• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort William line freight workings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aws87024

Hello,

In a moment of idle curiosity I decided to see what still runs on the West Highland.

I see the alumina in tanks still runs, but I also see a Mossend to Dalmally working, rated at 1200 tonnes. What is this?

Could anyone tell me what is conveyed in this train? Mossend to Fort Willian? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H68121/2016/05/10/advanced

Appreciate any help!
Mossend Down Yard to Dalmally is 6K55, an engineers working which should be Freightliner hauled.

Mossend Down Yard to Fort William J.Yd T.C. is 6Y15, loaded TTA fuel wagons (with 6E16 being the returning empties)This is a DB working, hauled today by 66103.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Mossend Down Yard to Dalmally is 6K55, an engineers working which should be Freightliner hauled.

Mossend Down Yard to Fort William J.Yd T.C. is 6Y15, loaded TTA fuel wagons (with 6E16 being the returning empties)This is a DB working, hauled today by 66103.

Interesting, thank you.

Is the TTA fuel general heating oil? Is this a fairly regular working? Realtimetrains doesn't let me check more than 7 days.

Further question, does any of the aluminium produced up there get brought out by train?

Aws87024

Interesting, thank you.

Is the TTA fuel general heating oil? Is this a fairly regular working? Realtimetrains doesn't let me check more than 7 days.

Further question, does any of the aluminium produced up there get brought out by train?

It runs as needed, normally once or twice a month.

And no, not as far as im aware.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm pretty certain that at one time trains carrying logs ran on the West Highland. Unless all of the trees have been felled I'm surprised that none of this traffic remains.

Aws87024

I'm pretty certain that at one time trains carrying logs ran on the West Highland. Unless all of the trees have been felled I'm surprised that none of this traffic remains.

There's been all sorts of flows over the years. There was an interesting feature in rail express recently about past freight on the Far North line. At some point there has been everything from washing machines to nuclear waste carried!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
There's been all sorts of flows over the years. There was an interesting feature in rail express recently about past freight on the Far North line. At some point there has been everything from washing machines to nuclear waste carried!

Yes I read that. EWS seemed to try and make a real go of Scottish rail freight when they first arrived on the scene.

atillathehunn

Established Member
As I understand it there are substantial grants available for making railfreight work in Scotland, which doubtless helps their enthusiasm.

I like the Scottish freight scene, there is plenty of variety. Our spot near the WCML in England means it's a constant procession of container trains and that's pretty much it. Work takes me to Aberdeen fairly regularly, and trundling up and down there by all means of transport means I see pipe trains, tanks of some description, containers, cement and fuel.

However it's many years, probably a decade, since I went up the West Highland. I don't believe the logs run any more, but that's only because I can't find a path for it. I think they went to Crianlarich?

There are now plans afoot to move Highland Spring water out by train as well, which would be another interesting train.

Deepgreen

Established Member
In the 1980s there were quite often mixed trains still running on the Mallaig extension, with passenger workings having a number of fuel tanks attached to supply the Mallaig trawler fleet. On a few occasions I also saw passenger trains to/from Mallaig with empty container wagons attached - I don't know the purpose of these runs.

Log trains used to run from Crianlarich and it was normal to see a few wagons in the sidings there.

Managed to lay my hands on a shot from the 80s.

Attachments

• 7159221751_98a5430b92_k.jpg
    7159221751_98a5430b92_k.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.