• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Howardh

Established Member
Bit of a strange idea to be honest.

In ye olde days (well the 80s anyway) only the best results counted so someone who ground out minor places would be penalised in favour of someone who went all out to win
I remember something like that, but didn't it become confusing for the lay spectator?

Maybe we should start the season with 22 drivers and then 1/3 through we lose the bottom four, and 2/3 the next bottom four so there is relegation interest - and the final 14 are the "best" drivers battling for the final places?

Anyhow I thought it was best when it was 10 for a win, then (I think?) 8, 6 > 1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trash80

Established Member
I think a pole position bonus would only work if they went back to the old style of qualifying where there was a set hour and people could do their laps any time. Otherwise it'd just be the same few cars getting the bonuses, with the old qualifying you could often get quirks (remember when a Minardi got pole?!)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I never watch the qualifying, only the actual races... but what you say does sound like a better system of doing qualifying than the elimination system.

I think a pole position bonus would only work if they went back to the old style of qualifying where there was a set hour and people could do their laps any time. Otherwise it'd just be the same few cars getting the bonuses, with the old qualifying you could often get quirks (remember when a Minardi got pole?!)

Friday Qualifying at France 2003 with Jos Verstappen! The late Justin Wilson briefly holding 3rd, before being excluded - something clearly needs to be done, knowing how predictable the hour session sometimes can be.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Money talks while talent walks.

Ocon has gone back to Mercedes as reserve driver. As part of their stable he will no doubt be transferred to a customer team in due course. He does, of course, come with a decent engine package ;)

but i still find boring the same person winning all the time

I cant warm to Hamilton and don't know why. Certainly a wonderful driver and a multi time champion but not a great champion

Geezertronic

Established Member

I never watch the qualifying, only the actual races... but what you say does sound like a better system of doing qualifying than the elimination system.

They changed qualifying to "make qualifying more exciting". With the hour qualifying there could be periods when no one was on track so qualifying was changed to make it more of a spectator sport. With the top 10 qualifiers in Q2 having to start on their Q2 fastest time tyres, that adds a bit more spice to the Q2 session and can also make it a tactical decision if the fastest tyre in qualifying is not necessarily the best tyre to start the race on.

Also when the rain comes, the Q3 times can be slower than the Q1/Q2 times which can be a bit odd :)

GB

Established Member
They changed qualifying to "make qualifying more exciting". With the hour qualifying there could be periods when no one was on track so qualifying was changed to make it more of a spectator sport.

That could be managed by requiring each driver to do x amount of timed laps...say 10-15 laps depending on circuit length. More opportunity for others to get pole, less risk of being impeded by yellow flags or traffic and you’ll probably find you will see more of the lower end of the field.[/QUOTE]

JamesT

Established Member
That could be managed by requiring each driver to do x amount of timed laps...say 10-15 laps depending on circuit length. More opportunity for others to get pole, less risk of being impeded by yellow flags or traffic and you’ll probably find you will see more of the lower end of the field.

The track normally gets faster over time as cars go round laying rubber. So you'd still have the game of chicken where everyone wants to be last out to get the best possible conditions for their run.

The_Train

Established Member
I cant warm to Hamilton and don't know why. Certainly a wonderful driver and a multi time champion but not a great champion

I kind of get what you mean, and it's something a lot of people say. However, I think his driving ability alone makes him a great champion. He's not someone who necessarily needs the quickest car to win a title as he has shown this season and that can't be said of previous champions

HOOVER29

Not an overly exciting race to be honest.

Can’t comment on the race as not seen it. Watched highlights of qualifying yesterday & if totally honest it didn’t float my boat. Always been a big fan of F1 since a certain wet day at Donington Park back in 1993. This was followed up by yearly visits to the sometimes mud bath at Silverstone. Since the pricing of watching the sport went mad I became an armchair fan.
Judging on the last few years “racing” I won’t be rushing to upgrade my cable package to include F1. I count myself lucky in that I was able to watch & personally meet two of the best F1 drivers that have lived namely Ayrton Senna & Micheal Schumacher.
Sorry if it narks people but I don’t count Hamilton as a great.
I don’t dislike the man but have never warmed to him.
So unfortunately I think after 26 years the F1 bubble has finally burst for me anyway.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
That new fastest lap rule will make things interesting. It's a pity they didn't extend it to the whole field.
I find it annoying but I can see why they only applied to the top 10 coughWilliamscough
Not an overly exciting race to be honest.
The mid-field battle was fun. Kyvat certainly proved he belongs back in the sport.

Howardh

Established Member
I'm a fan of Max and watch purely for him. But this season has already the same-old about it, and by May we will know that Bottas and Hamilton will be fighting it out (yawns) and that's it. As for the point for the fastest lap; why not it can't go to the winner meaning the also-rans have a chance to boost their total? But one point is hardly that significant?

Domh245

Established Member
coughWilliamscough

Hahahaha, haha, as if Williams would trouble anything for fastest lap

:(

As for the point for the fastest lap; why not it can't go to the winner meaning the also-rans have a chance to boost their total? But one point is hardly that significant?

I thought the same, but listening to all the drivers, as they point out it's 21 points across the season - very nearly an extra race win's worth up for grabs. Certainly seemed to be the case that all of the drivers were very interested in taking that point.

GB

Established Member
I know we are only one race in and Australia is purported to be a difficult and unique track but I hope things improve going forward because at the moment it seems pretty much the same headline stories of the last few seasons.

Mercedes showing early signs of continued dominance.
Ferrari promising but not delivering.
Mclaren faltering
Williams at the back
New aero rules didn't seem to make much difference (at least at this track)

On a side note, why is Melbourne always first in the season when it very rarely puts on an interesting race?