• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort William sleeper connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Does anyone know if the 1950 Fort William-London sleeper waits if the 1937 arrival from Mallaig (ex 1815) is late?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They share a guard. The guard off the Mallaig service is also the guard of the Sleeper so they have no choice but to wait!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They don't but as far as I'm aware Scotrail guards are being loaned to Caledonian Sleeper for the time being.

anti-pacer

Established Member
They don't but as far as I'm aware Scotrail guards are being loaned to Caledonian Sleeper for the time being.

Fantastic. Your info has been really helpful Ainsworth, thank you.

I'm booked on 2 sleepers. Sunday night from Paddington to St Erth, and Wednesday night from Fort William to Euston. Also booked the ATW Cardiff-Holyhead (to Bangor) to sample 'Gerald' and his cuisine.

Do VT do a full breakfast in 1st class on the 0722 Bangor-Euston service does anyone know?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Correct. The Scotrail guard from the 1815 Mallaig - Fort William (arr 1937) works the sleeper to Rannoch. Absolutely safe connection.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Fantastic. Your info has been really helpful Ainsworth, thank you.

I'm booked on 2 sleepers. Sunday night from Paddington to St Erth, and Wednesday night from Fort William to Euston. Also booked the ATW Cardiff-Holyhead (to Bangor) to sample 'Gerald' and his cuisine.

Do VT do a full breakfast in 1st class on the 0722 Bangor-Euston service does anyone know?

A selection of cereal* & juices followed by a choice of the following:

Hot breakfast

English Muffin filled with bacon

Cream cheese and chive omelette (v) (gf) with or without smoked salmon

Porridge (v)

Fresh fruit salad (v) (gf) with optional yoghurt and honey

You will also be offered pastries as well as coffee and Fairtrade Tea.

Taken from Virgins website.
And yes you should be.
Sam

trentside

Established Member
Correct. The Scotrail guard from the 1815 Mallaig - Fort William (arr 1937) works the sleeper to Rannoch. Absolutely safe connection.

Presumably they change with a guard from elsewhere at Rannoch then?

Often wondered where they ended up!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Appears it crosses the last train from Glasgow at Rannoch. I presumer the guard from Fort William to Rannoch is based at Fort William, and the guard from Rannoch onwards is based in the central belt? Is there another change of guard in Glasgow, or is it an Edinburgh working?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Presumably they change with a guard from elsewhere at Rannoch then?

Often wondered where they ended up!

Not sure if it's still the same, but the guard off the last Glasgow-Fort William used to get off at Rannoch and work the sleeper south. I remember that because, many years ago, I was on that train and doing the sleeper back south myself. The northbound train was a few minutes late, and we were concerned that, with RETB, the sleeper could get the road at Rannoch and we'd miss it - however, the guard assured us it wouldn't leave, as he was working it back!

gsnedders

Established Member
Appears it crosses the last train from Glasgow at Rannoch. I presumer the guard from Fort William to Rannoch is based at Fort William, and the guard from Rannoch onwards is based in the central belt? Is there another change of guard in Glasgow, or is it an Edinburgh working?

My vague memory of this is a change of guard at Glasgow Queen Street (LL) for the Airdrie–Bathgate line.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The guard changed at Queen Street a couple of weeks ago when I was on the service. I told the guard I was getting off there (as I couldn't remember if it was a request stop or set down only). He let me out of the door in the guards van to save having to release the doors.

I suspect that getting onto the train at GLQ would be practically impossible (unlike many other set down only trains).

Status
Not open for further replies.