• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

RichT54

I hate all these artificial attempts to increase overtaking, including DRS, high degradation tyres and enforced refuelling. I would far rather see races won by the drivers' skill than by strategists any day.

I thought that several of the rule changes to do with aerodynamics being introduced for 2021 were intended to make it easier for cars to follow each other and to overtake? Perhaps they should be given a chance to see what effect they have before considering adding any more strategy based changes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
The difference being that there's no way to design tires that will last a whole GP but it is more that possible to get full distance on a single tank.

It is very possible to make tyres that'll last the full distance. It may not be as fast, nor as exciting because they won't drop off a cliff, but it's eminently feasible. Double stinting tyres is pretty common in endurance racing, and taking Spa24 as an example (because the cars there are wearing Pirellis), that's 130 minutes of racing (~54 laps, 378km)

Now obviously the tyres on an F1 car are getting worked harder than those on a GT3 car, but it's certainly not implausible to have tyres that'll last a race distance. Hell, F1 had "race distance" tyres back in 2005, and the only notable case that came from that was Kimi's incident at the nurburging where a flatspot destroyed his suspension which led to them allowing free pitstops if the tyres had become dangerous!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
It is very possible to make tyres that'll last the full distance. It may not be as fast, nor as exciting because they won't drop off a cliff, but it's eminently feasible.
Okay, true. That was an overstatement. You can't make tires that'll safely give you exciting racing for full distance.

najaB

Veteran Member
I hate all these artificial attempts to increase overtaking, including DRS, high degradation tyres and enforced refuelling. I would far rather see races won by the drivers' skill than by strategists any day.
I don't know - the combination of driver and team makes F1 more interesting to me than other forms of racing.

D365

Veteran Member
I would far rather see races won by the drivers' skill than by strategists any day.

Driving and strategy has always gone hand in hand (and will always). It's a team sport and not just an athlete's sport, don't forget.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
On leaving the tunnel it is possible to carry on in an almost straight line and rejoin the course further down rather than have that chicane

It isn't. Or not without pulling all the trees down anyway. The chicane used to be a fast left-right kink but the bus-stop style chicane was brought in for safety reasons.

But it would be in Monaco and F1's interest to make overtaking there easier

I'm not sure I agree. A spirited defence is much more exciting than an easy overtake. Mansell v Senna in 92 was brilliant to watch.

The difference being that there's no way to design tires that will last a whole GP but it is more that possible to get full distance on a single tank.

Back in 2005 we had refuelling but the tyres had to last the full race distance. It didn't improve the show.

The current higher-deg tyres were brought in because of the excitement in Canada a few years ago. It improved the show for a bit but a) teams started to get used to them and b) tyre failures, especially at Silverstone, meant Pirelli and the FIA had to row back from their original intention.

Managing tyres and fuel has always been an important part of F1 racing. And as Leclerc found out in Singapore, if you drive too slowly everyone behind you beats you in the pit lane.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Yeah, I realised that what I wrote didn't match what I was thinking. :)

I know what you meant- you can't make a set of tires that will allow you to do a GP distance flat out.

F1's always been about strategy. As Lauda said, the aim is to win going as slowly as possible.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Sebastian Vettel is apparently leaving Ferrari at the end of 2020
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1259973006702661637?s=20
Contract renewal talks between Ferrari & Vettel came to a halt without reaching a new deal. Both sides agreed to part ways after 2020 according to our information. AMuS (in German):

Sebastian Vettel has to look for a new employer after the 2020 season. According to information from auto motor und sport, the contract negotiations with Ferrari have failed. For Heppenheimer, the signs are goodbye.
L is have Ferrari team boss struggled Mattia Binotto and Sebastian Vettel to a new contract. But now the talks with the four-time world champion apparently ended without results. According to information from auto motor und sport, it was not possible to agree on a new deal. The separation could be officially announced on Tuesday (May 12th).
The current three-year contract with the 32-year-old expires at the end of the 2020 season. From Italy it was recently heard again and again that Ferrari had offered the pilot from Heppenheim an extension, but apparently the conditions for continued employment were not good enough from Vettel's point of view.

