Forthcoming trip : Carlisle - Glasgow on Scotrail.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by General Zod, 14 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Zod

General Zod Member

Hi !
    I'm travelling up to Glasgow in a few weeks and unfortunately, my trip falls during an engineering weekend. It's Virgin trains to Carlisle and then a 2hr 22min journey to Glasgow via Scotrail. I have never had the good fortune to travel on this much slower route which serves local stations and was wondering if there are any good views / junctions / disused stations / signal boxes to look out for en route ?
    Full journey :

Dep : 13:12 Carlisle

13:23 Gretna Green
    13:31 Annan
    13:50 Dumfries
    14:16 Sanquhar
    14:21 Kirkconnel
    14:30 New Cumnock
    14:38 Auchinleck
    14:57 Kilmarnock
    15:01 Kilmaurs
    15:06 Stewarton
    15:11 Dunlop

Arr : 15:34 Glasgow Central

Thanks.

2. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

The only thing I can remember of interest is the coal yards in New Cumnock. Bear in mind this goes back to January 2011, when I am swear signalboxes were about, but over 4 years later things have probably changed!

3. 30907

30907 Established Member

After Auchinleck comes Ballochmyle viaduct, the tallest in the UK and then Mauchline Jn for Ayr (freight). Dumfries and Kilmarnock stations are both nice, and K has the Barclay works (Wabtec now?) sidings after the station. Sit on the left for preference. Lots of other viaducts - use satellite view to get an overview.

4. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

Not been north of Dumfries for several years, but between Carlisle and Dumfries, there are still some remains of closed stations. Signal boxes at Annan (on left**, just after station) and Dumfries (on right, north end of platform) still existed last Autumn.

(** - as viewed from northbound train, assuming you are facing forwards)

5. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Killie-Barrhead is a pleasant run, especially on a bright day, sitting on the left as you will travel probably offers the best views. Cannot comment for Annan-Killie alas, it's been years since I did that stretch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.