• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Font Size after Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
The forum default font size appears to have shrunk after the upgrade, I now need to use Chrome to upscale to be able to read it easily. I have no issues with other websites, though I do need reading glasses for VDU work, only around +1.5.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed and if there was an option for a larger font hidden somewhere in preferences. or if the global setting could be upped a little?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Oops sorry. I didn't read it properly :oops:

No worries.

It does appear that magnification is "sticky" and only applies to the Forum. I can have a number of tabs open and only the forum ones will be magnified; it does seem to apply to all of the tabs.

bspahh

Established Member
You might find that it helps to do a force refresh. This will download fresh copies of all the files to display the page.

On Windows, to do a force refresh, hold down the Ctrl key and press the F5 function key.

eastdyke

Established Member
The forum default font size appears to have shrunk after the upgrade, I now need to use Chrome to upscale to be able to read it easily. I have no issues with other websites, though I do need reading glasses for VDU work, only around +1.5.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed and if there was an option for a larger font hidden somewhere in preferences. or if the global setting could be upped a little?
Control and + also works for Firefox. With my (poor) eyesight :frown:, I am currently at 120% :).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

It's probably because everyone is using the Internet more while everyone has to stay at home. The forum needs to send smaller letters to save Internet bandwidth while there's such heavy demand. ;)

(But yes, seriously, I noticed too. upping the magnification was about the first thing I did when I logged in after the upgrade. I'm very happy that Chrome remembers magnification on a per-site basis).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
@Mojo in his announcement of the early introduction of the new style website did say that the forum staff had allowed the new style website to be launched in order that website members could still make postings, but was mindful that certain refinements were still in progress and asked people not to contact them, as they were already dealing with such unresolved matters. It was further stated that more update news would soon follow and at the same time, postings of query could then be raised.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
@Mojo in his announcement of the early introduction of the new style website did say that the forum staff had allowed the new style website to be launched in order that website members could still make postings, but was mindful that certain refinements were still in progress and asked people not to contact them, as they were already dealing with such unresolved matters. It was further stated that more update news would soon follow and at the same time, postings of query could then be raised.

Did I contact @Mojo ? Any mention of what the "refinements" were to come?

Not unreasonable to start a thread, IMHO.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
FWIW I actually rather like it - it would be nice if it was switchable. It makes very good use of screen real-estate in a way many modern sites don't. I suppose along similar lines I could zoom the browser *out*, though.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
To me the real problem isn't so much the absolute font size - because, no matter whether it's too big or too small, you can always zoom the browser to suit your preferences - it's that the font size has become too small relative to all the other screen paraphernalia. I've increased the font size to make it big enough to be comfortable for me to read (on a PC) but that means people's avatars and some of the editing tools feel slightly too big. I guess really it needs an option to set the font size in the user preferences, but I can't see one there.

Having said that, this is obviously a process in development, so I'm guessing there may be refinements in the next few days. And there is something about the overall style that looks pretty cool, although I'm not clear exactly what's changed.

skyhigh

Established Member
FWIW I actually rather like it - it would be nice if it was switchable. It makes very good use of screen real-estate in a way many modern sites don't. I suppose along similar lines I could zoom the browser *out*, though.
Before the update I always kept the zoom to 80% - I've played around with it since and still prefer it there. I guess it's down to personal preference!

snail

Established Member
+1 here for a switchable font. I find the thread lists hard to read because the Verdana bold font is too large for me. I'm using Stylish to knock it down to Geneva 12px. and the thread text to 13px.

Tw99

I've noticed the same thing. I usually read the forum on an Android tablet, and it's very noticeable that the body text is extremely small (in fact I suspect it's the smallest possible legible size) while a lot of the other elements have got bigger. E.g. the list of threads in a forum doesn't show as many threads per screen as it used to.

A small change, to increase the post body text size would make a massive difference to the usability of the new scheme.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I agree that the font size could do with increasing - also, maybe it's time to move away from Verdana as the font choice? Other typefaces such as Roboto, Open Sans, Inter and Helvetica are far more readable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
While Chrome allows you to scale a site and it remembers it (even on other devices you're logged into), other browsers don't and if you scale one page it then does the same for all new tabs opened.

Cletus

Established Member
While Chrome allows you to scale a site and it remembers it (even on other devices you're logged into), other browsers don't and if you scale one page it then does the same for all new tabs opened.

The "Ctrl+" was a new thing for me when mentioned upthread. Used the function on WNXX too! :smile:

trainophile

Established Member
My problem is that when I zoom the text big enough to read comfortably, the right hand side of the text box disappears off my screen, so I have to keep scrolling side to side to read a post. A narrower text box would help with this, so that having larger text is possible while keeping the whole width of the posting on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.