• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former LM Class 321s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carntyne

The 4 cars are for the E&G route. NB has had platform extended so will be able to take 2x3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's been seven since early March when 319455 was transferred to LM as the last of the batch. I posted it in the LM 319 thread at the time.

I think despite the doom and gloom it had always been intended to be 7 once they became available.

gsnedders

Established Member
The problem there is that freeing up 380s doesn't directly increase capacity on the routes which need it most during the tunnel works. The 334s work primarily on services from Helensburgh and Milngavie to Edinburgh, which have now become the main Glasgow to Edinburgh service, and they're the only trains which can be used on those services. A few 334s are normally free to run other services through the low level stations but these will now be used to strengthen the A-B service. The LM 320/4s can expand the 318/320 fleet by enough to cover the 334s on these extra services.

Once the tunnel works are complete the 320/4s probably represent the only increase in capacity on the North Electrics service until the Mk3 EMUs need replaced. They'll be able to free up 334s for A-B duties well into the future and they may be necessary for the 4tph service to Cumbernauld.

380s are cleared for at least the Argyle Line, and ran on it during the Commonwealth Games, in both three and four car sets. That would free things up for the North Clyde Line.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
380s are cleared for at least the Argyle Line, and ran on it during the Commonwealth Games, in both three and four car sets. That would free things up for the North Clyde Line.

I've heard that the traction electrics are meant to be cooled by the air rushing past, and doing stop-start in the tunnels isn't good for them. In any case, the Commonwealth Games service was exceptional and didn't consist of a normal Argyle Line timetable, so they wouldn't be much use elsewhere. They aren't able to double up either, so the additional capacity they would bring would be extremely minimal.

Carntyne

They're cleared but replacing 6 car sets with 4 cars at best won't help on the North Clyde. Hence the additional 320 units brought it.

hibtastic

The 4 cars are for the E&G route. NB has had platform extended so will be able to take 2x3.

Thanks I didnt know that - I just assumed that NB's would remain 1 x 4car sets. I take it 2 x 3car will be peak only?

Kite159

Veteran Member
It was quite odd seeing the two London Overground liveryied 321s at Doncaster where the old 460 luggage vans were yesterday

CC 72100

Established Member
It was quite odd seeing the two London Overground liveryied 321s at Doncaster where the old 460 luggage vans were yesterday

Indeed - I also noted that the second coach of one of the 321s had a slightly different livery. It was difficult to describe but it was 'darker' and had more banding around the windows.

387star

On Moderation
It's been seven since early March when 319455 was transferred to LM as the last of the batch. I posted it in the LM 319 thread at the time.

I think despite the doom and gloom it had always been intended to be 7 once they became available.

319013/220/429/441/455/457/460 the magic seven

Only 319216 is in the lm livery the other three from the first lot are in grey

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I've heard that the traction electrics are meant to be cooled by the air rushing past, and doing stop-start in the tunnels isn't good for them. In any case, the Commonwealth Games service was exceptional and didn't consist of a normal Argyle Line timetable, so they wouldn't be much use elsewhere. They aren't able to double up either, so the additional capacity they would bring would be extremely minimal.

Why can't the 380s double up? Would two coupled together be too long for platforms (presumably there's no form of SDO available)?

Can't see how that can be the case with the cooling on the 380s as (at least SWTs Desiros), you can hear a fan operating at low speeds

sng7

Why can't the 380s double up? Would two coupled together be too long for platforms (presumably there's no form of SDO available)?

Can't see how that can be the case with the cooling on the 380s as (at least SWTs Desiros), you can hear a fan operating at low speeds

The 320/321 fleet has 20 m carriges as opposed to 23m for the 380s, so over a 6 carrige train it would be 18m longer so a 6 car 380 would be nearly the length of a 7 car 320/321, although SDO might be possible the train would be too long for pretty much all the stations making the last carriage unusable as it would be off the platform in most places which would make it a bad use of capacity.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The 320/321 fleet has 20 m carriges as opposed to 23m for the 380s, so over a 6 carrige train it would be 18m longer so a 6 car 380 would be nearly the length of a 7 car 320/321, although SDO might be possible the train would be too long for pretty much all the stations making the last carriage unusable as it would be off the platform in most places which would make it a bad use of capacity.

How much of the last coach would be sticking past the end of the platform?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
How much of the last coach would be sticking past the end of the platform?

Scotland Region's platform lengths are freely available online, pick a station, work out train length and then subtract that from platform length.

Hyndland (Down) is 128m and IBM is 124m so they would have 10m and 14m (approx) off the end of the platform.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
In the long run, I think the North Clyde Line will be run by 23m EMUs. The amount of work required to allow them would be perfectly manageable as part of a programme to introduce a new fleet of trains, but it would be too much to do for the sake of allowing a few more trains to run. There's plenty more capacity that could be had by running all peak trains as 6 carriages and if more trains are needed to make that happen, there's no shortage of Mk3 EMUs available across Great Britain that could be converted to Strathclyde standard (like the 321/4s).

SC318250

The 380s operate with 7 carriages on Ayrshire line where some platforms are shorter. Lochwinnoch being one

SDO or some form of it is used wherrby the last coach or back 2 coaches the doors remained closed

mbreckers

I was one 320412 today, and what appeared to be a new CIS system had been installed. However, there is some debate on facebook as whether it is new or not.

It certainly appears to be newer that the rest of the systems on the train, but I am told that it is the existing LM CIS, which is being removed for ScotRails.

Can anyone clarify?

(Sorry for potato quality)

5gtqXkq.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Absolutely no CIS under LM. Could possibly be the same as the GE/NXEA installed system on the eastern though

causton

Established Member
I really love autocorrect sometimes. :lol:

I have heard the phrase before (i.e. "sorry for any slow replies, currently using a potato to browse the internet") so may have been intended! :lol:

Can confirm it looks familiar as the NXEA (etc) PIS, but have conferred to someone else who also says they do not remember any of these screens being installed when they were here at LM!

Status
Not open for further replies.