• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forth Rail Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
If I wanted to go on a train tomorrow, over the Forth Rail Bridge, where should my train destination be?? Or, If I was going to change at Edinburgh, what trains should I get??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
And whats the first station after the Forth Bridge??

Bayum

Established Member
Awww thats nice =)

Shame all i'm getting is a *wikipedia doesn't have an article on this*

=( =( =(

rail-britain

Established Member
If you are heading northbound, then Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley to Inverkeithing

will1337

North Queensferry is just at the North side of the bridge, there's a park with a football pitch in not far left of the station uphill slightly on the left hand side (coming in from the south) with views of the rail and road bridges and steps down to the A90 so you can walk along the road bridge. The place pretty much is the cliff of the estuary. There's a shop inbetween the station and the view from the top and at the bottom there is a hotel, cafe and museum about the bridge. I went at about 8am and it was almost entirely deserted.

djw1981

Established Member
However, our 'great' prime minister lives near to the station, so if waiting, you may get a quick check from the police - all they want to do is check your name and what you are doing - they are fine with photography etc, as long as you are not photographing his house, and they are fairly friendly about it all.

Jord

Or maybe you could get a Aberdeen train as far as Dundee so you go over the Tay Bridge as well.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . and that's why I've chosen it as my avatar!

Here's a video from the cab of a 158 crossing the bridge. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XLvSWDgYCu8
Notice the jolt and slight drop as the cab drops down onto the bridge's pier?

But my favourite place is the rear terrace of the Orinoco cafe/bar in North Queensferry, over the beach halfway between the road and rail bridges. You see almost constant traffic on the rail bridge - HSTs, local DMUs on the Fife loop, coal, nuclear flasks, XCs, and all the specials. (Quality food and coffee too!). Its a 15 min walk from Dalmeny station.

mbonwick

Established Member
But my favourite place is the rear terrace of the Orinoco cafe/bar in North Queensferry, over the beach halfway between the road and rail bridges. You see almost constant traffic on the rail bridge - HSTs, local DMUs on the Fife loop, coal, nuclear flasks, XCs, and all the specials. (Quality food and coffee too!). Its a 15 min walk from Dalmeny station.

South Queensferry, surely? That's where my cousin is getting married in September, no prizes for guessing what my mind will be on?

Waverley125

Get a Scotrail Fife Circle train to North Queensferry-IIRC Fife Circle are quarter-hourly so you'll have a 10 minute wait before your return 170 comes through from inkerkeithing. Alterativley, you could ask for a return to Kirkcaldy and do the whole Fife Circle. Departing Waverley it will be advertised as a Kirkcaldy train but after Haymarket it becomes Edinburgh Waverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.