• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Popups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Hey all, Ive recently noticed when clicking on some threads, two popup pages appear, has anyone else been getting this recently?

Yew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
No pop ups this end. I'd suggest you scan your computer as its sounds like you have some kind of adware installed.

Yew

Established Member
Are they advertisements?

Yes they are, ill run spybot and see if anything comes up. Ill take a note of the thread if it comes up again, and try to replicate the results..

valenta

Yes they are, ill run spybot and see if anything comes up. Ill take a note of the thread if it comes up again, and try to replicate the results..

That does sound dodgy - but spy bot is usually good at finding malicious software.

Yew

Established Member
That does sound dodgy - but spy bot is usually good at finding malicious software.

Unfortunately nothing has came up, ill run a virus check tomorrow (its getting around time for one anyway) I'll report back if any more popups come up.

Y

SS4

Established Member
No pop-ups here I'd say it's either malware and/or scareware to trick you into installing a virus.

If you run firefox, chrome or chromium then noscript and/or ghostery are good extensions to have. A Redirect Remover addon won't hurt

Yew

Established Member
Thanks, been having som problems with avast, it doersnt seem to be working, which Antivirus was the other free one? Was it AVG? Hopefully I can change over to that, then try scanning.

I've scanned using spybot, and deleted soem of the general stuff yuou get from day to day use, now im downloading malwarebites, and scanning with windows defender :)

SS4

Established Member
AVG is a free antivirus as are Microsoft Security Essentials and/or windows defender too. Clamav is a free one but it had a tendency to give false positives.

Also malwarebytes as linked a couple of posts above

Lrd

Established Member
Use Ccleaner ( Crap Cleaner) it clears out all sorts of temporary files which don't get deleted normally ( like cookies, cache, various program files) all of which can be safely removed. The Windows version also scans the registry for any issues and fixes them.

It's an amazing piece of software and is free!

Clip

Established Member
Yeah CCleaner first then DL malwarebytes BUT make sure you update it before you do a full scan.

Avast shouldnt be giving you any problems, update that prog too, if not, delete it then reinstall it. Its much better than AVG.

If you still have problems, download Hijack this and go post th elog on one of the forums it shows you before you do anything to it as that way you can remove stuff that may be left behind and unnessecery(SP)

Yew

Established Member
Ive used Malwarebites, spybot, and AVG (avast wtill wont work) however te popups still wont stop (some even seem to be coming up in windows) Could I have alink ofr CCleaner, and any other sugestions

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you are really stuck, then I recommend Bleeping Computer Discussion Forums personally.

I have used them a few times, once when my housemate got my old desktop computer infected with some pretty nasty virus. The replies might take time, however if you're reasonably computer-literate they can take you through step-by-step in how to resolve the problems you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.