• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum problem - can't comment on first thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Evening all.

I have had a technical issue with the forum for more than a year, and I've now caved in to ask for help.

I usually access the forum without logging in, only doing so to reply to another comment on any given thread. Typically, I will press the 'reply' or 'quote' button, then be directed to the log in page, where I enter name and password. More often than not, it accepts the password, but rather than loading up the text box for writing my comment, it returns me to the thread I was reading and appears not to have logged me in; there is no 'log out' script at the top of the page. If I press reply or quote again in the same thread, exactly the same happens, again, i.e. it sends me to the log in page again, and appears not to log me in. Ultimately I can't write a comment on that thread. However if I go to any other thread, I actually am logged in and can comment at will without I any further need to log in.

The same happens if I log in using the boxes at the top of the page - whichever thread I go to first will not let me comment, but all the others do.

This doesn't happen every time, and seems to happen in batches; I might have a week or two with no issues, then a few weeks with it happening most of the time (but not every time).

It is not random threads, it only happens on the first thread I try, regardless of which thread, and which forum / sub forum the thread is in.

It is not related to the carrier - it happens regardless of whether I am on 3G, 4G or wifi, and regardless of which wifi - home, public or work (break times only, obviously).

I only ever use iPads to access the forum, but it happens with all 4 that I use. By chance they are on 4 different versions of iOS so it's not that either.

It has got to the stage where if I want to comment on a thread, I go to another thread first to comment, fail, but then go back to the one I really wanted which will work.

Does anyone else experience this? Or is it just me ? Is this the mods deliberately trying to annoy me into advising when the first Class 700 in public service is? Or what is really happening to the 442s?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Don't think it's just you. I've not been on here long enough to narrow down the issue quite so tightly but I'm having a similar issue. Namely although logged in from the start of the session the first attempt to post results in the post being rejected and finding myself logged out. Not great if that post took a bit of time to compose and type.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Don't think it's just you. I've not been on here long enough to narrow down the issue quite so tightly but I'm having a similar issue. Namely although logged in from the start of the session the first attempt to post results in the post being rejected and finding myself logged out. Not great if that post took a bit of time to compose and type.

I can help you there - if it does this, and you think you have lost your carefully crafted exposition, just press the back button a few times to go back through the log in pages and you will find what you wrote. Saved me a few times.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Thanks for the tip. I have just dicovered that the issue affects the first submission subject, whether it be a thread or a PM. HTH the admins.

cf111

Established Member
Have you tried using a different browser? I'm assuming you're using Safari on the iPad but if you download Firefox and give it a go on that does the same happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.