Farewell without a Ferrari title?
The reasons for the failure of the contract poker can only be speculated. Vettel allegedly aimed for a longer term for the new working paper. Discussions also included a reduction in salary envisaged by Ferrari. In the end, the differences obviously could not be bridged.

After the fifth season in red overalls with many low points, confidence on the part of Vettel was also somewhat broken. The desired first title with Ferrari was never really within reach. In addition, newcomer Charles Leclerc often disrespected in between, without the team leadership slowing down the Monegasque.

Now the paths of Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel will separate after the 2020 season. The German celebrated 14 victories in 101 races for the Scuderia. Even though he could take many Tifosi to heart with his open and honest manner, Vettel was unable to achieve his big goal and to follow in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher.

Without options there is only withdrawal
It is doubtful whether Vettel will still have a Formula 1 life after Ferrari after the separation. The options for the seasoned do not look rosy. As long as Lewis Hamilton drives at Mercedes, the silver arrow door is locked. The way to Red Bull would be open, but Vettel will certainly not want to do an internal duel with Max Verstappen.

There was also speculation about a move to McLaren because team boss Andreas Seidl had worked with Vettel in the old BMW days. But this solution is also extremely unlikely. McLaren corporate boss Zak Brown recently called for a budget cap cut to $ 100 million. There is no place for a four-time world champion with corresponding salary expectations.

In addition, Vettel certainly does not want to play the construction assistant at this point in his career. The father of three had recently indicated in a video conference that a change of team was no longer up for discussion. So fans must be happy with the idea that the Formula 1 circus will make its rounds without Vettel from 2021.

Who will be the new Leclerc teammate?
The only question that remains to be clarified is who will inherit Vettel from Ferrari? One of the candidates is definitely Daniel Ricciardo, who has repeatedly emphasized his affection for the Maranello team. Lewis Hamilton is also an option as long as the champion has not yet signed with Mercedes. Both sides have already admitted that the first informal meeting has already taken place.

In the end, however, Carlos Sainz could win the race. The Spaniard made a brilliant impression at McLaren last season. With consistently strong performances, the Madrilene secured sixth place in the drivers' championship, proving that he has higher ambitions. Switching to Ferrari would not be a surprise.

The junior drivers from the Ferrari Academy, on the other hand, should not have any great hopes for a promotion. Mick Schumacher, Robert Shwartzmann or Marcus Armstrong have yet to prove that they have what it takes for the premier class. A rise in the factory team would certainly be too early in 2021.

In the gallery we show you again the pictures of Sebastian Vettel's career - from karting talent from Heppenheim to the world-famous four-time champion.

Rumors from yesterday had him in talks with Renault.

RailWonderer

Established Member
And it's been officially confirmed now. I personally can't see seb going to another team after this, I think he'll be retiring
Seconded. F1 has simply moved on with a young generation of drivers at McLaren and Renault so there isn't a place for him, and I suspect that is why Alsonso will find it hard to return to a sport that has shifted just like it did back around the millennium when Alesi, Hakkinen, Irvine all retired and Massa, Alonso, Raikkonen and Button all arrived within year of each other. The sport has always worked that way and it's the natural order.

Non Multi

Leaves the opportunity open to go to Ferrari for Hamilton and probably end his F1 career there.

Non Multi

Not happening. Lewis will stay at Mercedes until Toto leaves for Aston Martin.
*Every* racing driver wants a stint with Enzo's team. Hamilton can win races with a rubbish car (see 2009).

Unless Hamilton's already signed a new contract, he'll surely use the vacant Ferrari seat to negotiate an even better deal with Mercedes, even if he's just after more titles at Brackley.

