• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Night EPS coach at Wabtec Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnshire

Does anyone know what the former European Passenger Night Stock coach is going to be used for at Wabtec at Doncaster?

It must be a few years old now and if it was a car a very low mileage vehicle indeed with just one previous owner. How much more stock is left over then from this failed project.

Another of the dropped goolies of the government, all that rolling stock built, all the platform edges moved for stock clearance on the East Coast mainline for the trains to run and nothing happened, just cost the taxpayers again as usual.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I presume what you have seen is one of the five generator vans that were converted from redundant mark 3 sleepers to provide power to the Nightstar trains when they were operating off the wires. Specifically, you'll have seen 96374, formerly sleeper 10585, which has been in store at Doncaster for quite a while now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_adams/6326432806/

The generator vans were intended to be sandwiched between a pair of the class 37/6s on non-electrified routes. As far as I know, they are the only items of former Nightstar coaching stock to remain in the UK. All five of the generator vans are officially withdrawn awaiting disposal, with one at Doncaster, one at Wembley and three in store at Long Marston.

GNERman

Established Member
I think they have used the generator from inside and are/have put it inside a Mark 3 DVT (Chiltern)...

theblackwatch

Established Member
I believe one of the plans for 96374 was to use it for ETS testing during the Mk. 4 overhaul programme, but this never actually happened.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I think they have used the generator from inside and are/have put it inside a Mark 3 DVT (Chiltern)...

I think the generator from this van would be rather overkill for the Chiltern DVT's needs really....

Doesn't it have an ETS index of ~100?

Aictos

Established Member
I'm positive that the coach is used by Wabtec for ETS testing refurbished rolling stock - I'm sure there was a article in one of the railway magazines very recently which actually captioned a photo it.

Alternating

The Nightstar generator was considered in the very early days of the Chiltern DVT concept but was discarded as totally unsuitable. If I remember rightly, it's the wrong voltage, way over size and installation would have meant taking the roof off - something we went a long way round to avoid! Although that's how they went into the Nightstars, it would have been a nightMARE on the DVT!

Status
Not open for further replies.