• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forthcoming rolling stock orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
^ or how's about not making them 7-car.
With some 7, others 9 and more still at 11, it will make things far too difficult. I should think any new Pendolino's will arrive as 9-car, if not 11.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
^ or how's about not making them 7-car.
With some 7, others 9 and more still at 11, it will make things far too difficult. I should think any new Pendolino's will arrive as 9-car, if not 11.
I agree: Order some more eleven coach Pendolinos so that all the West Coast services currently operated by Pendolinos are 11-car, and then cascade the remaining 9-car units onto the duties currently operated by 221s.

daniel3982

Does anybody think we will see another DMU order for a generation? Would love to see something along the lines of the new DMU in Northern Ireland ordered for over here.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
With Kings Cross - Cambridge - Kings Lynn services going over to IEP does this mean they will be merged into the East Coast franchise?

Is there an RUS for the IEP or a similar type document detailing the specs of the train? Would be interested to read it.

Nope, they will remain part of the super Thameslink franchise and the IEPs will be entirely different interior to the EC ones.

And I'm not sure about RUS/specs document as they seem to change every five minutes.

dave59

I agree: Order some more eleven coach Pendolinos so that all the West Coast services currently operated by Pendolinos are 11-car, and then cascade the remaining 9-car units onto the duties currently operated by 221s.

...But at the speed at which these things happen the new 11 car sets should be built with the current order. Or will Alstom be able to startup production (yet again) of the 390 type in say 3/4 years time?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
...But at the speed at which these things happen the new 11 car sets should be built with the current order. Or will Alstom be able to startup production (yet again) of the 390 type in say 3/4 years time?

To me, and this is only an opinion, Alstom seem pretty in tune with whats going on with IEP, I dont think they would risk completely getting rid of the production line (I dont know the technical details of that) until that comes to a conclusion. EC have made it clear they would prefer pendys and to an extent so have GW and with ICWC up for renewal as well as GA they wouldnt want to risk missing out on IC stock.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Does anybody think we will see another DMU order for a generation? Would love to see something along the lines of the new DMU in Northern Ireland ordered for over here.

We will need to (unless we are going to make Pacers DDA compliance, which would be silly money) - the current electrification plans for the rest of this decade will only really cover growth rather than allowing old units to be scrapped.

Part of the reason being that we are electrifying main lines (London to Cardiff, the TPE line from Manchester to York) but these don't have many Pacers/150s on them (to me, we should concentrate on areas like the Valley Lines around Cardiff and the Snow Hill lines around Birmingham).

So, yeah, some "basic" DMUs will be required before the decade ends.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I do note that 7 carriage Pendolinos (if they can piece together a formation with only one or two disabled toilets and a reasonable seating count) would prove useful for the post HS2 Birmingham and later Manchester trains.

When HS2 arrives swap the 7 carriage and 9/11 carriage Pendos over.

BR Blue

What happened to the April announcement for future rolling stock requirements?

It seems to have gone very quiet over at the DfT.

Class377/5

Established Member
Nope, they will remain part of the super Thameslink franchise and the IEPs will be entirely different interior to the EC ones.

And I'm not sure about RUS/specs document as they seem to change every five minutes.

That's if Kings Lynn gets IEP. Best money for soluation is keeping the 365's. Much cheaper all round.

What happened to the April announcement for future rolling stock requirements?

It seems to have gone very quiet over at the DfT.

Maybe they're busy ordering the new class 700 (new Thameslink trains)?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
6r perhaps they have realised what a political OG They scored with there earlier announcement Re TL stock and are afraid of the same backlash? i would be!
Odly enough though they aint the only gov to go quiet on a big transport announcement due last momth. At the wrisk of going OT the Scottish government were due to announce the new contracts for Northern Isles lifeline ferry routes in April and havnt. Another OG?

Status
Not open for further replies.