• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
As someone who doesn't have Sky, I was wondering do Sky have ad breaks during the free practise sessions?

I'm glad Max was on pole. I really want Hamilton to do well but I'd like a good entertaining competition. Also hoping Alonso does well.

RailAleFan

As someone who doesn't have Sky, I was wondering do Sky have ad breaks during the free practise sessions?

Yes, and also between Q1/Q2/Q3 this season which was ad-free last year as you used to hear Crofty pause whilst other broadcasters taking the Sky commentary feed opted out.

Last edited:

Non Multi

I'm glad Max was on pole. I really want Hamilton to do well but I'd like a good entertaining competition. Also hoping Alonso does well.
Yes, Sky do run ads during free practice. Big stink today (on forums elsewhere) that they were running ads between the 3 qualifying sessions.

DelW

Established Member
Five different teams represented in the top six (Red Bull, Mercedes x2, Ferrari, Alpha Tauri, McLaren). IF that's repeated through the season, it'll be the least predictable for a few years.

Surprising how well Leclerc went (p4), and how badly Vettel did (p18).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes, Sky do run ads during free practice. Big stink today (on forums elsewhere) that they were running ads between the 3 qualifying sessions.
So do viewers get the ability to subscribe to an ad-free version on top?

It seems odd to pay all that money and get ads when there is sporting action going on.

I pay a subscription to Eurosport and as part of it I get the sporting events ad free. Not all of the free live event streams have commentary but more and more are doing so. For example the alpine skiing now does.

Non Multi

So do viewers get the ability to subscribe to an ad-free version on top?

It seems odd to pay all that money and get ads when there is sporting action going on.

I pay a subscription to Eurosport and as part of it I get the sporting events ad free. Not all of the free live event streams have commentary but more and more are doing so. For example the alpine skiing now does.
Nope, not in the UK. There's the ad-free* F1TV live streaming service, but that's not available here.

If Sky do an ITV tomorrow, slotting in ads during the race, the online fury is going to be something else!

*Nearly everything in F1 is plastered in logos or ad slogans!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not that I in any way agree with it but adds are being shown between sessions, not while the cars are on track.
I thought they showed ads during the free practice itself, which would have cars on track at any time.

Nope, not in the UK. There's the ad-free* F1TV live streaming service, but that's not available here.

If Sky do an ITV tomorrow, slotting in ads during the race, the online fury is going to be something else!

*Nearly everything in F1 is plastered in logos or ad slogans!
I don't object to the ads in the background. It's just breaking away from the event

In Austria they have a small screen showing the action whilst the ads occur. RTL in Germany use to do something similar for some of their ad breaks. I wonder if that would be legal over here.

Non Multi

In Austria they have a small screen showing the action whilst the ads occur. RTL in Germany use to do something similar for some of their ad breaks. I wonder if that would be legal over here.
Pretty sure that's not allowed here.

najaB

Veteran Member
Pretty sure that's not allowed here.
I can see why showing ads in a PIP window while the main programme was full screen wouldn't be allowed, but I can't actually see a problem with showing the main programme in a PIP window over the ads would fall foul of Ofcom.

Non Multi

I can see why showing ads in a PIP window while the main programme was full screen wouldn't be allowed, but I can't actually see a problem with showing the main programme in a PIP window over the ads would fall foul of Ofcom.
I had a brief look elsewhere about this. The broadcaster can put ads in a box, but the ad has to be the largest item on screen. What complicates matters are things like ads that have regional variations. This is the main reason why ITV didn't do it when they had the rights.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I like this new innovation in F1 this year, nice of them to include an actual clown on the grid in Mazepin.
In top of that they were able to change their mind about track limits, thus causing a contraversial ending to the race

I had a brief look elsewhere about this. The broadcaster can put ads in a box, but the ad has to be the largest item on screen. What complicates matters are things like ads that have regional variations. This is the main reason why ITV didn't do it when they had the rights.
With today's broadcast technology it would be posisble to overlay action on top of the ads even with regional variations.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
F1 is a simple game: 20 cars race round the track then Mercedes win ;)

Good to see a closer race. I dont think Verstappen should have given the place back, I would have argued it out later.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Good to see a closer race. I dont think Verstappen should have given the place back, I would have argued it out later.
I agree with that, even Max said that over the radio and even intimated he would have pulled out a 5 second lead had he been given a 5 second penalty for the infringement. Given the fact that Bottas was say back, I would have expected Max to stretch a lead and argue it later

GB

Established Member
If the stewards have given you an instruction and you refuse to follow it then there is a chance the punishment will be more than a 5 second penalty....especially for an illegal action that changes the race lead and ultimately the winner.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If the stewards have given you an instruction and you refuse to follow it then there is a chance the punishment will be more than a 5 second penalty....especially for an illegal action that changes the race lead/winner.

repeat please. radio problems.

Domh245

Established Member
repeat please. radio problems.

Indeed. After all, Verstappen managed to accidentally unplug his radio during qualifying, could quite easily have happened again during the race, and he'd have been less able to plug it in during the heat of battle! ;)

najaB

Veteran Member
I would have expected Max to stretch a lead and argue it later
Way too early in the season to start earning black marks in the steward's notebooks. That's the kind of thing you do when you're down to the last few races and there's only a handful of points in it.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Also, too early in the season to really antagonise all the other teams. They don’t forget things like that!

Darandio

Established Member
If the stewards have given you an instruction and you refuse to follow it then there is a chance the punishment will be more than a 5 second penalty....especially for an illegal action that changes the race lead and ultimately the winner.

Anthony Davidson had spoken about this on Sky. On speaking with the stewards they said the punishment would have been increased to 10 seconds had he done this.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Despite perhaps popular belief, stewards are not stupid.
They were ( and are often) fairly stupid - especially with the turn 4 track limits changing from qualifying to the race!

I thought Hamilton tried to block Verstappen and offer him a crash or a run off the road. He powered round the block and took the lead. Fair move in my book.

JamesRowden

Established Member
I dont think Verstappen should have given the place back, I would have argued it out later.
Hamilton got a 30 second penalty in the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix for passing Raikkonen whilst breaking track limits, letting Raikkonen back through, remaining in the slipstream of the Ferrari, and retaking the lead into the next corner. But the penalty might not be so great now that they have penalties available smaller than a drive through. But this precedent is why Martin Brundle's suggestion, for Verstappen to let Hamilton past into the final corner and repass him into turn one using DRS, probably would not have escaped penalty.

Last edited: