not necessarily worth avoiding at all costs - if you're simply paying your fare there'll be no opportunity for an issue.

Morton's bus is the only bus to the Stena Line terminal. The Irish Ferries terminal is served by both Morton's and Dublin Bus Route 53. The two terminals are ten minutes walk apart.

Dublin Bus 53 costs €2.15 cash or €1.55 with a Leap card each way.

Morton's bus costs €3.50 single, €6 six day return, with a €1 supplement for travel to Heuston Station.

Dublin Bus timetable: https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/53/

Morton's timetable: http://www.mortonscoaches.ie/

Flying Snail

Established Member

It is generally people with national rail tickets expecting (correctly or not) to be carried for free and people offering £ to pay the fare that have aggro from the Mortons drivers.

I have seen people both allowed on and point blank refused with rail tickets, it depends on the individual driver.

The fault in this is mainly with the ferry companies who both contract Mortons to run the bus, it is not a normal scheduled service. Both companies should make the policy with through sail rail tickets clear, either allow or disallow it and have the drivers instructed properly.
None of which excuses the attitude that some of the drivers display, a simple printed notice on board stating what their policy is would clear up all the confusion and cut out most of the aggro.

Up to a few years ago Dublin Bus ran the Irish Ferries contract and their drivers were better informed about the validity of through sailrail tickets but there were still regular disagreements over it, Irish ferries switched to Mortons so they now run the shuttles for both ferry operators.

To be clear the remaining Dublin Bus service is a scheduled local service and does not connect with outgoing sailings or wait past it's scheduled departure for arriving passengers, it does not accept sailrail at all and like all normal Dublin Bus services only takes exact fare in € coins or leap card payment.

Un-booked taxis do sporadically appear at the ferry terminals at arrivals times but cannot be counted on to be there. The Freenow https://free-now.com (formerly My Taxi) app is by far the most widely used in Dublin and is the best alternative if you don't want or can't use the bus, Uber is restricted in Ireland so it only works with taxis and is less popular with taxi drivers than freenow and as they both use the regulated taxi fares no matter how you get one the fares will be similar.

As there is no bus to meet the Stena 23.45 arrival or 02.15 departues Taxis are the only option (I really wouldn't recommend walking to Dublin Port, it is a very long way down deserted industrial roads) which is especially frustrating as the 02.15 is a much better option than the late evening sailings that lave passengers with long waits in Holyhead for the first train in the morning.

gray1404

Established Member
So it sounds like the best option is to use Stena as they treat their passengers better and not to even try using a Sail Rail ticket on the bus. Simply use the Mortons bus but have the fare ready to pay.

Do they give change or must the exact amount be given?

danm14

It is generally people with national rail tickets expecting (correctly or not) to be carried for free

As far as I'm aware the official policy is:

Tickets to/from Dublin should never be valid on the bus.

UK National Rail tickets to/from places other than Dublin should always be valid on the bus (to the appropriate station).

Irish handwritten tickets to/from places other than Dublin are valid on the bus if issued by Stena Line, but not if issued by Irish Ferries.

Of course, this won't be followed, and the chances of them being accepted are slim.

Do they give change or must the exact amount be given?

Morton's will accept notes and give change.

Dublin Bus you need the exact fare in coins.

You can use a Leap Card on both (60c discount with Dublin Bus, no discount with Morton's)

paul1609

Established Member
To be honest (and no offence intended) things in the irish Republic aren't really as well organised as they would be in the UK and most of mainland europe. Expect organisation that you might find in a third world african country and you will find your expectations exceeded.
By the way many of the irish country inter city routes don't have any sort of AWS/ Tpws/ATC and rely soley on drivers observing the signal also!

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for all your advise guys. This all seams clear now. I shall stick to Stena. Although I might not be able to book the outward journey until the day before, I shall know at that point when I shall be coming home so shall book both tickets online then at at the GBP rate. That way I can ensure I have both sets of tickets before travel. (I shall have to travel via a station with a TVM that offers collection on the day of travel and have a travel pass to cover me for that bit).

One final thing, if I have understood this correctly.

If Irish Ferries are delayed/cancelled they expect you to wait until their next ferry that takes foot passengers. Whereas Stena would try and accommodate you with IF if this was sooner.

However, if the TRAIN element is delayed arriving at Holyhead when heading to Dublin, are you expected to wait until the next ferry of the company you are booked with regardless or are you allowed to switch ferry operators there if there is a sooner service?

Also, for delay repay purposes, could you claim against the train company based on your final arrival time at Dublin Port and will they pay out based on the value of the ticket? I am assuming if the ferry is delayed then delay repay doesn't apply but rather the EU regulations regarding ferry delays?

gray1404

Established Member
One final thing, when I book the Sail Rail ticket online does this send the details to Stena and I have a foot passenger reservation? If that in my name on their system or is it simply it blocks out a space and my Sail Rail ticket (and I assume counted place reservation ticket) that secures the place on the ferry?

I ask this because I know with Sail Rail bookings I've done to the Isle of Man, I've had to make a separate phone call to the IOM Steam Packet Company to be booked as a foot passenger onto the ferry.

Thanks!

Djgr

Established Member
To be honest (and no offence intended) things in the irish Republic aren't really as well organised as they would be in the UK and most of mainland europe. Expect organisation that you might find in a third world african country and you will find your expectations exceeded.
By the way many of the irish country inter city routes don't have any sort of AWS/ Tpws/ATC and rely soley on drivers observing the signal also!
Ha. If I were Irish I would be mightily offended! What I would say is that whatever Irish Railways lose in technological development they more than make up by NOT having being broken up into a million disjointed pieces and flogged off to sundry bandits.

danm14

One final thing, when I book the Sail Rail ticket online does this send the details to Stena and I have a foot passenger reservation? If that in my name on their system or is it simply it blocks out a space and my Sail Rail ticket (and I assume counted place reservation ticket) that secures the place on the ferry?

I ask this because I know with Sail Rail bookings I've done to the Isle of Man, I've had to make a separate phone call to the IOM Steam Packet Company to be booked as a foot passenger onto the ferry.

Thanks!

You definitely don't need to contact anyone to make a reservation, just buy the ticket. You are indeed given a counted place reservation coupon.

To the best of my knowledge Stena aren't actually provided with your name or any other information - but you can rest assured there's definitely a space on the ferry for you and everyone else holding a SailRail ticket.

The ship won't be at full capacity unless there's another volcanic ash cloud or a special event that's caused excessive passenger numbers.

If you somehow arrived for the wrong sailing, or had no reservation coupon at all, or even travelled on the wrong day you'd still almost certainly have a space.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
Ha. If I were Irish I would be mightily offended! What I would say is that whatever Irish Railways lose in technological development they more than make up by NOT having being broken up into a million disjointed pieces and flogged off to sundry bandits.
From my limited exposure I would say that the fragmented railway industry in the UK has higher safety and engineering standards.

Djgr

Established Member
From my limited exposure I would say that the fragmented railway industry in the UK has higher safety and engineering standards.

Not sure that will get you very far if you are trying to get a connection held between TOCs.

So how many passenger train accidents have there been on Irish Rail in the last decade? The last accident where there was a fatality was 1991. So I'm not sure that it is at all appropriate to suggest that Great Britain offers a better regime.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure that will get you very far if you are trying to get a connection held between TOCs.

So how many passenger train accidents have there been on Irish Rail in the last decade? The last accident where there was a fatality was 1991. So I'm not sure that it is at all appropriate to suggest that Great Britain offers a better regime.

Given that annual passenger numbers in Ireland are about 2.7% of the UK figure....

Status
Not open for further replies.