• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The forum will be unavailable this evening from around 21.00 Hrs for up to an hour to allow for maintenance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The update has been completed and the forum is now back online.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Which App? We do not have an official forum App, if there are any Apps which you are having trouble with then any issues should be directed to the manager of that App as unfortunately any such issues are beyond our control. If you cannot get it fixed, might I suggest the 'Lightweight' style which is designed for Touchscreen devices. Also coming soon is a new update which will make the forum even better on mobile devices!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Presumably someone else had the token and you couldn't get one until they put it back into the machine.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Which App? We do not have an official forum App, if there are any Apps which you are having trouble with then any issues should be directed to the manager of that App as unfortunately any such issues are beyond our control. If you cannot get it fixed, might I suggest the 'Lightweight' style which is designed for Touchscreen devices. Also coming soon is a new update which will make the forum even better on mobile devices!

I assume he is still using the old app that was removed from the app stores a while back.

Crossover

Established Member
Erm the RailUKForum app on my mobile, same logo as RailForumUk

thought it was an offical app.

It was an official app, but it is no longer officially supported or accessible via the App Store (Apple). Maybe in due course there will be a new one when the forum gets the next major update (costs of hosting the app were cited as the reason for it no longer being available, in another thread). Some people just seem to go on the defensive in these cases rather than being remotely helpful.....

Starmill

Veteran Member
As far as I can see, the forum's lack of presence in the iOS and Android App marketplaces does little enough good for it's credibility as it is, without being like that about it.

The reasons behind their absence are understandable, but that doesn't change the fact that it's what people expect these days.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The iOS version of the App referred to elsewhere is working for me, although I have not attempted to make a new post.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I assume he is still using the old app that was removed from the app stores a while back.

Erm the RailUKForum app on my mobile, same logo as RailForumUk

thought it was an offical app.

Ah that one! It vanished from the Apple Store a while back due to financial reasons in addition to the fact that at this present stage because the majority of our users do not want one, although we do maintain support for the controversial Tapatalk App at present. There is an App on the Android store however this is not controlled by us, although it did used to be ours, which I'm guessing is the one being talked about here.

Crossover

Established Member
Oh come on Mojo, this isn't the secret society! You know full well what the state of play is, as do we all, as you posted it publicly in another thread!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am not sure what you are talking about or where I have given any indications about being secretive!

Nothing has been said which differs from http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90926 or http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91579.

We don't have any Apps since they were deleted from the Apple/Play Store, but our old App was re-uploaded to the Play Store. For the sake of clarity, the apps have been discontinued due to the costs associated, and the low levels of usage.

Unfortunately that means that any errors or issues related to these apps are no longer within our control. We would recommend using alternative themes available on the forum, Mobile or Lightweight (for smart phones).

Cletus

Established Member
I have a Nokia lumia windows phone and today the whole format of the forum has changed.
Amongst other things it screw is difficult to go the last viewed entry, the sizing of the threads no longer fits the screen.

Is this a problem at your end or mine?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have a Nokia lumia windows phone and today the whole format of the forum has changed.
Amongst other things it screw is difficult to go the last viewed entry, the sizing of the threads no longer fits the screen.

Is this a problem at your end or mine?
What style are you using? I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with Nokia Lumia however looking at Google it seems to be a fairly modern Smartphone. In which case you may prefer to use the Lightweight style
(http://www.railforums.co.uk/?styleid=177)
which is better for Touchscreen devices, but you should have no issues with using the Default style
(http://www.railforums.co.uk/index.php?&styleid=1).
This is what I use on my Smartphone. If you are using the Mobi style then this is also available and would be the quickest to load, but obviously is limited in what it can do.

By the way, ideally this thread should be used for discussion about any issues or questions as a result of the forum update on June 9th, to avoid confusion. Ideally such questions would be sent in via email or PM.

Why is Tapatalk controversial?
For example inserting advertisements within forum posts (which appear to everyone), affecting advertising revenues of forums by inserting their own ads and only passing on the returns in limited circumstances, privacy concerns, and how they expect forum owners to kowtow to their needs in many cases rather than allowing people to do their own things. On a personal note, I just don't like browsing forums or websites via Apps, and it's especially annoying when you log on to a website and get presented with a popup telling you to go to some App when you can see the website trying to load in the background!

Cletus

Established Member
ok thanks mojo, didn't notice update date.

Now I've gone back to the forum the main problems seen to have resolved. Thanks again.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ok thanks mojo, didn't notice update date.

Now I've gone back to the forum the main problems seen to have resolved. Thanks again.
Does the Lightweight style work okay for you, or do you prefer browsing via the Default style?

Cletus

Established Member
I've always used the mobile site. Just linked to lightweight & that works ok. Default shows as if using a pc so no good for my mobile.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's not always practical to warn forum members. All websites have unexpected downtime when there is some sort of unforeseen technical problem with hardware or software. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid, and, like delays on the railway, it's often impossible for those working to find out what is wrong and fix it to provide an accurate timescale for resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.