• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort William sleeper lounge questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
Has anyone used this lounge recently and is is any good/worth visiting?
I think there are showers there but are towels provided and is there a charge for them?
Also are there charging points there?
If the sleeper is very late arriving in to Fort William will they keep it open later than 12:30 to allow sleeper passengers to use it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Has anyone used this lounge recently and is is any good/worth visiting?
I think there are showers there but are towels provided and is there a charge for them?
Also are there charging points there?
If the sleeper is very late arriving in to Fort William will they keep it open later than 12:30 to allow sleeper passengers to use it?
I would expect they do keep it open/reopen it.

I had the Inverness lounge reopened when I arrived on a HST at Midday for the 5 or so of us that had onwards connections. That was despite being a pleb booked in the seats.

There's showers and charging points in Inverness, so I'd assume there would be at Fort Bill.

I used the Fort William sleeper lounge last July, within a week of it opening.

It's a very lovely lounge, really good showers and plenty of refreshments. The lady in charge of the lounge was brilliant and very helpful too. My mother in law had a 1st class ticket and we had standard. Standard ticket holders can pay £5 each to use the showers but the lady let us stay in the lounge and use the facilities after we had finished our showers. Told us to help ourselves to whatever we wanted. (I don't know if it's normal practise to let Standard Ticket holders stay after using the showers though...it was quiet when we were there and I suspect she was being kind to us)

It was in the middle of last summer's heatwave and the air con in there is very effective.

Well worth visiting in my opinion. Hopefully, it's just as good now as it was during opening week.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The showers are in the toilets, not the lounge, aren't they? Or have CS added their own? The rule used to be free for First Class (so Club I guess), chargeable for others. Towels and soap/gel provided.

Curiously, when you pay you get an "orange card" ticket for shower access (though they also give you the key) which is quite unusual I guess!

They are quite nice and well worth a fiver if you've come down from say wild camping in the mountains.

The showers are in the toilets, not the lounge, aren't they? Or have CS added their own? The rule used to be free for First Class (so Club I guess), chargeable for others. Towels and soap/gel provided.

CS have put their own in the lounge...very good they are too. I wasn't aware there were also showers in the toilets at the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
CS have put their own in the lounge...very good they are too. I wasn't aware there were also showers in the toilets at the station.

Yep, have been for years. You pay at the ticket office. I have a feeling, thinking on, that those ones are only £3.50, too. They are just inside the (gents) toilets on the right, I think there are two.

Though as CS are the main thing they are there for, I wonder if they may end up being closed. I hope not, as they are open to all comers even if not travelling.

VT 390

Established Member
I used the lounge on Wednesday morning an I have to say I was very impressed with it as the service there from the staff was very good and the showers were really nice to.

Established Member
Looks a nice lounge from outside. Not open just now as the morning arrival hasn't got here yet. Just the 4 hours late at the moment. Closes at 12.30 but reopens at 16.00 so the evening passengers could meet the morning ones at this rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.