• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

JohnMcL7

It'd be surprising to see inline engines of whatever length in F1 - Vs are much more suited from a structural view
It was a V4 Porsche were using in Le Mans and given how successful that engine was I could see them wanting to be able to develop that for F1 use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
With all teams having their tyres changed by Kwikfit*. A random number of drivers in each race would find when they stopped that there were only three tyres of the right type available.

*Other tyre companies are available, please insert name of your choice if preferred.
With the drivers being reminded having to get out and check that their wheelnuts are still tight at the end of the pit-lane. I can just imagine Kimi giving it #%&* on the radio :lol:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
With all teams having their tyres changed by Kwikfit*. A random number of drivers in each race would find when they stopped that there were only three tyres of the right type available.

*Other tyre companies are available, please insert name of your choice if preferred.
And they'd all have to retire to have their exhausts brakes and clutches changed which "are definitely shot mate" :lol:

Western Lord

It was a V4 Porsche were using in Le Mans and given how successful that engine was I could see them wanting to be able to develop that for F1 use.
For any given engine size there is an optimum number of cylinders (which has tended to go down over the years). When the current 1.6 litre engines were mandated, most manufacturers would have immediately thought in terms of a four cylinder engine. The FIA took fright at F1 having such mundane sounding units, so specified a V-6 had to be used. Back in the sixties, when between 1961 and 1965, F1 was for 1.5 litre engines most teams used V-8s, Ferrari and Honda built 12 cylinder engines and Coventry Climax built and tested, but did not race, a flat-16. In 1967 Cosworth was building 4 cylinder production block based FVA 1.6 litre engines for the new F2 rules which soon eclipsed the multi cylinder 1.5 litre F1 engines in power output.

Domh245

Established Member
The FIA took fright at F1 having such mundane sounding units, so specified a V-6 had to be used

Not quite - FIA was pushing for 4 pots in an attempt to persuade Volkswagen to join but current manufacturers (specifically Ferrari) rejected these, and the compromise V6 was introduced. FIA have been setting highly prescriptive engine regulations since the V10 era at least, setting out bore/stroke dimensions, V-angles, fuel flows and the rest of it. There's surprisingly little freedom for the teams, at least in terms of "high level" details around the engine

It'll be interesting to see what they choose to put in their LMDh car, as that'll give a clear indication of where their priorities lie as a company. The V4 is a pretty old engine by now, they'd almost certainly start again from a clean sheet

greatvoyager

Established Member
Unfortunately the plan is to have qualifying for the sprint race on the Friday - which cuts into practice time. I would prefer that they did something radical like a reverse grid based on points.
I’m going to be optimistic and keep an open mind, no one will know for sure if it’s good or not until it is tried.

greatvoyager

Established Member
That's true. And it's better to innovate and find that it doesn't work than not to try at all.
Also probably better to try it out at selected events than to change the format for every race before the start of the season.

D365

Veteran Member
Just came here to echo the above. A sad day to know that he has gone. RIP

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
F1 was never quite the same when Murray Walker retired. I'm saddened to hear that he's gone :(

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A sad day. Murray’s commentary was a part of my childhood, and adulthood if I’m being honest! I’m not sure I’d have been an F1 fan without him.

One interesting Murray Walker fact, he was responsible for much railway advertising. He worked in a senior role in advertising until his 60s as well as covering F1. One of his accounts was BR, and he was in charge of the “We’re getting there” campaign, or “This is the Age of the Train” and possibly both.

"Looks through a completely clean windscreen" as the car goes off track into the banking.

"This will be Michael Schumacher 48th Grand Prix victory in his 150th year."

RIP Murray

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Murray Walker was on board the QE2 when I was on board in September 2002; I spent the whole week trying to get him in the background of a photo but without any luck, and I didn't want to approach him as I considered him off duty and on holiday.

Four months later, I got given his autobiography as a Christmas present.

In it, he wrote that he did a lot of cruises and enjoyed being recognised. I could have just waled up to him and asked for a photo if I'd known that earlier! :rolleyes:

jfollows

Established Member
F1 was never quite the same when Murray Walker retired. I'm saddened to hear that he's gone :(
I breathed a sigh of relief when he retired, I could not stand listening to his commentary to the extent that I had to mute the sound. Nothing against the man, he just wasn't the commentator for me!

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
I breathed a sigh of relief, I could not stand listening to his commentary to the extent that I had to mute the sound. Nothing against the man, he just wasn't the commentator for me!
He could often be quite annoying its true, his double act with James Hunt was great though.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Having seen pictures of the cars in action, I think the best looking one is the Alpine, in terms of livery.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
RIP Murray Walker.

this popped up, demonstrating his ability to commentate on at least one other sport:

D365

Veteran Member
Mazepin doing his best to get on side with the other drivers... not!