JohnMcL7

It is very possible to make tyres that'll last the full distance. It may not be as fast, nor as exciting because they won't drop off a cliff, but it's eminently feasible. Double stinting tyres is pretty common in endurance racing, and taking Spa24 as an example (because the cars there are wearing Pirellis), that's 130 minutes of racing (~54 laps, 378km)

Now obviously the tyres on an F1 car are getting worked harder than those on a GT3 car, but it's certainly not implausible to have tyres that'll last a race distance. Hell, F1 had "race distance" tyres back in 2005, and the only notable case that came from that was Kimi's incident at the nurburging where a flatspot destroyed his suspension which led to them allowing free pitstops if the tyres had become dangerous!

You're right to highlight endurance racing with the LMP1 hybrids are much closer to F1 cars producing over 1000bhp and powering all four wheels but can manage long stints on their tyres without large drop offs, it was pre-hybrid but the old LMP1's were still quick and the winning Audi drive managed five stints on a tyre covering 466 miles:

The tyre degradation in F1 is entirely deliberate and Pirelli have produced the tyre that was requested which was intended to create more exciting racing which clearly hasn't worked and I wonder why Pirelli stick with it because it makes their brand look awful. There was a column a few years back by Coulthard who said the drivers are frustrated with the tyres but they're not allowed to speak out against the tyres and those that have driven the LMP1's have been amazed at how hard they can push the tyres and they continue to work well rather than falling apart.

Speaking about young and old drivers it's been fascinating to see what's been happening with the lockdown and no real races, some of the young drivers doing a great job promoting virtual racing and keeping interest in F1 particularly Lando Norris while the older drivers have pretty much disappeared for now.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
The tyre degradation in F1 is entirely deliberate and Pirelli have produced the tyre that was requested which was intended to create more exciting racing which clearly hasn't worked and I wonder why Pirelli stick with it because it makes their brand look awful.

I seem to recall they did make super-durable tyres that the drivers could push on for one year (2017, along with the introduction of the faster turbo-hybrids I think?) , but everyone was moaning about how almost every race became a predictable one stop so they went back to the cliff edge tyres. I don't think it makes their brand look awful, because most people make the connection that the F1 tyres are nothing like their road tyres, but it does get their name plastered all over the TV for a couple of hours every week

najaB

Veteran Member
Formula 1: Ferrari to sign Carlos Sainz as Daniel Ricciardo set for McLaren
Carlos Sainz is poised to replace Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari with Daniel Ricciardo set to take the Spaniard's seat at McLaren.

Talks to seal the two moves are ongoing and no final agreements have been reached, but they are expected to be concluded and announced this week.

McLaren have been chasing Ricciardo for some time and his signing is a coup.

But they must release Sainz from his contractual obligations before signing the Australian.

Sainz had been in negotiations to stay with McLaren beyond 2020 but the appeal of joining a top team has convinced him to move.
Interesting.

Enthusiast

Bad career move from Sainz if true.
But don't all F1 drivers (for some inexplicable reason) aspire to drive the red cars?

I can't see Sainz winning too many races with McLaren in the foreseeable future but I can see him sneaking a podium or two with Ferrari (provided Leclerc is out of the running, that is).

Domh245

Established Member
And it's now confirmed that Danny Ric will be at McLaren and Sainz at Ferrari,

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I don't know - the combination of driver and team makes F1 more interesting to me than other forms of racing.
Precisely. I really miss F1 - don't have in the USA. However, sorry for slightly OT - Drag racing is exciting. But I agree with the comments - driver skill, strategy and car design all should be factors imho. It is why I love F1

JohnMcL7

I seem to recall they did make super-durable tyres that the drivers could push on for one year (2017, along with the introduction of the faster turbo-hybrids I think?) , but everyone was moaning about how almost every race became a predictable one stop so they went back to the cliff edge tyres. I don't think it makes their brand look awful, because most people make the connection that the F1 tyres are nothing like their road tyres, but it does get their name plastered all over the TV for a couple of hours every week

Going by general conversation I don't think a lot of people realise that the tyres are designed to be that way and instead are critical of Pirelli for making such flimsy tyre that quickly fall apart. I was going to say other tyre companies are able to boast about their tyre performance with other racing series but then to be fair, those series allowing development and improvement whereas F1 technology is largely stagnant.