• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Awful news from Italy about Alex Zanardi.

ROME — Paralympic champion Alex Zanardi was seriously injured again in a handbike crash Friday, nearly 19 years after losing both of his legs in a horrific auto racing accident.

Zanardi was transported by helicopter to Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena following an incident near the Tuscan town of Pienza during a national race for Paralympic athletes, police told The Associated Press. He reportedly suffered severe head trauma.

A medical bulletin from the hospital said Zanardi underwent “a delicate neurosurgery operation.” His condition was “very serious” due to “severe cranial trauma.” Mutliple outlets reported Zanardi was out of surgery and had been transferred to intensive care by late Friday night.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Even before his CART crash he was a hero of mine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

He's an incredible individual and I was amazed at his performance in the BMW WTCC car then he did so well in the Paralympics. This crash is terrible news and hope he can make it through.

Mercedes has sent a bolt out the blue, with the announcement of a Black Livery for 2020 in support of diversity and anti-racism and pledging publicly to diversify there work force; from the 3% from Minorities and 12% of Women that it currently stands at.

1593430471290.png

Domh245

Established Member
Ooh, I like that. A good showing from Merc, not only the 'we race as one' which is on all the cars, but a fundamental livery change from them away from their traditional colours is a big commitment!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Oof, that looks Good!

I imagine Lewis had some say in all of that. I've been impressed with the way he's handled himself recently.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It does look really good, however I would like a bit more silver in it (maybe dark chrome). I do hope it's not cursed like their white livery for Hockenhiem.

traji00

Maybe they should just drop the "silver" part though thats almost Arrows which didn't exactly have a glittering F1 history, even if it kind of morphed into the team now know as AlphaTauri.
Slight correction there: it was Minardi which ended up as AlphaTauri (née Torro Rosso).

The final Arrows cars were bought by the Super Aguri team for their inaugural season in 2006.

PG

Established Member
Slight correction there: it was Minardi which ended up as AlphaTauri (née Torro Rosso).

The final Arrows cars were bought by the Super Aguri team for their inaugural season in 2006.
I was under the, perhaps mistaken, belief that although Super Aguri got the final Arrows cars (and raced them) Minardi gained the intellectual property rights including the design of the following years Arrows car.

traji00

I was under the, perhaps mistaken, belief that although Super Aguri got the final Arrows cars (and raced them) Minardi gained the intellectual property rights including the design of the following years Arrows car.
My apologies, I stand corrected.

Domh245

Established Member
First quali session of the year done, and some surprises in that session for sure!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Biggest upset of the season has to be Ferrari. Only 1 Ferrari powered car made it into Q3 and Charles was beaten by a McLaren and a Racing point. Biggest surprise are Renault, who have 3 cars in the top 10. Lando had a flyer of a quali!

Happy Race Day! Also must give an honourable mention to Britain's Callum Ilott; the 21 year old from Cambridge, who clinched the Formula 2 Opener yesterday! The Ferrari Young Driver's Academy did his job superbly.

Butts

Veteran Member
Mercedes has sent a bolt out the blue, with the announcement of a Black Livery for 2020 in support of diversity and anti-racism and pledging publicly to diversify there work force; from the 3% from Minorities and 12% of Women that it currently stands at.

View attachment 80139

Colour reminds me of the old "Lotus JPS Car" - Ayrton Senna used to drive in the eighties

John Player Special Cigarettes - who remembers them, used to come in Black Plastic Tubs with 25/50 in.

nlogax

Established Member
Really enjoyed that race, and I have high hopes for the consistent return of McLaren to the podium. Lando drove a fantastic race and the MCL35's reliability was immense during what seemed to be a punishing session for most of the teams.

Can't wait for the Styrian session to see what further mechanical melodramas the Red Bull Ring can conjure up!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What a thoroughly bonkers race. It's good to be back!

Delighted that Lando got his podium, but disappointed in the way he got it. That was never a penalty for Hamilton, that was just a racing accident. Albon was naive to try and hang it round the outside there. Just really annoying when you consider that Max Verstappen gets to play bumper cars every week without penalty or sanction.

Got to say I was impressed with Leclerc, getting a podium despite driving a donkey of a car shows a great deal of talent. He lucked into it, sure, but good to maximise the result from a bad weekend.

John Player Special Cigarettes - who remembers them

Obviously I never smoked (honest mum) and certainly not under the age of 18. If I had smoked, I would have said JPS cigs were horrible.

Butts

Veteran Member
Delighted that Lando got his podium, but disappointed in the way he got it. That was never a penalty for Hamilton, that was just a racing accident. Albon was naive to try and hang it round the outside there. Just really annoying when you consider that Max Verstappen gets to play bumper cars every week without penalty or sanction.

Got to say I was impressed with Leclerc, getting a podium despite driving a donkey of a car shows a great deal of talent. He lucked into it, sure, but good to maximise the result from a bad weekend.

Obviously I never smoked (honest mum) and certainly not under the age of 18. If I had smoked, I would have said JPS cigs were horrible.

JPS were rank...very bitter John Player Blue were not so bad.

I've always been a Benson & Hedges man - Niki Lauda used to drive in a Jordan Peugeot emblazoned with the B&H Livery.

Howardh

Established Member
Certainly was "bonkers" and the height of the bonkers was seeing a tyre racing down the track quicker than the cars! With it being a short season, Max's failure means he is virtually out of the title race already unless Bottas and Hamilton also have DNF's down the line.

Also couldn't see what Hamilton did wrong, he kept to the racing line. Maybe there should be a line in yellow painted onto the track which is the racing line, and any car being overtaken can legitimately stick to that line (ie the centre of the car being above the line) until passed. But you can see that from the cameras? But at least it gave Lando a podium, well done that man and his team!

JamesT

Established Member
Also couldn't see what Hamilton did wrong, he kept to the racing line. Maybe there should be a line in yellow painted onto the track which is the racing line, and any car being overtaken can legitimately stick to that line (ie the centre of the car being above the line) until passed. But you can see that from the cameras? But at least it gave Lando a podium, well done that man and his team!

The racing line isn't an absolute defence. You're not allowed to run people off the road. If the overtaking car is alongside you going round a corner you're obliged to give them a car's width of space, at least under the current rules. If Albon was behind Hamilton then he'd be entitled to shut the door on him, but not when Albon was arguably ahead by the point they hit. Hamilton will argue that he was already committed to that line, but being committed to a line doesn't absolve you of responsibility to not run into someone else.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The racing line isn't an absolute defence. You're not allowed to run people off the road.

Yet Albon did it to Hamilton at the same corner on lap one, and the less said about Max Verstappen playing bumper cars the better.

The decision making just seems so biased. Verstappen in a Red Bull runs Leclerc off the road at the Red Bull Ring and no penalty. Leclerc in a Ferrari runs Hamilton off the road at Monza, same. But that's worth a penalty?

I suppose its one way of stopping Mercedes run away with it...

gswindale

So Fernando Alonso is to make his return to F1 and Renault next year according to various souces

Might make things interesting depending on how Renault manage to develop this year's car in comparison to their rivals.